s14 Navan street car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Daze, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Any updates dude?

2. Joss

Joss Member

Broke my heart to open this thread thinking it'd been updated, only to find this. </3

3. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Haha, oh you guys!

Yes, some updates. I will do a proper update after this weekend, but the long & short of it is that its MOT'd, its tax'd and its road legal. I've driven it around the roads for about an hour so far and its REALLY FAST and fairly scary if I'm completely honest! It also sounds incredible.

Videos, photos & more updates soon!

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

It also looks amazing, you forgot to mention that part :p Those CST's man..... so hot. I just got another pair, in 18's! :)

5. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Ahah, thanks man :) Good stuff!

- - -

Absolutely TONS of work & time spent on the car over the past week or so, so much to the point that I'm barely having time to take photos of what I'm doing with it! Haha

Last week almost every evening I was working on the car, as I had booked in for an MOT at a mates garage. This meant getting the final bits & bobs sorted for MOT, such as side lights, etc. I fixed all that stuff up, then gave the car a decent clean as it was pretty horrible

[​IMG]

Lights were done & all working

[​IMG]

Then Wednesday morning came around, time to drive it to MOT. I was pretty nervous, not only because its the first time I've really driven it, but also I was driving it a good half hour away to an MOT garage, so not the most local. Of course I had insurance, but no MOT or road tax on the car, so I was worried I would get pulled by police or something.

Luckily, however, it all went to plan. The drive there was interesting to say the least! I had a couple of "blips" on the loud pedal down the motorway, and the sheer power is INSANE. I honestly did not expect it to be quite as brutally fast as it is!! I couldn't stop smiling the whole journey!

I dropped the car off at the MOT, then a couple hours later, the car had past. Awesome :) However, there was a running problem with the car. I was on the phone to my mate who we had planned would be driving it back to me once he finished work. The car was cutting out, etc. My mate identified an issue with the alternator and/or related wiring, but managed to limp home with a spare jumper battery in the boot.

Once back home with me, we fixed the problem fairly easily. I was of course thinking it was a dead alternator, but infact it was a couple of hand-tight bolts in the fusebox! It looks like I forgot to tighten them, and they just so happened to be the main power & starting wires for the whole car, oops!

With that fixed, and with road tax bought, she's now fully legal! I went for a drive that evening. Again just WOW. Its absolutely brutal.

[​IMG]

After a couple of evening drives, I got a little more used to the power, and one thing I was noticing is that I was hitting some kind of fuel cut issue, and my Apexi boost gauge was reading waaaaay above the 0.9 bar boost that Nispro had set. I wasn't sure if my gauge was reading incorrectly, or if indeed it was overboosting.

I rung Walton at Nispro to explain the problem, and he said straight away "you need a road map!". After a call with him, I made the decision to swap over the crappy restrictive back box for a better one I picked up for free a few days previous. As it's all welded together as one piece, I popped up to my mate to get him to do some welding

[​IMG]

A couple hours later, it was all done. Its a LOT LOUDER! But its not too bad. Certainly not as loud as shotgun-style exhausts, which I don't really like anymore. I wanted to keep it looking the same as it did, and I think it does. The position of the backbox is almost exactly the same as before

[​IMG]

Before I left his workshop too, we also swapped out gearbox oil for some Shockproof stuff. At a hope that it gives my SR gearbox a fighting chance :)

[​IMG]

Then yesterday, I spent the day doing mostly interior stuff. I took no photos the whole day which sucks, but both door cards have been carefully cut & now fit around the rollcage quite neatly. I've also got the passenger seat in, harnesses in, and centre console.

And after a drive again last night, it feels a lot nicer having those small interior comforts in. I don't really like the complete stripped out race-car look & feel. I must be getting old! :)

So, with that all said and done, tonight I am off to Nispro for a road map! I can't wait!

6. Joss

Joss Member

[​IMG]

ERMERGERD SER MERCH ERXCERTEMENT

7. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Hahahaha!

8. sukhy96

sukhy96 Member

Amazing machine!

Can't wait to hear it now.

9. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Really enjoy this build thread.
    The car is a credit too you, looks perfect.

10. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

So much win in this picture ;)

11. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Thanks man! It sounds insane!!

Thanks! :)

Haha, cheers dude!

- - -

After posting yesterday that I had no photos of the door cards I cut at the weekend, I remembered I snapped one on my other camera

[​IMG]

As I said in my previous post, quite pleased with how they've come out. I will be changing those 2 chrome bolts for black ones though, as that will look a little nicer. Other than that, I am pretty pleased with how the interior has turned out.

Also a quick snap of the engine bay in its current form, just because I had my camera out

[​IMG]

Then last night, I popped up to Nispro Performance for the road map. As I said in my previous post, I had been experiencing some issues with overboosting and/or fuel cut issues. It seemed to be related with the crisp cold air running through the intercooler/engine bay, and my turbo seeming to be somewhat more prone than normal to overboosting in changing weather conditions.

Anyway, the 2 hour drive up was fairly uneventful. A quick check over the car, and myself and Walton of Nispro climbed into the car and we set off. Not first before he ran some checks on his laptop and perfected the cold start & cold idle.

[​IMG]

The things he could do with that laptop were crazy, really impressive stuff. Not that I understood any of it!

[​IMG]

Then we got onto the road mapping. After about an hour of driving around, all was perfect! The power delivery now is a lot more progressive and controllable! Its still brutally fast, but it doesn't have quite the same punch-in-the-face impact that it did before, which is good! Also the off boost & low down power is really impressive as well.

A fuel & stack stop on the way back, had to grab a couple of photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm stoked with how well the car drives now. I will get some videos ASAP! Overall though, just amazing to drive, I love it! A huge thanks to Nispro for making this thing fly!

Next up will be swapping out the current oil cooler and the fittings attached to it, as its leaking oil for some reason. Somewhat annoying since the hose, fittings & cooler are all brand new, but perhaps its because the cooler & fittings were cheap eBay items.

[​IMG]

That should solve all those issues - Torques AN10 forged fittings & a 10 row Mishimoto cooler. Fitting this, along with an oil catch can & a nut/bolt check throughout, and I'm basically ready to hit Santa Pod drift day on the 25th! I cannot wait :)

12. Joss

Joss Member

Good to hear the fuel cut issue was resolved. Will this be at Lydden anytime soon?

I'm due to be hitting Lydden on 4th April and possibly Pod on 15th April, would be good to say hello and see it out being abused!

13. jimmy crowley

jimmy crowley Rouge Dori s15

Seriously loving the last few pages of this. Im running a TD06 too and love seeing how others are setup . All round fantastic machine

14. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

Lookin forward to vids!

15. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Crutial stuff hardly anyone does, good work :)

16. Ry_de

Ry_de Member

'hhoooopppp deerrrr itt isss, hhhoooooppp deeerrr ittt isssss'

17. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Yeah, maybe dude! I really want to hit up Lydden as well asap, but I want to get Pod out of the way first next week, and see how the car holds up!

Thanks man!

See below dude... :)

Yes, indeed!

Whhhhaaaaaa x

Video, as so many people have asked me for one.

Only took her to about 5.5k rpm, nothing too mental, but gives an idea of what its like to drive now :) Also the noise! ;)

18. Ross.

Ross. Active Member

Looks like you're having fun dude, I'm very envious of the spec!

Have you sped that video up? It seems a bit funny to me ha. The interior looks cool!!

19. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Thanks man :) nope, not sped up. It's at 60fps though, straight from GoPro if that's what is making it funny?

20. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

F**k me thats a bit lively!