motion sickness

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by smithy21, Dec 24, 2015.

1. smithy21

smithy21 New Member

Been sitting here thinking on this one and then thought why not ask you lot :)
    Went and done a drift day a couple of weeks back really enjoyed it was great fun and have the bug for it now. However after the day had finished on the way home felt reel rough ropey had to go lay down for a hour or so when I got in.
    It reminded me of another time I went go karting came home felt rough and had to have a lay down.
    So my question is this has anyone else ever felt like this?
    Is it a matter of some nerves some andreline and being chucked around in a way your not used too?
    Do you get over it or is it part n part of the hobby?
    your thoughts??

2. Drift me Arse

Drift me Arse Member

I had exactly the same experience when l went drifting first time as a passenger.

It was actually the strain put on my neck due to my head been conststantly moved around and the weight of the Helmet, even though it was a very light Fibreglass Helmet.

I bought a Motorsport neck brace off ebay and it cured the problem as it supports the weight of the Helmet instead of putting pressure on your neck and straining it.

I wear it whenever l'm drifting my own Track Car now.

#2 Drift me Arse, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  3. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Your going to slow. faster and smoother.

4. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

^This could help you while your starting out.

^But basically this.

5. Drift me Arse

Drift me Arse Member

I go fast, smooth and sideways and still wear a neck brace so it comes down to individual preference.

Happy drifting

#5 Drift me Arse, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Yeah totally, not knocking it. It would come in especially handy if you're doing a full weekend of it too.

7. Drift me Arse

Drift me Arse Member

....and if you hit a wall, lol

8. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

I get that too. It's like if you spend a day at Thorpe Park, or on a boat even, when you get in and lay down you feel like you're still moving. Also drifting is very dehydrating, make sure you're drinking enough water and eating enough throughout the day, I know you don't want to be spinning out and seeing your food again but a drift day is mentally and physically draining so you need some energy back!

9. bkray

bkray New Member

+1 all of this!

I use a neckbrace. Its just good practice really, prevents alot of strain on the neck especially if you do put it into a wall.
    Definately dont drink or eat enough while out drifting. Think of all that rubber you are smoking.
    And you're going sideways, If you do get sea sick or travel sick, this could easily be related.

10. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Had some pretty strong offs into walls in my time drifting without a brace, luckily never been hurt badly.

I'll probably invest in one soon!

11. smithy21

smithy21 New Member

Okey well thats interesting mate will give that ago will be good if its just that :)

- - - Updated - - -

Okey well thats interesting mate will give that ago will be good if its just that :)

12. smithy21

smithy21 New Member

Thanks for all the replys fellas is nice to know Im not the only one who has experienced this and the fact I have some options to try out to prevent getting it in the future is smashing. Yes i ear you on going faster and being smoother but i am just a newbie so bare with me on that one it will come :)

13. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

I don't mean to sound insulting or belittling or anything like that here but in all seriousness, being of fair physical fitness also helps to relieve this as your core and neck strength can buffer yourself from being thrown around so much :)

14. Stevo309

Stevo309 New Member

Physical condition may come down to it but for some people, myself included it's more to do with the inner ear. I have suffered from this as a passenger but not a driver. Infact a fair ground ride properly fucked me up a few years ago and i felt dizzy and sick for about 2 months, during that time i only felt ok while driving or lying down.

The above advice especially keeping hydrated is all good and should help. Stick with it though because you may also adjust to it over time. I have also found that getting a breather and stretching your legs inbetween runs can help.

15. smithy21

smithy21 New Member

Im not super fit but also not that out of shape I train in jujitsu a couple of times a week so will give the neck brace ago keep hydrated and stretch me legs between sessions and see how that goes.
    That inner ear issue sounds real bad mate feeling sick for two months fxxk that fella. How did you cope? could you not get anything from the docs?

16. smithy21

smithy21 New Member

no insults taken mate
    I can relate to that like any sport hobby you need to be in half a sensible shape to be able to crack on

17. Drift me Arse

Drift me Arse Member

Neck Brace (suggested by yours truly, ha), Hydration, Stretching Legs all great advice...maybe motion sickness tablets too, the non drowsey type, maybe worth a try too ?

Another thing to concider is check your helmet is not to tight. Pressure on your temple and base of your skull can also lead to nausea and dizziness.

#17 Drift me Arse, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  18. smithy21

smithy21 New Member

thanks for that tip never thought of the bash hat being to tight either great stuff