Coilover maximum height?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by pwalker, Jan 28, 2015.

1. pwalker

pwalker Member

Right... Iv put s13/14 front suspension on my Volvo 940 but with the difference in the height of the 2 systems the car is naturally slammed (pic below comparing).
    So Iv had to wind the coilover spring height/preload right to the absolute maximum and it is still pretty dam slammed. I want it pretty low but not quite as low as it is.
    Also because of the amount of preload the front is bouncy as hell (shockers have proberbly seen better days aswell like).
    [​IMG]

I was hoping I would be able to get a taller coilover spring but I now don't think this will help as the one that's on is already quite tall and il just end up in the same position. As the shocker will proberbly be at its maximum length
    But am I right in thinking if I get coilovers with separately adjustable ride height and pre load I will be able to get more height out of the coilover?
    If this is the case I will actualy have some working adjustability of height and it should also benefit the bumpsteer it has.

2. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

you need a longer shock not a longer spring surely.

Those coilovers don't look like they are height adjustable (the bottom mounting point doesnt screw up and down on the shock thread)

3. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Do you want it to be anywhere near stock height? Looks like a decent drop to me factoring in spring compression.
    Anyway, with the setup you've got there you'll have to extend the mount on the dampers to make up the difference.

4. pwalker

pwalker Member

That's what I mean, but if I can find some coilovers with height and preload adjustment I will be able to gain some height then won't i?

5. pwalker

pwalker Member

Not stock height no, I'd like to gain a little bit from where it's at and just have some actual adjustability rather than really slammed or beached lol

6. Jites

Jites Active Member

do you have any pics of it at this right hight? I want to see it.

7. pwalker

pwalker Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't really have any better pics showing the height, if your after just general pics of it Iv made a project page

#7 pwalker, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  8. pwalker

pwalker Member

It doesn't actualy look that bad like bumper-ground wise but the engine bed is about 2" off the ground. And I had a little splitter thing on the front bumper which was scraping on the ground had to take it off

9. Jites

Jites Active Member

what? that looks decent. re-fit splitter and lower the rear then your problem is solved. My cars lowest point is about the same

If it doesn't scrape it isn't low enough ;)

10. kam

Thought so, sound that.

11. pwalker

pwalker Member

That's not very helpful haha, it might be less than that il get a pic next time I go out of engine bed, the bouncy ride is no good either and I won't be able to get it to ride at this height/preload without it bouncing,
    And as said there's a decent angle on the tie rods aswell if I can raise it a bit it should make a good difference, I'd rather have more drivability and less cool rather than cool and piss me off every time I drive it lol.
    The rear has been lowered
    [​IMG]

12. Jites

Jites Active Member

13. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

Dude, that's fucking awesome. How did you lower the rear?

Mount some good coilovers (with independent ride height adjustment) up front and leave it at this height, as the bouncing will be fixed.

14. kam

The ride is the coilovers, they'll be shit/fucked.

To raise it, like I said, you'll need to extend that bracket.
    Roll/bump correction is something else entirely.

15. pwalker

pwalker Member

The rear atm is just lowering springs, I'm ordering some adjustable short shocks for the back on Friday.
    Yeah that's going to have to be the plan,...well maybe raise it a tiny bit haha.

I'd rather just get some new ones and have the adjustability etc than having more work,
    If I raise it slightly the incline of the tie rods will be reduced so should reduce the bump steer effect

16. kam

Get S14, they're longer :)

17. pwalker

pwalker Member

Ahh didn't know that, but saying that mine could already be s14 ones

18. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

as cam said s14 ones are longer.

19. kaskev

kaskev New Member

Simple solution is a machined spacer on the top mount. I've seen this on a few cars. It's relatively cheap and you will be able to get some preload on the springs again.

20. pwalker

pwalker Member

Never thaught about that actualy, but Iv got some height adjustable ones now anyway and I have the height adjustment now :)