Mallory Park

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by R32 GTR, Sep 30, 2013.

1. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

I can't see the residents wanting a housing estate and all the noise that goes with building one.
    So I hope this leads to some workable agreement with any new owners there must be someone in motorsport rich enough to save it

2. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

im sure that when a new housing estate is built a portion of it has to be for housing association properties.
    I don't know why you would want to live there any way its miles from anywhere.

3. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

Terrible news :(

4. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Posted on another forum:

Mallory Park - Into Administration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst this is not body repair industry news, we know that many of our members are real motorsport fans:

It is with great regret that Mallory Park Motorsport Limited has today announced that the company has been put into Administration.

Mallory Park has been operating as a motorcycle and car race circuit for many years and has much history attaching to the circuit.
    In 1985 a highly restrictive Noise Notice was attached to Mallory Park embracing all circuit activities but, significantly, a number of the provisions within the Notice were very much open to interpretation.

Mallory Park has enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council over the years and a level of understanding had been established to work within the 1985 Notice.

Regrettably, however, this arrangement was placed under scrutiny by local residents some of whom were new to the village, who made representations to the council to apply the rigid interpretation of the 1985 Notice.

Mallory Park and the local authority worked extremely hard with the residents to find a compromise solution but, unfortunately, the council decided to prosecute Mallory Park on five charges of the Notice during 2012 which involved operating on a Saturday over and above the four days agreed in the Notice.

The court hearing took place in August 2013 and ruled that Mallory Park was guilty of this breach on the five occasions, but Mallory Park was given the right to take the establishment rights of the 1985 Notice to a higher court.

The immediate implication of the Court decision was to oblige Mallory Park to observe the provision of the 1985 Notice, which allows only for 40 days racing on Sundays per annum (but with a dispensation to allow four Saturdays per annum) and testing on Wednesdays.

Mallory Park was accordingly obliged to cancel all track day operations, resulting in a significant loss of income (a situation also felt by local businesses and local employers) and use of the track for local community activities - young driver training etc.

Overall, the imposition of such restrictions has inevitably led to Mallory Park having a financially unstable business plan.

Following the Court case, Mallory Park immediately implemented the highly restrictive conditions of the 1985 Notice, thus effectively reducing the circuit activity to two days per week.

Significant losses were being incurred which no business can sustain.

It was clear that a more dynamic approach needed to be taken to overcome the significant hurdles and two weeks ago Mallory Park developed an innovative three stage Recovery Plan to take Mallory Park forwards - which would hopefully meets the wishes of the residents and form the basis of a viable business.

Very constructive dialogue was held with the Leader of the local council and senior officials and we were receiving very encouraging reactions from them to the Recovery Plan.

A fundamental component of the Recovery Plan was the agreement of the landowner to reduce the annual lease rental, which had risen by over 40% over the last eight years and had reached untenable levels.

Very regrettably, despite intense work by the Mallory Park board, the landowner, Titan Properties Ltd, refused to make a substantive offer to allow the Recovery Plan to proceed.

British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) were keen to support Mallory Park (and did so up to the final race meeting yesterday by paying for certain essential supplies allowing the meeting to place) and indeed would have supported Mallory Park to ensure all its trade creditors were paid.

To that end, it needed the support of the landowner with a sustainable rent but, regrettably, this was not possible to achieve.

Accordingly, having no firm visibility into 2014 and beyond, Mallory Park directors had no option but to place the company into Administration.

The administrator, Ian Robert of Kingston Smith & Partners LLP, commented:

"I will be working with all the stakeholders to ensure that Mallory Park will see racing again. I hope the administration process can assist in finding a solution which will be beneficial to all parties concerned.

"To that end, I will be negotiating with the landowner and the council, with the support of the BARC, to ensure that racing can be enjoyed at Mallory Park for years to come.

"Although it is early days, I am hopeful that, once a solution to the lease is found, all of the company's creditors should receive a substantial dividend, which I understand is very much the driving force behind the continued support of the BARC."

5. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

A £12k a week income really isn't going to cut it is it!

I've had some of the best days of my life in cars and on bikes at mallory park!!!

A mega shame BUT this is the world we live in. It's only going to get worse as the population increases!

Can the admins save it?!?! I dont know but i'd be expecting an 88db limit, it'd be better than nothing!

If i can achieve this with static and drive by tests on calibrated equipment on A ferrari 458 and Lamborghini Murcielago then i'm sure many many of the potential users of the track can as well!!!

Titan properties LTD - Today made a statement saying that there was and IS an offer of reduced rent for the circuit. They also said that they had received multiple enquires for lease and purchase from property developers as well as motorsport companies.

Lets see what happens i guess.
    If it does go housing estate, at least there'll be a shit ton of jobs generated off the back of it!!! Every cloud and all that!

#25 hug - lo, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

It's all a bit of a mess, but my understanding from speaking to some very well informed parties is that this is exactly the cause of the problem. There was a careful balanced agreement that had been in place for years and everyone was happy with, but in recent years and under recent management, this agreement was totally disrespected and pushed beyond breaking point in the pursuit of financial gain.
    Sad times..

7. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

Sad times indeed

This quoted direct from piston heads by one of the residents. It seems the owners of Mallery are deliberately trying to Blaim the residents

Quote from PH

8. E30jack

E30jack New Member

This is gutting. Ever since awsomefest iv been wanting a crack at gerrards corner. Looks like its not gunna happen now

9. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

this is sad news but they brought it on themselves they broke the rules I just hope they can come to some agreement and get it back up and running

10. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

Total bollocks, also the circuit was prosecuted for breaches of the agreement during the 2012 season, but hey let's blame drifting and MX, as that's the easy option

11. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

So sick of this shit, VMCC, Triumph Festival, Queen tribute charity night, all ran music later that awesomefest during the weekends they were held, also all had attendance of more than 4 times what AF had, also the complaints apparently against AF included vehicles blocking driveways in the village, Fireworks display held after 11 pm, Loud music on a Sunday evening, people crapping in Gardens etc., absolutely none of these issues were at AF, but it was easier to blame the new event than have hassle with very profitable existing events and as I said in my previous post, the council fines were for breaches throughout 2012 when most of the above events continued but AF didn't, so make up your own mind

12. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

Bob I think you'll find the late night music comments were caused by the sxoc lads firing their sound system up in the camping area (closer to the residents) after the official awesome fest entertainment finished.

13. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

I'm pretty torn on all of this to be honest.

Nice to hear stories from both sides of the coin. Very interesting to see how things compare. Not sure which are facts though and which are stretching truth to support their own side. I can understand the argument from both sides.

However, my standpoint is this; despite laws in place to allow noisy/loud days or whatever, the fact remains that this is a racing circuit. Racing cars are loud, whether necessary or not, period. Why should a circuit have to actually go against what it's primary intentions are, just to appease people who happen to live near by? Why does a law even exist about this? I'm sure my opinion on this would be different if I was actually one of the residents - but that is precisely the point - I would not move next to a racing track, expecting peace and quiet, at ANY time of the week. Why are there laws even in place to so heavily restrict the noise output of a place where noise comes with the territory? But hey, that's a whole different discussion. If I moved to a location close to a race track, I would go there fully expecting noise at any time - although of course, ideally not at night - but in general what racing occurs overnight anyway? I see the problem here being people looking at buying houses, thinking 'oh, they only allow 2 loud days a week. How bad can that be? We can put up with that'.

Equally though, parking in front of drives and shitting in gardens is NOT ON. I seriously hope no one from Awesomefest partook in any of those activities, if you did you should be ashamed of yourself.

#33 Andy_F, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  14. mint

mint touch my fruit

^ What he said.

I also think this noise complaint shit is just over PC complaints with people with fuck all else to do. I feel real bad for the residents.. Oh wait.. how about you live next to an airport where we have heli's leaving every hour with like 5 fixed wings in between.. all day, The noise that comes from these aircraft shakes my desk and has ruined my hearing.. All the locals complain.. Guess what, I chose the job in the same way the locals chose their house.

This worlds full of people moaning for the sake of bloody moaning.. and in the end it just ruins' peoples fun. From where im sitting, enjoying your life is far more important than anything else.

I also live a stone's throw from a track where events are held all the time, Yeah its noisy.. but its a fucking track. Of course its going to be noisy... I wouldnt dream of walking up there and moaning about laws and legal and rules and shit.. We all know the legal system is a fucking joke, so the resident's comment on 'Its breaking the law so yeah!' means very little of anything. Why follow a broken system? Its horseshit..

15. docwra

docwra Active Member

But to take the other side, I live on the Stansted flight path - I knew it was there before I moved etc. etc. so dont complain, mainly as there isnt much activity through the hours when Im trying to sleep.

But if they started flying every 15 minutes all through the night Id be the first to kick off as its not the deal that I signed up for when I bought the house, I think this is the same problem with MP - if they stuck to what they had agreed no matter how pissed off the residents were they wouldnt be able to complain, or at least wouldnt be able to do anything about it.

For you or me the sound of a racetrack is a beautiful thing, but for Mrs Miggins with the overactive hearing aid, or Trucker John who works nights and suffers from insomnia anyway its not, while I wouldnt be moaning myself I can see where they are coming from ........ :(

16. scouse

scouse Active Member

Intresting bit is that in 1985 MPML had a noise control put in place and when they went into administration
    The noise control ceased with the company MPMPL owned by barc ,also they ceased the mx track ages ago due to not having
    Planning permission for it,if thats true why has'nt the council done anything from the start.

Also the day after mallory park called in the recievers there was a new buisness registered

MALLORY PARK MOTOR RACING LIMITED
    Thruxton circuit
    Thruxton
    Hampshire
    Andover
    United kingdom
    Sp11 8pn

Company number 08716007

Status active

Date of incorparation 02/10/2013

Country of origin united kingdom

Facebook mallory park and see some of the discussions going on,something not quite rite there.

#36 scouse, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  17. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

Titan properties who own the track have set up the 'new' company in an attempt to keep some income coming in from the circuit.
    As Titan own the circuit any and all profits will go straight in their pocket as apposed to just the rent!

If you ask me it's just a classic case of tie up one fucked ltd company then open another. All debts and legalities I assume will go with the old company?!?

#37 hug - lo, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  18. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

Actually David you're wrong as the complaint in question was for the loud music on the Sunday night, of which there was none at AF as I was on site on Sunday night and only about a dozen people stayed over.

19. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

Bob the exact complaint as extracted from the minutes of the meeting is as follows:

Residents complained strongly about the following:
    • Horrendous noise from vehicles, many without proper silencers
    • Loud deep beat music that continued to 02.30 in the morning

Says nothing about Sunday and does tie up with what did happen on Saturday

20. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

Have you seen on pistonhe ads the land owners had offered 50% reduction in rent, but this was turned down by the operating agent.

In my opinion it has all been a big underhand excersize by the management company to avoid paying the court costs (which will now be footed by us the tax payers) and to get around the 1985 usage agreement.

I hope somehow the current operators are forced out to make way for some fresh faces as this is no way to fix relations with the villagers.