Diggory: the Y32 Nissan Cedric

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ali303, Jun 7, 2015.

1. ali303

ali303 Member

Sorry dudes, been a bit hectic so not updated this for ages. Diggory's been an awesome workhorse for the last few months, racked up some decent long distance trips in him (Teesside, Lydden Hill and regular stints back to Manchester etc) all without a hitch.

Put my 350mm Nardi Deep Corn on the other week using an HKB boss (they make a specific one for the Y32 Gran Turismo...!)

[​IMG]

Also upped the spring rates to 12/10s that we had available in our HSD spares section. A tiny bit on the bouncy side, but 99% of rear inner arch rubbing issues have now been cured.

[​IMG]

And yeah, just been using him every day and enjoying Cedric life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was considering knocking out a manual conversion and doing some slipwheels but...I've left the S-body game for a bit now and have another four door Nissan vehicle en route which will be for that task, so it's likely the Cedric will be up for sale when that's all up and running. As awesome as he is, one doesn't need two old four door Nissan barges!

#21 ali303, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Love it dude , nice wheels :p

3. ali303

ali303 Member

Well I had had this up for sale but ended up looking at cool Y32s on Google again so thought I'd quickly borrow some of Phil's Meister M1s to see what the stock metal could accommodate. As it turns out, 18x10-24 all round with some lairy camber.

As a result, I've sold my 18" T7Rs now and currently weighing up which route to take, although I'm definitely feeling either some Meister M1s of my own or Seeker CXs. Colour-wise, I'm thinking either standard black or maybe a very deep red wine colour, with the wheels having gloss bronze lips and either matte black or flat silver faces. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheel inspiration:

Seeker CXs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultimate Kiwamis

[​IMG]

And this basically just the fitment and ride height I'd be aiming for

[​IMG]

4. side slide

side slide Member

Fit under standard arches? Mines on old 2 piece volk av3's, mega weak fitment and its tucking spastically on the rear.. Don't really know what route to take with mine but I am on the hunt for a manual 300zx... Any idea where I can get the heater controls from aswell? Been a cold winter using the car

5. ali303

ali303 Member

Heater controls I'm not sure man, probably Yahoo Auctions and search Y32 I guess!?

Edit: just had a quick glance: y32純正エアコンæ“作パãƒãƒ« セドリック グロリア - ヤフオク!

#25 ali303, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. side slide

side slide Member

Your my saviour haha, cheers bud.

7. loveb

loveb New Member

Thankful I found this thread. the coilovers on my Y32 are dying and I cant find any good ones. What did you end up running with front/rear wise? I will probably convert mine like yours but wanna get the parts I need before I do it.

This is my old girl..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes wheels are finished differently on each side haha

8. ali303

ali303 Member

Hey man - yeah I'm very familiar with that car! Did you buy it from a girl named Alex? And I'm running S13 HSDs with 12/10kg springs and S14 top mounts on the rear (as S13 ones are too small).

9. loveb

loveb New Member

yeah. I know Dom who built it. Spoke to troy when he sold it and alex I met online. I made her sell it to me. LOL

Sounds good. Did you have any issues with it? I imagine the Y32 is heavier than an S13 (probably why you went stiffer springs? and aside from that did you need to change anything else? knuckles/arms etc?

I'm thinking of doing the conversion as I can only get bnew JIC VIPs and they are $2600 D:

other option was to rebuild the JIC but I'm not sure what the costs would be like

10. side slide

side slide Member

That white 1 from Aus? None turbo? Jealous of both your headlights... I have big singles..
    [​IMG]

#30 side slide, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  11. loveb

loveb New Member

Any chance you might have access to your a/c compressor and grab some part #'s for me? mines cactus and I cant find a replacement.

12. ali303

ali303 Member

Won this super rare Prontry front lip on Yahoo Auctions a few weeks back, went and picked it up from Jesse Streeter while I was in Japan the other week, couldn't fit it in any suitcases so popped to the nearest post office and sent it home.

Couldn't get enough of the 90s packaging:

[​IMG]

The lip comes in three parts - the two main sections and a weird central section to stick over the join with double-sided tape, which in my opinion would make it look really weird and stand out like a sore thumb.

