My ex-D1SL FC RX7

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Stavros, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yep, stock one is good until high rpm, then cavitates badly, so I'm trying this route instead.

2. Dex

Dex kut!

seeing this on thomas his fb etc, its gonna be mental! i love his fab skills aswell! Cant wait to see this finished!

3. FreddieS

FreddieS Active Member

Looking good. started following you on IG to see more.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

He's brilliant as I got the ideas and the plans that I know will work, but I've not got the fab skills to make it happen.

So much has been custom fabbed, even the ITBs I didn't like how they was standard, so he modded em to how I wanted them, all the other 1uz with same ITBs just have em as they are, and IMO that's far from ideal.

5. 4x4

4x4 New Member

Can you elaborate, what exactly did you modify?

6. Kruizer

Kruizer Active Member

Whats done to the engine, itb's, manifolds, standalone ?

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Massive massive stupid cams, valve springs to match, few lil bits to the heads, balanced, blahblahstuffthings.

Just bolt-ons don't gain much at all as none of them are the big restriction.

8. Kruizer

Kruizer Active Member

Whats the big restriction in your opinion dude ? Fitting a 1UZ to an RX8 next month and wouldnt mind doing a few bits before fitting :)

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Cams. But they're fucking expensive, and mild ones are pointless, and then you need valvesprings too, and then its a bit pointless without decent inlet and exhaust manifolds, and then you need an aftermarket ECU to control it, and then to rev it as hard as the cams will make it want to is risky on stock internals, and so on and so forth.

TBH I'd either leave it well alone unless you had a lot to spend. TBH I wouldn't even do that, if I was gonna just have a fairly stock engine I'd not even run a 1UZ, I'd jus get a 3UZ instead which is barely any more money from a breaker, and just have 300bhp and 330lbft from the start.

10. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So why did you choose the 1uz? Easier to make fit or did you already have the engine?

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Because I haven't left it fairly stock.

3UZ is exactly the same size.

12. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Ahhh, il look into the differences between the two :)

Could you not have done the mods you did to the 1uz on the 3UZ or is it not as simple as that?

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Pretty much nothing available for the VVTi heads on later 1UZ and 3UZ engines, and 3UZ internals aren't strong, so wouldn't wanna take one much past standard without uprated internals.

14. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

got to love how people are considering a specific engine conversion without knowing much about it.
    how much of this is still from the pile of crap you bought off me?
    do you think the man in japan who built it knows you are doing this to it?

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Deffo. Esp as it's way more of a ballache than 99% of people imagine.
    The engine has zero parts of your engine mate, that was just a spare!
    The gearbox and gearbox bits are all used though, albeit now modified, as things aren't as simple as they seem lol.

The Japan man knows, he's on my Facebook lol.
    He only realised it was exported to the UK a couple of years ago when someone he knows came back to Japan from a holiday in the UK with an issue of Redline with it in lol.

16. Leno

Leno Member

Stav i really hope i never have to meet you in person; you seem to be a really knowledgeable chap but christ you are cocky with it! It seems every time someone asks you a question you try to belittle them! Im aware some of the questions may seem daft to you but people are only trying to expand their knowledge!

I personally love reading through your threads as you're always trying something out of the ordinary, but sharing your knowledge in a nicer would be appreciated.

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Cheers, hope I never meet you too xxx

Where am I cocky though? All I'm doing is answering questions.

18. Leno

Leno Member

Sorry that might of been a little strong, i'd had a few last night haha. Your replys just always seem to come across really blunt and "are you stupid?" sorta thing? I appreciate its hard to really judge a mood via text though..

19. Kruizer

Kruizer Active Member

I thought the older 1UZ had strong internals ? Wouldn't mind running an aftermarket ecu...

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Older 1UZ has strong internals and can actually buy tuning bits for,
    Newer 1UZ has VVTI and is faster from the off, but weaker internals and very few parts that fit.
    3UZ is faster than them both from the start, at a level that's beyond what you'd get by adding bolt-on mods to a 1UZ, but has even less parts available.

Stronger internals wont help you unless you're going forced induction anyhow.