RX-8 but why?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Lycan-Strife, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Lycan-Strife

Lycan-Strife Member

Ok. Guys and Gals. Here goes.

I myself am a Drift-Instructor from time to time.
    Had a crap-ton of cars including my first and favorite car... The infamous Hachi-Roku!!!

I am looking for an Altezza for sale in the south of uk but stumbled upon a nicely priced RX-8 the 231bhp version.

I have never driven an RX-8 nor do I know how the hell good of drifts they make.

People PLEASE enlighten me. How good or bad are the Rotary engines in these cars.
    I want to drive this car - Cruise with it - AND DRIFT IT ON THE WET - ONLY ON THE WET.
    Will I be able to do that with a stock RX-8 etc.

Please inform me as soon as possible.
    As I am a dumb whop and have no patience!

Thanks!

2. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Yes you can drift it stock.
    Should you? Personal preference really. I previously was a drift instructor from time to time and have had an RX8 sideways in the wet. They have very low torque low down and have a reasonably long feeling chassis. I found you could hang the back out nicely and use the steering to shift around the weight but transitions are a little violent. The car feels heavy when it transitions. But they are cheap as anything these days, pop some coilovers on there or some stiffer springs and you can have fun in one. But you'd have more fun in an RX7..or an MX5.

3. Lycan-Strife

Lycan-Strife Member

Ah thanks so much for that.

I have had a S13 Rb25det and a Skyline r32 gtst and some other cars in the past.
    But I wanted to go back to a non-turbo car. Hence I was looking for an Altezza.
    But I can only find Altezza's far away. And the Rx8 is in Holland - where I am from.
    I am just a bit scared of all the horor stories I've heard.

What would be the best upgrades for the car (coilovers are a must in my opinion).
    And do they slurp gas just as much as a 350z?
    Thanks!

4. eddie_r32

eddie_r32 Member

I have just bought one, a 57 plate with 50k on clock for £1700 quid, they are a bargain, fuel economy is not great but they are fun to drive with a really good chassis for a stock car. Engine wise get it compression tested befor purchase, fit a new starter battery and decent coils d585 for example and for extra piece of mind premix the fuel and should last you, best of all is its recommended to redline the car at least once a trip.
    They have there quirks but they are nice cars

5. Lycan-Strife

Lycan-Strife Member

Agreed! Thanks for that bit of insight!

6. Elonexx

Elonexx Member

I've owned one for two years, but never drifted.
    They are bad on fuel, I average about 17-18 using as a daily, on track I wouldn't be surprised at single figures.

I haven't driven many cars, cannot compare to S bodies etc but the handling is great, the outright grip is immense. I run HSD monopros on mine. As stated, keep the revs high and it should be capable of sideways fun!

Have a look at this, http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/229751-minty-fresh-rotary-rx-8-a.html

7. mint

mint touch my fruit

8. Pete_the_Russian

When Jites was out in his at Finalboss, I thought the RX was a pretty capable car...for a washing machine anyway.

9. drifter r32

drifter r32 mentally young

I just bought one, engine isn't up to the job sadly, But amaizing superbly balanced chassis ,Standard LSD seemed to work well, just removed the engine from mine to replace it for pistons and some torque,

10. Elonexx

Elonexx Member

There's a few conversions over on the owners club forum, alot don't get finished though, good knowlegde base if you're wanting to keep the dials and other things as alot of stuff is integrated on these.

What engine are you dropping in?

11. drifter r32

drifter r32 mentally young

Focus ST 5 pot, cant decide, use the 6 speed with a conversion plate or the M90 gearbox, will be dropping the steering rack using the E46 rack, will be stand alone ecu,

12. Elonexx

Elonexx Member

Lovely sounding (Still :p) and tunable then!
    i think i've seen you post in the FB group actually?

13. Jites

Jites Active Member

don't use the 6 speed box unless you like replacing boxes ;)

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

That video above of Jites in his is proof enough, though it's pretty obvious, that all the people who say they're undriftable just can't drive for shit.

In the past I've fancied getting one as a drift car just to prove a point as I'm sick of hearing it.

If you're getting double figures from any car on track you need to drive harder.

I see 7mpg on track in my shitty BMW, and it only shows 7mpg as that's the lowest the standard MPG meter can show, it's lower in reality.

15. mint

mint touch my fruit

Jites friken owned that day! :D Blew up several boxes, swapped them track side and still did some decent skids.

For an almost bog standard RX8 minus lock mods, welder and coils. It was fully capable. :)

16. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

So boxes are glass in these?

Was thinking about one for the next car

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The RX8 6 speed is the same one from S15s, S2000s, GT86, later MX5s, etc.

Not strong, but not shit, as people push 400odd through em.

BUT people who use em in RX8s on track HARD (ie hard drifting, racing, autox, etc, not trackday bummers driving like it's a parade lap but thinking they're Lewis Hamilton) fuck em up.

Maybe it's a temp/rpm thing or something.

18. immy21

immy21 Member

Jites what did you break in the gearbox?

19. mint

mint touch my fruit

To be fair, I think Jites had an uprated clutch (Savage on off) in an old high mile box I think... The second box was again possibly high millage 5 speed. I recall him saying the same Stav, the 6 speed was the way to go. :) Tbf, Jites was clutch kicking that things alot! Was really good to watch and hear those little rev shifts on entry haha.

20. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

He was also running mega wide rears too was he not?