Opinions! Best tyre for HIGH powered RWD road car.

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by sandstorm, Mar 11, 2015.

1. sandstorm

sandstorm Member

Right!
    Ive spent the last few years building a road going 180SX circa 450 - 500hp with lots of track grip driving
    and daily-ish road use in mind.
    Ive had a fair few high powered cars 4WD and RWD over the years with lots of different tyres but am wondering whats peoples thoughts??????
    RWD and grip have never been something i was too bothered about as i was usually just gonna kill the back tyres and therefore more worried about cheapness on the back and a set of yokohama pradas for front end grip (grand tyre although ive heard plenty of complaints).
    I really liked the Falken FK452 on an R34 GTR but the 4WD system on that car was immense to begin with
    so i dont feel its a good comparison when talking about a RWD with no traction control.

Basically im looking for peoples opinions on a tyre for a high powered RWD car driving on irish roads in irish weather
    with a fair amount of track use. i dont really want to go the Toyo R888 semi slick route as i feel its gonna be too harsh to live with outside the track environment but im open to suggestion!
    thinking more RWD time attack car than drift car.

Possible options;
    Toyo TR1
    Eagle F1
    Pirelli PZero
    Yokohama Prada
    Michelin Pilot Sport
    Continental conti5
    Hankook Ventus

^^^ anybody with much experience of the above or something different??

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

What do you mean by harsh to live with outside track?

I've never had a problem daily driving cars on R888s and similar, if that helps.

3. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Pzero gets my vote they just seem move nimble if that makes sense. 570hp v8

Got .tr1s on my other car good but not pzero good.

4. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

888 in rain or winter are pretty shocking to be fair

5. sandstorm

sandstorm Member

ive never personally had 888's on a car so im only going on what ive heard but they have a very stiff tyre wall which lends the car to tramlining and following the bumps on the road and they are very loud, grand on a smooth track surface.
    but the are crap in cold wet weather.

6. Benzo

Benzo Member

I have used 888's in all weather conditions on the road in my Westfield with no problems - 300hp/tonne.

7. sandstorm

sandstorm Member

to be fair the only tyres ive had personal experience with are the
    Eagle F1 asymmetrical 1
    Pirelli PZero
    Yokohama Prada
    Michelin Pilot Sport

the prada are the only ones ive had on the front of a car and the rest as part worns on the back of the drift car
    never really noticed much of a difference as i was usually slating them to pieces..

8. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Federal rsr? Iv found them good for daily driving and very capeable when putti by the boot in. Well priced to.

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Same.

I don't know if I've had magical ones, but they're better in the cold/wet than most 'normal' tyres. Much better.

I've gone from, in horrendous rain and standing water, instant wheelspin in 4th gear with premium road tyres, to grip 80% of the time even in 2nd, on the exact same size R888s.

I've had someone pull over and say they can't drive anymore on R888s in the wet in Europe one time as they felt it was dangerous. So I took over driving and felt fine, better than most normal road tyres.

10. Benzo

Benzo Member

^ totally, have no trouble at all with them, I'd have them on my new project but they don't do a 9" for 13's. And they don't even wear too Badly!

11. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yokohama have got the new Neova tires, they are supposed to be awesome, although they don't last so long..

12. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

^This, the Advan Neova AD08 (also available in AD08-R flavour). Damn good tyre, nice and capable in cold and wet too.
    Toyo R1Rs are worth a look as I used them on snow and ice to no issues as are the Nankang NS2-Rs as my brother's used them through the winter too.

He uses 255 section Goodyear Eagles on the back of his S15 though and it grips plenty well.

I personally don't have a high opinion of the Federal 595RSRs in cold/wet Scottish conditions, with 205 section tyres on my 20v Levin, it would happily spin them in 3rd on a straight road. Seem good in the dry though.

13. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Dunlop released a bunch of really good tyres recently, so they're worth a look.
    Stuff like the T1R is just an old design now, there's much better out there for the money.

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

For an all weather tyre (including 0 degrees and pissing with rain) you cant beat the Michelin Pilot Super Sport IMO. They get a bit melty on track but they are pretty awesome all round, defintiely better than RE050A and Eagles.

R888's and stuff work fine in most conditions but they are less than ideal when its cold and raining TBF - Ive got Nankang NS2R's on my Beemer and its traction control city on anything other than dry roads at the moment. Worth noting that the lower operating temperature has recently been reduced for R888's as well :thumbs:

#14 docwra, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  15. Dori Hunters

Dori Hunters Member

I had a set of Federal RSRs and found them really difficult in the wet on the road. I've used T1Sports and found them to be decent in the wet. However not all the ability of a track tyre in the dry, but still pretty good.

16. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

AD08R, really great grip in all conditions and last well. The best compromise between road and track performance that I've used, you do pay for it though.

17. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

Federal RSRs are the best "daily" track tyres i've used. Fine in even standing water, but incredibly good in the dry! plus very good value for money too. Massive step up in dry grip over my normal favourite tyre, Contisport 3's.

18. Kodiak

Kodiak New Member

R888s on my FC in the wet were fantastic, sure the back end would let go if provoked but it hooked back up surprisingly fast. Can't wait to try the new variant.

19. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

I ran continental contisport 5's on my Aristo. Cant fault them really. great wet weather tyres and great in the dry also.

biggest problem i had was locating them in the right sizes and widths for a good price !

20. grahamc

grahamc Member

when it gets very cold, maybe, but I ran r888s on my track impreza (400hp, stripped, lots of suspension and brake mods) and it was fantastic on the road and the wet, lots of standing water was a bit too much, but that was it.

Agree....

MPSS are a pretty decent all round tyre, use them on my GTR (600+hp) for road and track - pretty decent as an all year all weather tyre, but I will soon be swapping to r888s for the summer season and then winter tyres.