Picking a starter car / where to practice (Shropshire)

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by SpookOwns, Jul 31, 2016.

1. SpookOwns

SpookOwns New Member

Hi guys, new to the forum and have owned my mx5 for quite some time now, had a bit of fun in car parks, round abouts etc but wanting to get a bit more serious and learn to drift properly.

currently looking for a new car to practice as I don't want to kill my mx5 and my budget stretches to roughly an e36 / Lexus is200 most people I've asked have said the e36 hands down over the Lexus for a novice, all input welcome

Also looking for some info on some spots around Shropshire/Midlands/mid Wales to practice if anyone knows anywhere?

2. Stick

Stick New Member

I'd go e46, easy to drift and you can pick them up for pennies now

3. Ikeaaxel

Ikeaaxel Member

Why don't you get another mx5? That way you can easily transfer your skills to both cars and you can also steal parts from one to the other in emergencies.

4. bennyboi

bennyboi Member

I've just done the exact opposite and brought an IS over a BMW.

I'm fully aware that the bimmer is better to skid in general because of the power you get for your money but I'm just sick for looking at them and imo a modified Lexus look 100x better, plus for £500-1000 you can make the Lexus as fast as a 328.

Mine is also a daily driver and it's a fantastic car, just slow as shit. That being said, mine had the factory LSD and I've managed to get some fair slides out of her in the dry and I intend to use it like these on standard power for a while.

But as mentioned, just get another 5, I learn with one and the fact that power over skids arnt really an option teaches you better habits.

5. whiteface

whiteface Member

Or for £500-1000 you get a 328 ;) Not as nice looking probably, but... cheapfasts.

6. madmandave

madmandave New Member

Im in the same boat as you op I had 1200 to spend. I got a cheap e46 323i £400 found a diff extra wheels an stuff. Then thought about crashing it first day out lol. I dropped on 2 2003 omegas 2.2 both of them owe me less than £350 so im using the manual one and other one for spares. Santa pod shall be its test