Commentators?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by david_connoll, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

Would you be offended if someone described a car as being a bit pikey?
    You know, if it looks like it was built in a shed and held together with cable ties?

When people describe pikey mods, they're not suggesting that the car is in fact an Irish traveller with awful hair and aggressive tendencies. The same way that when people describe a bgw, they're not suggesting that it shops in Topman and is covered in fake tan. It's just a different use of the word.

2. Anth4130

Anth4130 Member

Everyone moans about anything and everything these days.

3. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

It was only the once, and only the tip went in. I thought you liked it.:thumbs:

4. docwra

docwra Active Member

Fucking killed me. Cheers :D :D :D

5. david_connoll

david_connoll Member

Ok I do love this program and find this bit very funny!

6. david_connoll

david_connoll Member

So lets say they didn't slag Irish people, would this mean the commentary was boring and like F1? If it can't be decent commentary without these little bits, then it would be pretty rubbish commentary.
    Ok come be honest, are you ok with drivers being called a faggot?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get it, do Irish people say this in a funny way?

7. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Yes. I am ok with people being called a faggot, if they're acting like one.

If you need that explaining, allow Chris Rock to help me:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=we-zND9Ihes

Though pretty sure no one got called a faggot on the commentary did they? So you are talking absolute bollocks again

#67 initial_j, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. Jamie B

Jamie B Member

Japspeed carbon
    http://www.knightracer.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1913

9. Phil_

Phil_ Member

i can see your point of view just fine.

i think you would be totally offended if you knew my opinion, therefore i dont give it.

nor would i make constant gay jokes at people cause i wouldnt find it funny.

And thats the main crux of the matter, i think you need to welcome the banter because its coming from people who dont really have any problem with you whatsoever.

its aimed at a strange odd slightly cringeworthy wing (the reflection being the perception of the gay community) and if you have a problem with the perception of the gay community you would really need to speak to the organisers of gay pride etc.

Myself i dont find it funny but for fear of judging anyone i stay happily in the live and let die camp(pun intended)

Phil

10. david_connoll

david_connoll Member

Again I'm not totally offended. Just think it could be tweaked a little to make it more for mainstream.
    I don't see why that is so annoying to some of the people here?

11. Phil_

Phil_ Member

the totally offended was a future possiblity should someone say here wait a minute, i dont agree with gay rights or something.

so im not suggesting that you are currently 'totally offended'

I just think that the same care free boys who make the banter now without prejudice really it will be there children who will one day treat you/your type as complete equals.

im sorry your born in this day and ages where banter is still acceptable in some countries and maybe only 30% of the world has the death penalty for homos, but 100% years ago obviously it would have been worse.

So your people are well on your way to a brighter more rainbow esque future and complaining and whinging is how to get there any quicker.

id say a day 200years in the future where the rspca will take people to court over using the word rat in a negative way, 'you look like a rat' 'you're a rat' your a dirty rat' etc.

but sure then the thought police will control the western world at that point so everyone will be locked up since we are all evil.

too deep?

Phil

PS i even wondered if homos would seem offensive above^^ (see we are all to sensitive!) but shouldnt since hetros would be perfectly normal.

#71 Phil_, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. Broadley

Broadley Member

You really need to lighten the hell up, as if you've actually made a thread about it. It's banter between friends/the community, also you need to remember these guys aren't professional commentators, they are drivers helping out to progress the sport in the UK and they are doing a great job.

13. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

As above, the term faggot is only offensive if you class yourself as a faggot.
    If someone called me a bender I'd take it as banter and call them a twat back. Only if I were a bender would I take offence.

Are you out of the closet yet?

14. Phil_

Phil_ Member

this sort of banter is really what he is complaining about.

now i know that maybe commentators arent going to be super thoughtful/educated guys.

but calling someone a twat is not the same as calling someone a bender.

especially if all you mean is that they are rude/silly/stupid/daft/dirty/cheating or similar.

Phil

15. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Wheres my spanner

ah here it is *throws it*

What if BGW the gay meant happy..

big happy wing

so lets all be gay!

anyway at the end of the day, this isnt the BBC so they can cross that bridge when the time comes

for now on nom nom nom drift cars and cringey jokes are fine

16. david_connoll

david_connoll Member

What is my type? Car nut? Drift fan the last 11 years? Rallying before that? Been to every round of IDC last year.
    Homo is not a positive word to call someone, common are you saying it's not. Can't we discuss something about BDC without it labelled whining ?
    Yes things were worse for gay people 100 years ago and are better now.
    But it was worse for Black people 100 years ago, does that mean there shouldn't be protests over the police shootings? Black people should just be happy it's better than it was?
    Same with drifting?
    IF I were a traveller and I was at a drift event, nope I'd not be overly happy hearing cars called pikey.
    Who are my people?

17. david_connoll

david_connoll Member

See it's not banter between friends, it's a public broadcast. That's a fact. I've made a thread to ask opinions. And really surprised by the replies. I'm not saying they doing terrible job, just maybe leave out homo gay jokes and slagging irish so much. Is that really that bad? It's only my opinion, it's not like my opinion will change the commentary anyway so you'll get to hear the same stuff said anyway.

18. david_connoll

david_connoll Member

Lads are you honestly arguing that calling some a faggot is ok and not offensive, if this thread was on the BDC site I'd be surprised if the BDC people didn't get involved so as to not get negative publicity?
    Again if someone called you a bender down the put is not the same as you calling people benders on a public broadcast.
    And I'm out of the closet, I ain't gay, but so what if I were?

19. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

this is so crap............

20. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

seriously ?!
    4 fucking pages of this shit. big deal somethings were said you didn't like, we don't care.
    Stop being such a pussy because someone made a stereotypical joke about the irish.
    I get it all the time about the Scots, but I just laugh it off as its JUST A FUCKING JOKE !!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.