Stateside RB e36

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by BrandonRoche, Aug 11, 2015.

1. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

No power steering currently. I will be hooking it up once my swap is done using the RB pump on the e36 rack with custom lines and cooler.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Sweet, might have issues with the BOV placement is all, the pump and lines will be close to it. I put mine in almost the same spot as yours and wish i hadn't.

3. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Might not even end up using it, but if I do I was going to make new mounts for it so it's down where the AC normally is. I'll see how it drives and drifts first, I can always move the BOV if I have to, just don't have a lot of hood clearance

4. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Well, I'd like to say I got a lot done, but it's the holidays and I haven't gotten to much sadly. In the overall scheme I may have done a decent amount, but not as much as I have wished.

I got my tach all wired up. Decided to go with an external one that decently matched the interior. I fixed my harness inside the car and decided I don't 100% like it... So I may just redo it all. BOV is all set and welded on, got my external wastegate and will be doing that in the later portion of January. Still haven't gotten around to picking up my new t clamps that are he correct size. All my water lines are run and hooked up, except for my overflow because I haven't decided where to mount it yet. All vacuum lines are hooked up including the ICV and it idles mint.

I started it last weekend and unplugged the MAF while it was running and it didn't change a thing, ran exactly the same and was still limited to 2.2-2.3k RPM. So I kinda popped the MAF open and saw one of the pins was kinda worn (turns out it was broken) for the connector to the MAF. So I will resolder that, but I've been considering just going straight to MAP and standalone and redoing my chassis harness at the same time... I've been mainly looking into ms3pro, then use all GM sensors, retrofit a ls2 TB, and just have the Nissan CAS. But idk, also been looking at PFC, but the features aren't all there, then haltech, link, and AEM are out of my budget. My tuner can tune any of them so I'm not really concerned about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also finally got to starting the oil cooler mounts, but the cooler still had oil in it, blew threw the side once and it splattered everywhere so I had to clean it and wait for my buddy to come back. Hopefully finishing them up this week though. He's the firewall mount all done, then there will be 2 on the shock tower.

[​IMG]

The finally, what I've been doing recently is finally getting the rear suspension all welded up. I got a 3.91 open from the black very, and just decided, fuck it, it's time. So I dropped it all out and I'll update with pictures of the mounts when I take pictures of them, but they are gone lol. I did the trailing arm reinforcements already, and started to build my new subframe mounts/cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made some more progress on Monday. Got 3 of the mounts tac'd in, but need to take out the rear right one and move it back slightly as if must have moved a little from where I had it clamped. Hopefully getting the trunk separation plate out today, getting all the mounts tac'd in and have them all lined up, making the reinforcements for the top side and shock towers, and possibly starting my "X". Then I can have all that tac'd and come back later with the car on the ground and weld it all solid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aiming for something similar to this. But won't be tying it forward because of the lack of rollcage haha. So it may all my tied to the shock towers. Picture is from Brian's Vert from "The Beam Team"

[​IMG]

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Looks good, have you considered a Nistune computer instead? Cheap and quite easy to tune.

Good replacement for an RB25 computer, and while it doesn't eliminate the AFM you save enough to go for a new Z32 plus a good chunk of change too.

6. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Have a look at the ecu master emu. Good unit for not a lot of money.
    That rear cage is mint, good job.

7. BavarianZ

BavarianZ New Member

WOW! This build is awesome! Respect the fact that you didn't go with a 2JZ or LSx like most do (Speaking hypocritically since an LS is basically my go to for a heart transplant.)

8. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Thank you! I haven't decided. I might go Nistune, might go just RS empathy tune. I've been thinking of going top mount and getting my turbo and injectors and tune now since I'm so close so early. But I want to get it driving first if possible.

Ditto what I said earlier except I haven't heard of ECU master so I'll look into it and ask my tuner. And thank you!

Thank you! Yeah I wanted to be a little different at the same time I just love RBs. I might buy a 1jz too for this car and just make two harnesses and subframes so I can swap back and forth as I feel like it. But that's future stuff haha

But I got really sick last week and made no progress at all. But over the weekend I got a lot done I think. The subframe is in and the X is in. Perfectly straight but the front my be a weeeee bit high, I can easily lower it down though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also going to build new shock towers that are raised up some . I shouldn't have to worry about breaking shock towers from true coils after I'm done. I'll also gain more squat travel which is nice.

[​IMG]

Might end up tubing the entire rear end and suspension now. But I'll see how it goes.

9. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Little walk through/by video. My driveshaft is ordered and should be here in 2 weeks... Hoping to make a lot of progress this weekend!

#49 BrandonRoche, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  10. FA154L

FA154L New Member

F#%*in awesome build dude...

11. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Didn't get a ton done yesterday, but oil cooler is mounted finally! Just have to clean it up and hook the lines up and it should be all set!

Hoping to finish welding up the "X" for the subframe and get my hood pins and seat from done Monday. It's starting to slowly but surely get so much closer to done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks man!

12. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Well driveshaft came in and fit mint... I'll get underbody pictures this weekend. As long as it doesn't rain I'll be able to get on the lift. I forgot to space the front of the subframe down (normally the front studs act as a little spacer where the nut is and I don't have that). That will push the driveshaft down as it is very close to the tunnel exit right now because of that.

