The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

Had a similar thing recently. Was advised to drop back on the weights and to do my curls on a cable machine. It was supposedly tendon and supporting muscle pain as the weights increased. Took a 3 week step back/ gradual build to the weight I was at and pushed right past it with no issues.

But id also advise seeing a physio to rule out any other issues.

2. noobie

noobie Member

if your looking to bulk up mate you need to be training within the muscle hypertrophy rep range, so your looking at about 60 - 70 % of your 1RM for about 6-8 reps, thats the optimum range for muscle improvement, any heavier and your looking at more improvement to your neural drive etc. also, dont isolate. if you isolate your movements when lifting, your only going to have one muscle repairing and the nutrients you take are going to have much less on an effect if youre not putting your synergist muscles through stress also, so it makes sense to use movements where you use as many as you can for maximum effect. its also gonna save you alot of work going from one machine to another training different muscles. plus we never in life do any movements in isolation, so why would we do it in a gym.

with the sickness feeling, depending how many carbs youre already taking in your diet it may be an idea (although this is only a suggestion) to try to eat more complex carbs earlier on in the day, that way youre not going to feel as hungry later on, and not going to have to stuff as much food down.. just play with your macro split and see what works best.. its all trial and error.

hope all goes well

3. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

Proper happy went to the docs no hernia it's residual back pain coming through I have to lower the weight on my dead lifts and high rep it if it's still there in 2 weeks then physio is needed but so happy I can continue training.

Also I need to start working on abs I don't even bother doing them while I'm bulking but they will help so a few sit ups should do the job!

4. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

how's everyone getting on im back on the mass shakes now 1300calories a shake been 3 weeks and gone up 2lbs so happy with that can see gains been concentrating on traps and lats a lot getting more size and shape into them pretty pleased with it all.

and also been a good while since ive had any pains or injuries! but now that ive said that I will fuck myself up next week!

5. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

This week I managed something I've been working on for 8 months. Sitting to hand stand, then back to sitting in one controlled motion. Fuck yeah.

6. Minigibbo

Minigibbo Member

Christ haven't posted in here Ina while..

Another years gone by, not British champion this year as I've stepped up to senior but did manage to take silver at the world championships in November after making progress throughout the year..

Dirty 265kg deadlift tonight, Check out this video on YouTube:

There's various other new videos on my page too..!

7. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

bumppppo !!!!

hows everyones training been going ..no updates since December !!! ??? !!!

8. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

mines going good im 3 weeks into my cut dropped 10lbs feel and look better for it

how about yours?

9. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Im still lean gaining, I've learnt a lot over the past 8-10 months and my technique has improved SO much. Gained about 10Kgs so far. Up to 86.2 on friday. My weekend hasn't been great though so I may have lost a bit of that. Going to hit 90kg and probably cut down a bit as summer is coming and I need more than 2.5 abs.

10. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Changed my routine entirely:

* moved all my exercise from evenings to 6AM
    * alternate days of HIIT and running, with a rest day on Sunday
    * Upped the bodyweight stuff to include a lot more one arm pressups, hand stand pressups and added a tuck jump to my burpees on all reps. Fucking knackering but it does wonders for cardio and the bodyweight training gets all the little stabiliser muscles working.
    * morning fast 2 days a week, one huge meal some time during the working week
    * cut out all coffee/tea

I found one of those fitness trail/assault course type things near my Aunties house down south, which I was using quite often for a few months; anyone know if there is anything similar in Manchester? Had things like rope climb, high walls, monkey bars, bars for chins, dips etc, rope wall and log lifts among other things. Was a much more fun way of working out.

11. speedykonzales

I was 132kg in start of january, ordered a "diet" menu and in end of march I was 115kg. Now I'm stuck with this number. Hoping it will still go down but slower. I should start basic workout at home.

#911 speedykonzales, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  12. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

How you finding training that early? I try to do it but seriously lack motivation and feel I don't train as hard.

Why are you doing the morning fast to? I'm all for fasted low intensity cardio in the morning, but can't imagine a complete fast would be god for you.

I'm doing pretty good in my diet, at the peak of my bulk I got to 102kg. I'm now 11 weeks I to my cut and about 91kg. Iv been trying to maintain my Marcos so I loose about 1kg a week, I'm really starting to slow up now tho.
    I'm currently on 285g protein, 220? Carbs, 55g fat per day. Thinking about dropping carbs abit more tho as my lower abs arnt completely through yet.

