Daily / Drift certain circumstances

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Willg87, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Hexa-dB

Hexa-dB Member

I had similar requirements and the best compromise I could find was a mk2 MX5. I only do about 30 miles a day (almost all motorway/dual carriageway). I get about 30mpg and would probably get a bit more if I wasn't driving in rush hour traffic on a motorway with junctions every 2 miles.
    Fun to drive, driftable as standard (if you get one with a LSD), Parts are cheap, there's a lot of aftermarket stuff, in my opinion they look nice and they're fairly reliable. The only downsides are that it revs quite high at motorway speed and there's no back seats.

I have considered getting a BMW of some sort but at the last drift day I went to the pits were full of broken BMWs which puts me off. And they're ugly.

2. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

What about BMW Z3's? I'm guessing they could be drifted (though fuck knows if they're any good/robust enough for long sessions of drifting or even give decent mpg after 20 odd years of abuse???)

I'm just throwing it out there as an alternative to an Mx5 (which incidentally I reckon is your best bet considering the parameters that you've stipulated) however the Mx5 doesn't seem to float your boat so maybe a little Beemer roadster is more to your liking.

There are Z3's going on ebay for around your budget. At a guess though, for that price you could quite easily find yourself getting stuck into your overdraft before you hit your first clipping point!

Realistically that ^^^^^ is going to happen regardless of what you choose.

Good luck with your search mate

3. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Yeah that's it I may have angled it wrong as this is a drifting forum and I guess I am after a daily reliable runner capable of having a bit of back end action. Rather than the other way round I really appreciate all the input but atm I think a 330 will be the aim even if I add a bit extra to it.

I do love the idea of a Gs300 bit think it may be very thirsty for possibly even less performance i just like the fact their alot rarer than the beemer

4. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Buy one then. You keep going on about it, and it seems like you're asking our approval before you buy something? Go buy whatever the fuck you want.

5. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lonely hearts/tinder post!

I have to mirror what most have said here.
    I have a NA6 Eunos Roadster (1.6 MX5 Import) which I daily and enjoy a bit of a drift.

It has a welded 1.8 diff, cheap coilovers, a custom exhaust and TRLane Roll bar and probably cost me the sum of £1000.

Kicking its baws in every time I drive it, only really getting shorter drives and some longer drives, I get about a week (~200miles) and a bit out of a tank (~35l or so).

It's been very reliable with me too :)

6. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Gs300 rare?

see more grandads drive em than e36's :|

7. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Oh really squash the Gs300 then just off to swap my golf for a another scooby have a bit of fun with that for a while while I think properly

8. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

An Impreza for good fuel economy? :wack:

9. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

I don't think their too bad if driven nicely are they easy to convert to rwd and is it worth it

10. grahamc

grahamc Member

Im still trying to figure out how you poor fuel economy out of an MX5......

I:-

track the hell out of mine
    use it daily for short trips to the train station (4 miles)
    use it for casual trips on the weekend

and it still maintains decent fuel economy! It is still better than my 600hp GTR which cruises at 20mpg.....

11. grahamc

grahamc Member

You are going to regret that.......... a turbocharged impreza pretty much sits on boost at motorway speed limits, thats going to be a rather expensive commute!

12. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Average MPG for a WRX tends to be around 18-20ish with maybe 30ish on a run I think...

13. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Fuel aint bad compared to my.jeep cherokee 3.1 but still wish I had gone for a auto 330 :-(

14. F51

F51 Member

If i were you id save a bit more cash and try pick up a manual altezza rs200, they are incredibly reliable, drift well, very comfortable even on hsd coilovers and i used to drive one from catterick to Bournemouth and back to catterick each weekend and it used about 1 and a bit (maybe half) tanks of fuel, i pretty much floored it all the way i dont know if that classes as good mpg but it was better than the supra and the gtr i had for the same journey. you wont get one for £1500 but look over in ireland and there are some advertised for 2-3k If i were you id just save and get that.

15. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

Or buy my wife's altezza!!

16. daniel_g

daniel_g Member

I'll sell you my gs300, on a motorway run you can get around 30mpg. As a daily driver they are pretty sweet. Better than a wrx anyway haha my old bugeye wasnt ideal for motorway miles.

17. beetlejuiced

beetlejuiced New Member

I've got manual 330ci for sale. It does up to 31mpg... It's quick and super comfortable and still looks very good. I'm the second owner. Car is in excellent condition, has just over 100k on the clock. About 1000 miles ago I've put in stage 3 clutch and solid flywheel. All you need is to weld the diff. I want 2000 ono...

18. Vell

Vell Member

Hello,
    I get more than 30mpg in my S15 DE+T staying out of boost, with lots of city driving.
    As a daily, I think a turbo car is a good choice : granny it and you'll get fuel economy. Floor it and you'll get a smile on your face.

Note that you absolutely need a good tune.