Driftworks DW86 - Monster AE86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PhilMorrison, Oct 31, 2012.

1. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Bloody hell, thats some crazy figures in a car like that. I sense a moment akin to the S15 Silverstone session when this beast gets let out of its cage?

2. simonlpearce

simonlpearce Member

That road aint exactly wide either to "test brakes".

3. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

We're really trying to get things moving while the engines out, but there's still a lot to do. One of the biggest job is making some custom arches, which Magic Aero are taking on for us. That's not happening until November, so were going to try and tie up all the other jobs so it can be stripped blasted and painted not long afterwards.

4. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Paul from Magic Aero has been down at Driftworks this week to start work on the DW86 Kit. Building a kit from scratch using foam to create the first plugs is an incredibly complex task, and he is certainly taking it all in his stride. The progress has been awesome, and he'll be back with us for a few days next week to continue the work.

We posted a similar picture to this on Facebook of the work in progress, and apparently we've totally ruined the car!. The stupidity of the world fucking baffles me sometimes! :wack:

Those of us with a little vision and understanding that the vast majority of the foam you see here will be removed to shape an arch are allowed to comment :D.
    [​IMG]

5. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Looks great just like that, super sillhouette boso style LOL

6. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Paul from Magic Aero has been working his ass off again... I'm so happy with how the lines are taking shape I'm thinking about not running sideskirts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

It look SICK without skirts! And makes a nice change from the norm not that this car is anything close to norm

8. Lee

Lee Getting there

I am looking forward to seeing this finished, faith has been restored as I was expecting some way overboard stuff to hide the wheels but that looks awesome! :)

9. Ben_san

Ben_san Member

no side skirts for a better "on steroïds" look!!
    badass beast!

10. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

So Paul from Magic Aero finished this part of the arch modelling job yesterday afternoon. Craig had the car back at Dynotorque this morning at about 10:30 and all of a sudden it looks like this again!

[​IMG]

11. Croww

Croww Member

Is it just the low for making the foam or will you actually be running it that low? Hopefully you can run it that low as it looks badass.

Maybe I have missed it or forgotten it, have you decided on a colour / design yet?

12. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

That is the intended ride height. It remains to be seen how much it hits the floor :D

13. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

[​IMG]

One final bit of grinding to do, and this should be the last time we see the shell in all it's multicoloured unposhness, as I've now delivered it into the hands of Sodablast for some serious pre-primer-prep.

[​IMG]

14. ste_fixed1

ste_fixed1 Member

Best build ever.

15. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The blasting is complete! The guys at Soda Blasting UK | Soda Blasting West Midlands have done an awesome job, and I can't recommend their services enough.

[​IMG]

After the many hours work blasting, the shell is airlined out as best as possible, then actually cleaned with water.
    [​IMG]

Then dried off very quickly.

[​IMG]

They even primed the shell for us, so we have a few days to do some more work to it before the main coat of paint goes on it.. I'm so happy to see the shell in one colour for the first time in 12 months!

[​IMG]

#195 PhilMorrison, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  16. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

And we're on the ramps ready for some structural foam in the sills and chassis rails.

[​IMG]

17. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

We also recently invested in a new tow car and trailer for the DW86. A Ford F250 XLT SuperDuty Truck, and a Pace GT Shadow 22' Trailer. Both are fucking ridiculously massive. So much so we had to modify our second unit to fit them in. But somehow they manage to look almost normal when next to each other:

[​IMG]

18. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So much money...

19. OBEE

OBEE Member

everything went uber OCD, you just gotta love it

20. bell

bell Without patience

Phil, an absolute pleasure to work on the car bud, the work thats gone into it is pretty damn amazing.
    Your face was a picture when I told you we would be washing it, but its the only way to get the soda residue off panels it being biodegradable and all.

Thankyou for the write up.