[​IMG]

Also hooked my oil cooler back up. I need a new fitting for the rear line (135*) then I can shorten the hoses down and finalize it. Probably move the firewall in a little more just to give it a tad more room. I am picking up my t clamps for the hot side today to clean that up too.

[​IMG]

Waiting on an invoice now from Broadway Static so I can order my coilovers and get rid of the racelands! (Not that they are that bad, but I'd like something stiffer and more predictable)

Also... As I see more and more people trying this swap and asking me questions about everything I realize that there is a need for a new swap kit as it hasn't just been me with the issues from the Dryden/CJfab kit. So I have been talking with a friend of mine who welds and fabricates and we are planning on coming out with a full kit hopefully mid summer of this year! I'm planning on a full kit or partial kits, larger more race oriented pan, your choice of mounts, downpipe, head shields for brake lines, driveshaft, steering shaft, and possibly wiring (but wiring specialties pretty much has this locked down so idk about this yet). Pricing and everything will be figured out as I go and see the costs of everything. I already have a very solid idea of what I want to do in my head, just have to translate it to paper, then the engine. I'll try to answer as many questions as I can about it all, but I obviously can't answer everything.. And I will try to be available for everyone for swap info, if this thread someone isn't enough lol

#52 BrandonRoche, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  13. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

I pushed it up onto the lift and hopefully will have my fuel and rear brake lines done, subframe spaced, and clutch line ready to be ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fuel lines are up and run! Just need to get my return situated on top of the tank with the dual pumps, and have my filter come in! Wiring the fuel pumps is next, then building my brake lines! Getting close to drivable!

[​IMG]

14. Rubber Killers

Awesome project :)

15. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Thanks man! I'm really hoping to have it done by early/mid April so I can make the first event, but who knows... I want some time to drive it before so I don't register and break on the first run, but I also REALLY want to make the first event haha

16. JDMfrank

JDMfrank Member

So good, Looking forward to more.

17. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Thanks man! I'm too anxious to be able to drive this car... The wait is depressing especially since it's all little tedious shit now.

But on the update side of things, since you were looking forward to more:
    I spent some time to clean up my bay now that I have my fuel filter and I could hook up my fuel lines. So I cleaned up my vacuum lines a bit and have my fuel lines run down. Still at lot more tidying and when I pull the motor to paint the bay I'll probably do Some custom water line for the thermo housing to the back of the block. Currently it's just a big section of heater hose, but a formed one with 90* bends would be ideal. Also will tuck my injector harness down, etc.

[​IMG]

Quick picture of my fuel filter mounted up. I'm waiting on band clamps to replace the hose clamp holding the filter on. Also ran out of fuel injection clamps so I'll be changing those too, once I have time and they come in.

[​IMG]

The current outstanding list for the car to move under its own power is:
    - New MAF (I'll be checking my vacuum again but I'm 95% sure it's my MAF, and I have to check the codes next time I remember to)
    - Finish the fuel line return. BMW uses a 5/16" return but the crossover jumps it to 1/2". Since I'm dual pump, I have to find or make a 5/16"->1/2" fuel hose adapter to split my return equally
    - Wire the fuel pumps
    - Get a center dash plate so I can get gauges and properly mount them (current boost gauge pic below LOL, harbor freight for the win [emoji23])
    - Get a boost gauge, water temp gauge, and oil temp gauge
    - Throttle Cable (any suggestions on where to go?)
    - Expansion Tank mounts
    - Wire the fans in
    - Cut my AN hose to length so it's not everywhere
    - Change my oil (this is the tough part right here folks)
    - Brake lines, all of them, I have no hardlines right now and I want to keep them tucked, rear will be run through the cabin to my inline hydro (yes inline, I have 57 days until the first event and I'd rather not go into TOO much debt getting this thing ready).
    - Clutch line, just have to cut my current hard line shorter and reflare it, then measure and have OMNI make me one, that's easy
    - Finish welding the X for my subframe
    - Beef up the rear shock towers to handle the true rear setup, hopefully coming sometime soon

Then... It should "drive". From there I need to:
    - Do my exhaust; pie cutting oval SS is going to be FUN!
    - Finish my wiring for things like hazards, radio, etc. Then proceed to wrap all my harness in the byline braided stuff, and clamp it down.
    - Seal off things like the firewall, etc. wherever wires or lines pass through the cabin
    - Passenger seat mount
    - Take the entire car apart back down to a shell and paint everything [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
    - Assemble it all
    AND LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST
    - Weld my diff

57 days and count to have all that done while being full time at work and school... I can try [emoji28]

[​IMG]

18. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

[​IMG]

Hydro is mounted up. I got sick so and its been raining so I haven't gotten anything other than this done. Fuel tank still doesn't fit perfect so I'm dropping it again and hopefully getting it right... Who knew dual pumps and running the lines on the wrong side of the car would be so difficult!

19. e36drifter

e36drifter New Member

Amazing build, would love an rb36 but dont have the skills involved or monies, will leave it in the skyline for now.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product:thumbs:

20. BrandonRoche

BrandonRoche Member

Thanks man! I can't wait to drive it!
    I'm so close but it's just a lot of little stuff then waiting for random backordered things to come in. On top of that I've had like no time to work on it with school. This is the first of my 6 semesters at my school that I've actually had homework I HAD to do.