The lip just screws onto the bottom of the bumper with some supplied self-tappers, so I got my steadiest hand out and set to work. Unfortunately I could only fit one half as the edge on the other half hasn't been cut straight and won't sit flush with the fitted half, so I'll sort that out with a Dremel ASAP.

I wanted to see how it'd sit on the floor with the new wheels on, so I removed the Pushing Around the Workshop wheels and threw on one of the Meisters.

[​IMG]

Oooff, I'm happy with that.

13. ali303

ali303 Member

Arch abuse progress:

[​IMG]

14. N/A

N/A New Member

Hello. Nice work! This thread inspires me to convert the suspension of my Y32 too. A was thinking about this for a while but a can't get enough information. A have a couple of questions. What did you do with front sway bar? On standard Y32 suspension it mounted to the strut and on S14 LCAs it mounted to the arm.

#34 N/A, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  15. ali303

ali303 Member

Not much to report at the moment as I've been busy with my Laurel but I've got a few things done.

My eyelids arrived from Japan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also removed the HICAS setup and replaced it with Driftworks HICAS lock-out brackets and toe rods along with replacing the outer bushes with Powerflex items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still figuring out wiring issues at the moment, so might be a while before he's back on the road again.

Hey man, saw the photos of your car, looks awesome and can't believe you've got something like that in Ukraine! I left the front sway bar disconnected but I plan to use a Z32 item, as apparently this will fit the same brackets but will mount to the lower arms instead.

16. N/A

N/A New Member

Thanks!

17. N/A

N/A New Member

I did it! Thanks to yours thread! So I took s14 knuckles(they fit to my lower arms bolt on), s14 tie rod ends(my don't fit to the knuckles and i don't want to drill them) and s14 tension rods. The suspension is s14 coilovers. For the front strut I change camber top mount to the Y32 plates(i drill them for more camber). And rear struts was shortened for 2.5" because they was too long for me. I tried all types of front Nissan sway bars that i can find in my home town, but they all don't fit. So i made custom mount for my OEM sway bar.
    That's the result.
    -7 camber in front and -9 in rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#37 N/A, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  18. ali303

ali303 Member

That looks incredible and I'm glad to hear the thread helped, good work man! Where did you find the Y32 Coilover Top Mounts? I looked everywhere before drilling mine but I couldn't find any, even in Japan.

I did not know the S14 hubs would fit the Y32 lower arms and ball joints, I can't remember if I tested this. I will have to find my original arms.

Also, did you try a Z32 sway bar and that didn't fit? Your custom bracket looks similar to what some HSD BMW coilovers are supplied with, so maybe I will try one of those brackets...although I cut my drop links off, so I will have to use adjustable aftermarket ones.

#38 ali303, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  19. N/A

N/A New Member

Thanks man!
    I was find this Y32 Coilover Top Mounts in Japan and yes they are very rare.
    Yes S14 hubs fitted to Y32 lower arms and ball joints. If I'm not mistaken s14 and Y32 ball joints are the same.
    I was tried S14 R33 and C35 sway bars and they all didn't fit. I can't find Z32 item but i will finde it and try it.
    Custom bracket was temporary option but it works well/ And I think it will work better with adjustable drop links.
    The next step I want to change front and rear lower arms for adjustable. Also, I'm thinking about driftworks drop knuckles.

20. ali303

ali303 Member

Diggory's (almost) back in action!

I wrote a detailed build update on my blog earlier tonight and it'll take all night to copy it into here so I'll post a couple of pics for now, you can read the full update here though: The STL Y32 Cedric: Diggory 2016 Edition – STREET!TRACK!LIFE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahh, thanks for the information man! I think I'm going to try and make a BMW E92 coilover droplink bracket fit, and then use aftermarket adjustable droplinks to mount to the standard ARB. Adjustable lower arms will help you add more camber too, and the Geomasters will help you get super low. I'm not sure they would work on the back of my car due to the driveshaft angle and shortened camber arms. I'll have to do some experimenting.