Did anyone go to bodypower this weekend? After seeing all the shit there tbh the whole fitness industry is laughable. So many egotistic, vein and so called "natty" people walking about trying to shove products and diet plans on people when they blatantly just abuse steroids and are on drugs every weekend. Think the final straw when I thought to myself this is bullshit, was hearing some gymshark model saying "I stay shredded all year round, about 8% bf. iv been training really hard to put on size for this summer to and put on 10kg of lean muscle in 15 weeks following my new diet/ training program"

What are other people views in this?

13. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

I didn't go this year but I follow enough on instagram and facebook to feel like i've been. There is a lot of 'natural' claiming going around in the industry. From what i've heard and people I know, a very very small proportion dont touch anything. However it is in their sponsors best interest to keep it quiet if they are.
    On the flip side there are people making excuses about the reason they don't look like they work for gymshark is because they will need a performance enhancer to do so. Forgetting that a lot of these guys have everything that goes into their body planned out by a proffesional and all their workouts developed for them and a support structure around them. Where as average Joe works 8-5 and may have a family or the stress of a drift car to maintain.

Has anyone on here seen 'Bigger Stronger Faster'? Its a great documentry on performance enhancing drugs.

14. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Absolute cuntfest. The UK fitness industry is so embarrassing, I went twice and won't be going again.

15. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Finding it much easier than being motivated after work. I'm not a big sleeper anyway so I've always woken up whenever the sun comes up; morning motivation is not much of an issue. One thing I have noticed is that I have a shit load more energy throughout the day if I'm doing cardio in the mornings. It's given me a noticeable improvement in getting shit done at work during the morning period. I occasionally (and I mean occasionally) start to crash around 3pm for a bit, but that tends to depend on how heavy my work load has been and what I've had for lunch.

In response to the morning fast, I was forgetting to eat after my morning run/HIIT quite regularly, so making sure I eat well in the mornings the other 5 days a week is actually an improvement. Breakfast tends to just be protein shake + an oats/yoghurt mix at 7:20ish, followed by an apple or two around 11am. I'm undecided as to whether I'll keep the morning fasting but it seems to be working for me at the moment.

16. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Is that the film about the 3 brothers and all about their development taking steroids? If it's the one I'm thinking of it's very good!

I wasn't trying to say everyone with a good physic is on roids either, just it's boi able the vast majority are. I mean why would a 100% natural body builder want to compete In a "natural" series that isn't controlled by any sort of drug testing? There's only o few championships around the world where competitors are actually drug tested and I think one even requires a lie detector test.

Yeh my views completely, far to many egos. It's good seeing the proper beasts like jay cuttler, Kai green, Phil heath etc as tbh they seem pretty down to earth and are quite open in some ways about the "vitamins" they take. It's all these fuck head in so called "aesthetic crews" that do my head in.

Fair play dude, I have to admit I enjoy a morning run but I just feel weak trying to train weights without a good amount of food in me first.

17. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Yeah thats the film. I was really impressed with it. Gave the information rather than trying to force you one way or the other.
    I wasnt saying that 100% of bodybuilders were using something, i'm just saying a fair few are. The natural competitions do their best but there are always masking drugs etc. I sound synical but I love lifting I have nothing against people who do or don't use performance enhancers, thats their choice. Personally I don't, I don't feel like I am anywhere near reaching the full potential of what I can achieve naturally. The great thing about bodybuilding/training is that its all on you. Even if you do take an enhancer, you still had to lift the weights up and eat properly. Like that documentry said, the general misconception is that if you take them you imediatley get huge and ripped...and angry.

18. kam

I don't care if someone is using steroids, still needs hardcore training and a strict diet to get massive - fair play to them. The bit that annoys me is the complete douche bags.

I'm having to train so hard to get a decent workout these days, legs the other day was:

5x5 squat up to 160kg
    10x10 60kg squat, constant tension, 1 min rest between sets
    Leg press, 1 set, max reps 100kg
    Hams 5x20 reps, 1 up the stack every 20 reps
    Stiff leg deads 3x12 10kg dumbells

Barely any DOMS 2 days later :wack:

*The last leg session that blasted me was the same as above, but 1st exercise leg press, up 2 plates a time, 6 reps max. Got to 430kg. I think the combination of weight and reps is the key for everything.

#918 kam, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  19. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Kam that sounds intense/immense. I did legs yesterday, trying some new stuff including vertical leg press using the smith machine. Can push a serious amount of weight with no danger (well minimum) to your back. Doms today making me walk like a tit. Gunna be worse tomorrow.

20. kam

Ah yeah, seems to be popular with bodybuilders. Seen that about a bit.
    Good? Hit all of your legs?