no knowledge e36 build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by tiredhero, Jan 17, 2016.

1. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

hi every one,so im ant aka tired hero

forgive my grammer please i am dyslexic.... just a warning for every one before you start trying to read this :)
    i have been wanting to do this for a long time, however i dont have any mechanical knowledge... erm i know how to change a wheel :nod:

so i love cars and i love watching people drift, i have no help in this at all, no friends :no:

so i had seen a young dude advertising this e36 on facebook sating it has no brakes suspension is nakered and needs new tires, mot runs out in 3 days.... i was like yea... why not.

now i know hardly anything about the e36 and safe to say the guy i bought it off didnt either... i changed the tires when i took the wheels off i noticed the brake pads are actually broken so i changed them...my dad did my brakes years ago and remembered how he did them ;) bonus memory points

11987011_1492123594437991_1247888910315081407_n_zpsiwuatauh.

the only time you will see me in jogging pants with my son on our drive

replaced the reverse switch too

booked it into mot and the night before realised the rear fog wouldnt work tried everything in the end i had to run a wire from a switch to the rear fog... and the bloody thing passed :) not bad for £280

WP_20151231_013_zpskzf06ox7.

it does have car aids on the rear arches it is missing a fog light and its rough as a dogs butt hole but its a start...

the dude i got it off snapped the bonnet catch so it now has some really badly done bonnet pins in the bonnet and they look stupid :nod:

also the dude must have put epoxy in the windscreen wiper bolts for some reason(the wipers nearly smashed the windscreen yea that was not cool) so had to change the hole mechanism ....(that was a pain in the arse... thank you youtube)

my exhaust died, had glass hair like stuff hanging out the back so cutt that off and my dad said he had a exhaust for me so drove to his picked it up bolted it on (its massive) chaving it down the road now with rock music :/

had to change a droplink... dad caught me intime showed me how to do it propperly :/

just ordered the rear droplinks,rear bearings and stabiliser bar rubbers, i need to order the rear subframe bushes too but not done it yet coz i ended up buying a frigging compressor and pretty much everything i need to spray it :no:

yea i know its a bad idea... but im actually better at painting cars than fixing them

then my dad said ''you do know your not going to be able to drift that right :cry:its a 316i said you need atleast a 320''

:mad:so after being laughed at.... alot.... i cooled down and told my self i will frigging drift this thing you frigging watch....

yea i need to weld my diff and get a bigger motor i think... any help would be great

kinda get high revs and if i change gear it just kinda doesnt move :(

all this after i just bought a house had the roof leaking and trying to decorate :) yep i like to punish my self :wave:

thanks for reading to the end if you did not get bored of all this so far

any advice would be great thank you

tired hero

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Sounds like your dads got this covered, other than do not go through the hassle of changing the engine for a 2.0, best off going 2.5 minimum to make it worth while.

3. SidewaysRookie

Strip everything from the interior and I mean everything. Just a speedo mounted to the bar behind the dash with a bucket seat, eBay coilovers. Ta technix" weld the diff and away you go. Could make your own Perspex Windows and get a little carried away with the angle grinder to save weight. The m43b16 can drift trust me lol in the wet is easier but high tyre pressures and balls should see you through. Good luck either way

4. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

yea my dad said he wont help me kill myself... lots of faith that dude... but i see what you mean i work stupid shifts so on my nights i have loads to research about the swap cheers dude ;)

what psi should i have them on you think ? i have a couple of bucket seats(cobra monaco) but when i lived with a friend they let their cat use them as a toilet so i stripped them(not a friend anymore) worked out its actually cheaper to get a new set than to redo them :/ i think ill start stripping the interior and then while im doing that look into the perspex windows... i live near a old airfield so i have plenty of room to practice i guess just need the balls part...

have not really touched it as my squadie brother came over last night and wanted me to help him fit a amp and sub( his words make woman wet box) what a tit lol still no idea how to fit one and he didnt either, :no:

coilovers are on order now :)

5. euro sbd

euro sbd Active Member

hi mate there a great car ive had so many cars and my e36 skids better than any i have owned. my build thread on my touring is just above yours atm so check out mine if you get a chance. honestly, weld the diff put some coilovers on chuck 50psi in rear tyres and go and skid..... seat time is all you need and when you feel your pushing the car wack some lock mods on it (modded hubs) you will be good to go again. if you do go new engine route 2.5 m50 or 2.8 dont bother with the smaller ones.

6. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

yea i love your tourer dude its bloody beautiful.... kinda jap style beemer.... really want a short shifter and that roll cage must have cost a bomb :D i want it!!!

50 psi :wack: sweet baby jesus.... yea ok well coilovers are ordered i just need to steal my dads welder(need a good excuse can not involve going sideways)

ill keep my eye out for a 2.5 or 2.8 then cheers :)

how did you do your side windows btw?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

well ups are still in control of this build... come on already.... i went to take off my subframe and realised the bolts are 18mm and i have 17 and 19 :(

just missed out on a soarer on ebay... was bidding and i was waiting for the last min but im at work and lost out propper gutted was cheap as chips too... so instead of getting that ill be plowing more into this...

any one know how thick the perspex should be on the side windows please and would i rivet them on from the out side or the inside ?

also my dads not letting me borrow his welder so ill have to see if any one near me would do me the honours :(

no one wants to help me get sideways...

just found out that UPS has had my coilovers since the 25th and has not contacted me neither has the sender to correct their mistake on my address... i asked if they had my number or email and they said yes.... (so why didnt they ring me) should arrive tomorrow

#7 tiredhero, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. D.I.Y Drifter

D.I.Y Drifter Member

Easy mate I feel for you!! We're exactly are you based n I'll see if I can give you a hand/help pal as I know how hard it is when everything/everyone seems to be against you!!!!

Mick

9. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

I'm in Lincolnshire mick, well a closer to Cleethorpes I guess... I would appreciate any help :)

On a lighter note coilovers came, but damaged... Started stripping the back interior out and taken the rear bumper off so I can fit my quick releases and sort a little patch of rust and also sort the rear arches too... As some one did a bad job trying to repair them...

Also got a new daily and some spare wheels for the rears for drifting :) I will get this e36 how I want it one way or another :D

Thanks for looking

10. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

No point going all out before you skid the thing man.
    Get the coils fitted, diff welded and get to a track.

11. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

i know but its so annoying to me... ill be getting the coils fitted soon :) just need some decent weather and be able to get the sub frame off to replace the bushings... but not sure when the diff will be welded, unless i buy a already welded one... i dunno my daily came yesterday though a 318 tourer with spare wheels so going to use the wheels for drifty driftyness :)

but here is a couple pics of how its getting on

finally got the bugger off

[​IMG]

this is where some ones tried to do the arch :euge: terrible so going to sort it out coz its bloody annoying

[​IMG]

i sanded this side down abit and primed it for now.. called it a day as i have curtains to put up...

[​IMG]

with the spares on flat as pancakes though :|

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its very slow but it is getting their

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

Nice awaiting updates I am also a noob like you.

13. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

cool ill check out your build... you will like my dbz gear knob ha ha ;)

14. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

[​IMG]

Did you say dbz shift knob...

Need pics immediately [emoji28]

15. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

excuse the terrible gator also was a pain to fit :) well worth it though

[​IMG]

16. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

Hell yeah. Tops bru