Ehy Up!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by JakeePeters, Jun 8, 2014.

1. JakeePeters

JakeePeters New Member

Now then,

Recently discovered the driftwork forum after a few internet searches into finding out what drifting is all about. And have to say after spending some time last night browsing the forum and giving the search button some hammer I convinced myself I NEED one of these crazy sideways wagons I've seen!

Will be be looking to get a car in the new future, from what I've read mx5's and e30/36's are the way to go for a newbie. But after running some insurance quotes through confused.com (insurance is a pain at 19) I'm leaning towards the 5. As modifications are going to be shot down by my insurer I will be forced to run fairly stock :( Adding coil overs to a policy seems to be an instant +2k on the premium :(

What ever I end up with will be my first car (sort off, had company car/van for 2 years) so looking forward to getting the chance to spanner on it myself. So expect to see some 'opps I broke it need help' posts in the future ;)

Cheers,
    Jake
    York.

2. GaryOak

GaryOak New Member

You don't need to get an okay from your insurance company to upgrade your car. They're going to total it if it gets wrecked because they are older cars.

3. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

That's bullshit.

OP don't listen to this guy please.

4. JakeePeters

JakeePeters New Member

I'm not the most clued up on the ins and outs of insurance but I'm sure they can void your policy if you don't declare mods? Well that's always been my understanding of it.

5. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

Correct. anything that's non standard if not declared they will invalidate your insurance.

6. GaryOak

GaryOak New Member

Why would they void your insurance if your block had a crack in it and you needed to replace it? Think about it. You can do whatever you want for the sake of cars wearing out, especially older models. The only way they can void it is if you get into an accident and they think your modification led to the accident. You get reimbursed the stock value of the car. Nothing above it.

Again, explain how its bullshit instead of passively attacking and being condescending.

#6 GaryOak, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

I don't need to explain, that's the way it is.

8. GaryOak

GaryOak New Member

Because you have 3227 posts and don't know a damn thing about insurance or cars. Grats on having the most worthless post count in the history of forums.

9. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

I have owned, and insured more cars in the past 10 years than you will your entire life. at one point I had 15 cars on my old traders policy in the space of a few months.

UK legislations state that the car not differ from factory state unless otherwise discussed and understood by the insurance broker. Which also incurs a rather hefty premium when you are young.
    Don't come in here waving your cock when you know sod all.

10. GaryOak

GaryOak New Member

Wow, now the whole "I'm rich and have no proof but I'm on the internet" card. Congrats on "waving your cock."

Again, if your transmission or engine shit on you, it's not a problem. You may have to report it, but they won't say no you must buy a new car. They will tell you that you will only get stock value if anything happens. Ruishy1 doesn't know anything about standard insurance practices. In the UK people mod their cars all the time and it's no big deal. Everything from cosmetic to exhaust.

11. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

AND THEY MUST REPORT IT OTHERWISE THEIR INSURANCE IS INVALID AND IT COST EXTRA IF YOU DO MODIFY !!!!!

I don't know how more clear I can make it.

And people have met me and know who I am. I am not rich, but I am savvy when it comes to buying and selling cars and very rarely lose money.
    I didn't realise the school holidays had come round again.

12. GaryOak

GaryOak New Member

1. Getting an okay from your insurance is not the same as reporting it. You're not asking for permission.

2. I don't care who has met you, this is an internet forum. You're an anonymous person behind a computer screen.

3. You still are attack me.

13. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

1: yes you are asking for permission, they can say no to the mods you have done and refuse to insure you.

2: exactly, who are you again ?

3: You are providing inaccurate information to someone which could land them in trouble

14. GaryOak

GaryOak New Member

1. Then change to a company that will. No problem. You aren't asking for an okay, you are just telling them what you're doing. If they have a problem with it you change. You don't need permission. They will either A) accept your modifications or B) Let another insurance company get your business and lose out on the same damn coverage. Most companies will try to keep you when you tell them a competitor has a better deal and is willing to do it.

2. I'm a dude who plays a dude disguised as another dude.

3. It's not inaccurate. You are saying that insurance dictates what you do, when in reality you can dictate what an insurance company does for you. As long as you are within reason, both parties are okay.

15. RichGR32

RichGR32 Member

well this got out of hand quickly, but Ruishy is correct

insurers in the UK can terminate your insurance if they are not happy about the modifications, and they can refuse to pay out on any accidents for a car that modifications that have not been declared.

fortunately when you ring them up to make a claim they sometimes give you a chance to declare said modifications before they process the claim

16. RichGR32

RichGR32 Member

Moral of the story, declare your mods, if you don't then you must be willing to live with the consequences and you only have yourself to blame

17. Spanair

Spanair Member

Sadly here in the UK every modification no matter how small it is has to be declared to the insurance company and it will in most cases increase the premium. I had some mods declared to my car after a year and it increased by about an extra £200 from mods such as coil overs to small things like a non standard steering wheel and snap off boss to sideskirts etc. It's silly but the way it is.

If you are in an accident and an engineer comes and sees anything that wasn't original from manufactures added to the car they can easily refuse to pay out as it's a great excuse not to. I don't agree with premiums going up for things like sideskirts or coilovers but such is life...want to be legit have to declare else might as well run around uninsured.

18. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

GaryOak. Wind your neck in, you appear to live in the US whereas the majority of the people of this forum (and this thread) are from the UK which has different insurance rules to you. So you are in fact talking shit.

Any more bullshit and I'll be sending you to the naughty step for a week or so.

#18 SteveC200, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  19. WetTowell

WetTowell New Member

LOOL This thread made me laugh