Drifting- Is there REALLY any need for a LSD over a fully locked rear end? Discuss...

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Stavros, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I mean purely drifting, ignoring road use at all.

I'm no drift superstar but I've owned 3 cars with 2 ways (still own one of em) and shitloads now with welders, and TBH, I prefer the welder, or at least find zero advantage of a 2way. One of my cars has a Torsen in now too, which lots of people seem to prefer even for drifting over a welder, but fuck no, I hate it in comparison.

Some people who ARE drift superstars seem to run fully locked diffs though.

Eric O Sullivan (Ie Formula Drift, Prodrift, Drift Allstars, etc) for example said the other day about locked diffs on here...
    "less shit to break and always feels the same no matter how the car is loaded up. I don't know why more people in the drift world don't use them, other than backwards entry attempts I've never felt the necessity for a diff"

BonBon has pretty much always that I remember just ran a welder on his cars.

The DW AE86 now runs a fully locked diff.

I bet a shitload more top comp cars, esp Formula D ones, run spools compared to what people think.

I've always prefered a welder for drifting purely as I know exactly what it's gonna do at all times, and what it's doing is what I want it to do.

So, for drifting, what's the genuine advantages of a 2way etc, as I've never felt it.

2. docwra

docwra Active Member

Obviously I not a top drifter either but always found it easier to control speed by adding/reducing angle on the 2 way as opposed to a welder, and felt more confident at high angles as well as being more likely to "get away with it" if you went past the point of no return. Also made it much better for grip but thats irrelevant.

That said my S13 was the only car I had both on, it may be different in different chassis.

3. Taze

Taze Guest

What are the benefits of a 2way over say a welded diff then?

4. Bubski B14BBA

Bubski B14BBA Member

I like both had welded on a few bmw got a lsd on my skyline welded one is best instead snappy drifting down side is snap loads of drive shafts lol

5. Jites

Jites Active Member

I've ran VLSD which was great until I did a few drift days then became totally shit. I then shimmed this diff and for a few more dirft days it was awesome but then it started to let go again so bought a welded and slapped it in. Been there for like 3 years now and it feels much more predictable over the shimmed and VLSD.

Only recently bought a 2 way to be a posh cunt and give it a go as I've heard nothing but good things from people who used to run welders but yet to try it myself I'm also interested to see what people say about them.

The cars I've driven with 2 ways have all felt much more stable during 'normal' driving conditions but I've not drifted on one yet :(

6. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

In my Altezza(track only) I have a welder, which I'm happy with...
    In my 318i Daily driver I have a welder which I hate.. Can't wait till I get a new car.. Never will I weld the diff of a daily again..lol

Iv never had the luxury of drifting with a proper LSD, so I can not comment on which is better, only that my welder does the job:thumbs:

7. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

had tons of 1.5 or 2 ways and welders.

Not going to pretend that ive ever felt much difference once sideways, but im not a pro driver

8. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Just for slipping/disengaging the clutch to lock/unlock the diff to work rear end grip when off power, and its another desperate thing to do when youve gone too far but might be able to style it out/say it was a backwards haha. That, and a welded diff in an AE86 is just asking for trouble.

9. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

i find it easier to have overall control with a good 2 way. I have driven a few cars on welders and found them less predictable on initiation than a 2 way

also the ability to unlock the rear end can be useful

10. Geldy

Geldy the pain train woowo

i drive with a 2way and tryed a weld and thought it was a total dog dint run smooth like i wanted it to

11. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

ive personally always drifted with a 2way, mainly because i was either fortunate to have one fitted when i bought a car or ive found a good deal...

yes i have also drifted on welders a few times and the only difference i can tell (again not some pro driver either) is on turn in/initiation with a welder i had to be a little more aggressive to avoid the front washing out.. maybe thats just my driving style but i find the 2way to be almost easier i guess to drift you could say... for me this is...

what im used to if i can find and install a 2way for not stupid money on any of my skid cars thats the way i would go as thats what im used to now...

nb i learned with a 2way (nismo gt pro)... maybe that has something to do with it....

12. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

A Good Plated LSD is better than a welder. You can't bring viscous into the equation as they are actually useless. A plated LSD is more stable than a locked diff when decelerating whilst sideways, and in a well balanced car is less likely to cause the front end to push on when you get back on the power whilst sideways. It also gives you a slightly wider point of no return which means you can get closer to being at full steering angle more of the time.
    IMO the only reason you wouldn't choose a 2way over a locked diff is A: if you can't afford it, B: There isn't one available for your application C: That little edge that it gives you doesn't matter as you don't compete.
    This is based on my experience of driving quite a few cars with welders, and a lot of cars with good plated LSD's. We are using a spool in the new DW86 (a fully locked diff), only because there isn't a good 2way plated LSD available for our application. I don't expect it will make the car 'shit', but I don't think it will work as well as if it had the LSD. The car is 50/50 in front to rear weight, so will be snappy and might show up the flaws of a fully locked diff slightly more than others.

13. mint

mint touch my fruit

I run a 2 way in the JZX and it feels perfect to me. Been drifting an MX5 with a torsen and another with a welder rather alot recently and although I stuck by the torsen in the MX5 for years and years, through NDC etc .. Im planning to swap it out with a welder shortly. So its just too damm EASY !!!!!!!

2 way is where its at though, feels great for driving normally, quick and drifting. All round winner.

14. rich01483

rich01483 New Member

So 2 way is the winner for a daily/road car then?

15. Radiuz

Radiuz Member

Yup. I have a VLSD in my mx5 and it is useless, it's my daily and that's the only reason I haven't welded it, so on the lookout for a torsen.

16. mint

mint touch my fruit

100%. Hardly feels like a diff when your driving normally. You only notice anything when parking etc and its just a slight skip, nothing like a welder from what mine does.

17. Geldy

Geldy the pain train woowo

also ppl looking at you like somthings broken lol

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Torsens are 1000 times better, but still pretty gay as the torque bias % isn't much, hence why one of my rear tyres is bald and the other almost perfect on my daily road skidder.

I don't mind how welders drive at all, I'd defo p/x my Torsen for a welder.

19. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

My understanding is that most of the FD cars are running solid drag spools?

I have never owned a two way diff in 10 years of drifting! Always had welders :D

20. Dori Hunters

Dori Hunters Member

Had both and can't tell the difference - welder wins for cheapness