BMW 740 Manual

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by markturbo, Mar 18, 2015.

1. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

So I haven't been on here for a project thread for a while, I've been pretty quiet on the car front, just been trying to entertain my self with 'normal' cars while saving for house things like Modified Jaguar XJR, VIP'd airride GS430, Modified W8 passat. My mechanical luck followed me with the Jag and Lexus ending up breaking both those for parts :wack: so much for taking a break from cars ha ha

Last few project are here:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drifting-video-pictures/146905-my-new-r32.html

So my most recent purchase was BOLF's old BMW 740, the original plan was to just buy it and drive it while making it more of a daily. But once in my possession it was clear that although the main mechanicals where spot on it needed alot of tidying, and as ever things have started to snow ball :wack:

[​IMG]

Some things on the list:

Bold tyres all round
    Drive-shaft fell out every 2 days
    Exhaust wasn't actually attached
    No speedo
    Interior was really mucky plus wood trim that had been modified wasn't ideal
    Engine bay was a mess
    Paint was fucking awful
    One of the previous owners seemed to have a fetish with Duct tape :no: From the interior to engine bay
    Front splitter was battered (whole etc)
    Plus loads of little bits missing or not working etc

Drive shaft issue turned out to be that a BMW 540 shaft had been fitted, when it was a 740 that was required, though both fit (I believe its a 540 diff any way) the 540 shaft is too short, had to take other shaft out to find part number, but once sourced it was an easy fix :thumbs:

I got some brand new Toyo 888's for the fronts, and brand new Ditch finders for the rear :thumbs: Also bought some new hub-centric spacers to get the fitment I was happy with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decent GPS based speedo and trip meter sorted that issue, with New V bands sorting the exhaust

[​IMG]

New Interior wood trim bought and modified to look as OEM as possible :thumbs: With a full interior tidy up, boot sort out as was unusable before, plus smaller things like heater lights replaced etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the BIG job of painting it :wack: It took fucking hours of sanding and prep work to get rid of the shitty aerosol paint, was painstaking, but didn't want to risk the chance of it reacting with the new paint.

Before the prep work:

[​IMG]

After lots of hours:

[​IMG]

Primed:

[​IMG]

Reassembled: (will get proper pics soon), the amount of work its taken to get here is rediculous :smash:

[​IMG]

Next the Rota Boost although cool wheels, weren't quite what I was after so have ordered some very special 3 piece wheels, that should be finished in the next 2 weeks :smokin:

I've got a fair few more pictures and parts to add to thread, but that will do for know :)

Cheers

Mark

#1 markturbo, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Chesh

Chesh Member

Badass! Can't wait to see where this goes, never been a fan of that paint!

3. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

Bad arse!

4. markturbo

Cheers mate, was even worse in person :smash: Hated it, especially after helping prep the car lol

Thanks Andy :thumbs:

Few pictures from the prepping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine back tidy, plus interior pic's to come :thumbs:

5. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Looks good , whilst that paint i did wasnt showroom

It was £50 and as the car was used on track pretty much every week was easy to touch up as the 7 loves to delam

:)

6. counteract

counteract -o=me

I'm so glad you're back Mark, I've missed your mad antics!

7. driftdog

driftdog Member

Thunder bird 2 now a big black beauty, love it.

Loved being in this up buxton with Dango, torque monster.

8. markturbo

Ha ha I get why you did it, makes total sense, hence why I've not got mad on a perfect paint job, no fancy metallic and have cans of the colour made up for repairs :thumbs: but after a solid week of sanding and prepping by a couple of us, we fucking hated it lol

But I daily it, so hence the amount of money I've had to spend making a it nice place to be again

Ha ha I'm trying hard not to go tooo mad lol :)

Ha ha Yer quite the transformation, definitely no shortage of torque here

9. driftyste

driftyste Member

Love it. Looks bad ass drifting

10. Ry_de

Ry_de Member

boom, looking forward to seeing the outcome of this

11. James.

James. Member

So much awesome

12. Matt_slater

Matt_slater Member

Looks loads better, wish my E38 was black, and manual!

13. Leno

Leno Member

Fuck me, love what you've done with that! Really dislike the trend that drift cars have to be shitheaps, mine isnt showroom spec but its not difficult to remove the delam marks/not hit shit!

14. rob0r

rob0r Member

Jaw/Floor, that paint...

15. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Man I tried buying this but the fella selling it just stopped replying to pms
    Tbf you've done a much better job than I would have on it. I want to own it even more now.

16. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

Perfect euro equivalent of a Chaser JZX100. Like this a lot.

17. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Easy tiger , wasn't a shitheap. It was used , unlike half the cars on here :p You should have seen it when I bought it :)

[​IMG]

Just was face-lifted/recommissioned in 5 weeks spare time and was built to be reliable , didn't have the budget for a paint shop and the car was drifted solid for 4 months almost every weekend to make money , yes MAKE money drifting. It was actually fairly neat the week I finished sorting it , Mark got it after it had been abused and used. I fixed the mechanicals (my bad on the 540 shaft btw Mark , must've been sold the wrongun) , I went through 121 pairs of tyres in 6 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love what you've done Mark , and eagerly anticipate more , I'd have probably repainted it myself this year if i'd have kept it , but I took advantage of the Yen being weak against the pound and have a new car landing shortly.

18. counteract

counteract -o=me

Cannot wait to see this when the new wheels are on it. It's going to be amazing!

19. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

The green and Boost's was such a good look for the car imo. Can't wait to see the new wheels you've got for her though..

20. markturbo

Thanks matey, yer love the videos of it when it was green :smokin:

Cheers, me too :D

Thanks James

Yer Really pleased with the new direction its going in, can't believe how this think revs compared to a stock e38 :cool:

Cheers Leno :thumbs:

Thanks mate, its certainly not perfect, but has done the job I was after :)

Sorry Mike, Yer I think the seller was having a bit of a mental time, so was hard to get a reply etc
    Hopefully I'm just be making it better ready for your ownership ha ha :thumbs:

Hadn' t thought of it that way :cool:

Yer I remember following your thread when you did all the work when you first got it, loved how it was looking, plus swapping out the beige interior I'll be forever greatfull ha ha :thumbs:

Exactly you finished it and its just been used hard as a drift car, I just want to make it posh (ish) again daily/drifter with my added twist with out going to mad :smash: no worries on the driveshaft, at least it was a easy fix :)

Thanks Graham, hopefully the new wheels should take it to new level :cool: Good call, great time to be buying right now, I loved my old JZX :smokin:

Ha ha Cheers Floyd :cool:

Yer it was a good look, but was tired by the time I come round to owning it. Hopefully the new look will suit it just as much :smash: