S14a for a daily

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by SYdrifter, Oct 5, 2016.

1. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Hi all :)

Im sure its been discussed before but instead of going to 3 or 4 different places, I wanted to ask all i want to know here :)

Im thinking of changing my daily and goin for an S14a (SR20DET). Ive not owned one before so i was wondering if you could give me some advice.

Handling: How do they drift on the road with basic coilover suspension and little more mods. Including city driving.

MPG: i drive about 60% stop start city, 20% 50mph and 20% 30-40mph. Driving like this for about 150miles a week, what is my mpg going to look like on an s14 with about 250-300bhp if i dont boost much?

Reliability: ive heard theyre pretty reliable and well screwed together cars if theyve been looked after but ive been told of 3 major fault. Rust, vvto rattle and bottom end knocking.

Am i certain to come across these issues? Mainly the bottom end knocking that requires a rebuild.

Finally, have any of you ever bought a car from JDM garage thats been imported?

I was thinking about a skyline but i dont think i could cope with sub 20mpg lol.

2. counteract

counteract -o=me

From personal experience, unless you have money to burn then don't bother.

My first one was £20-£30 a week in fuel and that was driving about 2 miles each way to work a week.

Second one was about £40-£50 a week, plus it being my daily it could never get used to its full potential as if I did hit it I couldn't get to work. Then bits broke, for example the turbo fell apart while I was driving it, it raped me financially and genuinely almost made me bankrupt.

So from my experience, I would never do it again.

3. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Personally, not sure why people drive things like this daily, as ride wont be that great, and fuel costs will be eye watering. Add to that your adding a lot of miles onto an already aged car and if you are planning to drift it, if it goes wrong you can't get to work!

Personally, I think its more sensible to have a cheap run around then a monster at home for occasional beasting.

All that being said, it isn't actually that bad of an idea, if you pick the right car. Avoiding depreciation will, in the long run, help make up for the fuel costs etc.

4. 59bhp

59bhp Member

I dailyed mine for 2 years, doing 60 miles a day.

It was mostly stock with full interior etc and it was awesome.

cruising at 60 I got 36mpg (the compression is really quite low on a sr20det) so if you stayed out of boost it was actually quite good on fuel.

Service items are cheap, filters, plugs etc

if you really want to daily one, then find a near stock one, as most reliability issues that occur are from people screwing around with them, or not looking after them. Buy one with full service history that's been looked after like a 25k car (what it cost new) and not modified, and it will be fine.

rust, rust and more rust is a killer though.

I wouldn't daily one now, but there isn't a reason not too if your careful and look after it properly.

#4 59bhp, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  5. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Ok thanks all :) i currently have a Z4 and was wanting either a skyline or 200sx as theyre two of my favorite cars for a new daily :) though reading your comments makes me think it may end up resenting it if im in the garage all of the time.

And id only be looking to spend 5-8k and i take it id only be getting a knackered one for that?

6. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Are S15s any better? :)

7. daniel_g

daniel_g Member

You could get a S15 for the higher end of your budget, one thats only been in the country a couple of years isnt gonna have nearly as much rust as a ropey old s14a.

8. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

Any s body is the same as any car, you get shit ones and good ones.

I have had three as dailies, varying specs etc. They take some looking after compared to other stuff, and yes they use fuel.

Kinda goes hand in hand if you want something fast....

Saying you want a quick car that's good on fuel is a bit like saying I want to drift but don't want to wear out my tyres.

9. jayjafri

jayjafri Member

I had one for couple of years and used it at least 5 days a week was stage 1 mods and best motor I used. If you're looking to buy one as a daily you don't really take into consideration fuel costs cos when you jump in you are always tempted to give it some abuse and the odd sideways action. As long as it's been looked after you shouldn't have any major issues. I may be selling an rb25det s14a in the near future

10. bmurf

bmurf Member

I had one daily for 3 years drove 160- 200 miles a week roughly. I am in No way a millionaire and put in about £40 a week in petrol. It was only stage 1 mods and was enough for the roads. Even went through the snow quite nicely with skinny wheels on the back. Rust was my major problem, bought it completely rust free and within 18 months the rear sills basically fell out, they rust from the inside out. Buy one if you have some spare cash for repairs because you will prob need it

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

11. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Are they comfortable to drive and sit in traffic?

12. Mattie425

Mattie425 New Member

I use mine daily and have done for the past 8 years apart from a crazy spell where I bought a 307 which cost more than my s14a did.

Mines running 350bhp, I do about 250 miles a week in it and probably put £70 a week in fuel max

I find it comfortable but most of my journeys are dual carriageways and I only hit traffic towards the end of my journey so having a paddle clutch isn't the best for stop start traffic but its not unbearable

13. jayjafri

jayjafri Member

Depends if you got full interior or not and decent seats mine was standard interior big wheels and slammed and to be honest that's the appeal of it for me, if I wanted comfort I'd buy a barge ( I do have a ls400 now too though) but love jumping in a 14a just feels so nice on the road

14. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

mine is my daily.

I really enjoy it. I've also had a number of R33 and R32 skylines.

I'd say the 14 is a little better on mpg than a skyline (at similar tune levels) but not massivly. I have also had my 300zx as a daily. thats NA and was way way worse than both the skylines and my S bodies (CA18 s13 and my 14)

I'd say mpg is better than a e36 328i stock vs stock but i've now got a t2871r on my 14 and it's thirsyier round town. Better on mpg than a is200

to be honest. no matter what you do, it's still going to be seriously shocking mpg wise compared to just about anything "normal"

I've never had anything normal... my closest was getting a is200 as a daily... that was shit

anyway

as for skidding on the road... of course we don't do that. ever. but if I was to skid my car on a track that was like a road... well tbh it's not great. mine at stock power even was only comfy in 2nd on boost by which chance you'd be going ruddy fast. would you do that on the road... i mean a track like the road? think about it

as a honest "whats it like as a daily"... it's a car... it's nissans version of a Audi TT. think of it like that

as a honest "Whats a skyline like as a daily"... it's a car... it's nissans version of an Audi A4

genuinly thats all they were back 20 years ago... so like a 20 year old TT or A4... if it's looked after it'll be fine... I bought mine with a bottom end nock and some rust for £600 last winter. I rebuilt the engine and gave it a full service. Welded up the rust, thats it...I'd happily jump in it right now and drive it to the south of france.

get something thats been messed with and abused and shit and i'd not want to drive to the south of england lol

my advice... if you want a nice daily... get one. it's a nice daily... now go buy something else and skid that. it will be cheaper and happier and you wont cry when you have to spend weeks looking for a gearbox that will cost you all the scene rape points.

15. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Thanks all for your comments :) from what youve all said ive decided i will probly get one but only do a handful of mods to keep it with reasonable mpg, reliable and useable on the road. I currently have a Z4 (does about 28mpg) so im used to not alot of comfort so an S14 might even be more comfortable haha. Also, from your comments, ill wait for a nearly stock one if possible and one thats been looked after to ensure i dont need to get the engine rebuilt a week after buying it :) obviously i wouldnt skid it on the road. I do have a separate drift car used only on a track but it would be nice to take the S14 once in a while so do they come with LSD's or are they open? :)

Thanks

16. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Also, my apologies for the mpg stuff but, would a lightly modded one (round 270-300bhp) be able to achieve above 20mpg city driving?

#16 SYdrifter, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  17. Eynonz

Eynonz Member

I tried my PS13 as a daily for a couple of weeks.... never again.

It stays in the garage now, as I bought a Stagea as a daily. Much more practical, and still able to have some fun, can fit the dogs in the back too. :D

18. Saddened

Saddened Member

Why though?
    Was it slammed too low? Gutted? Too heavily modified for normal trafic?

I have to take the motorway to work for 12km and then back. I have to get over speed humps (not bumps, fucking pyramids), rough road and patch of new asphalt on that journey. You seriously think I won't be able to do it with a 200SX? I wouldn't go too low with the setup obviously. That is what coilovers are for after all. Otherwise I would just put lower springs and call it a day.

19. mcleansc

mcleansc Member

It's a car. Meant to drive. No idea why people are making them out to be anything other than that. It completely depends on what you decide to do to it that will effect its drivability. You can take a comfy car and ruin it with rock hard coilovers. If you do what most owners do and stick a fuck load of bolt on performance parts and leave the ECU standard then yeah, fuel economy will suck balls. My Silvia is at 340bhp with a PFC and fuel economy is fine. The 328i I bought while I make big changes is far worse. They are perfectly reliable if maintained properly. I've owned 2 over 4 years and neither has ever let me down mechanically. They aren't special fancy cars. They're just old Nissans.

20. SYdrifter

SYdrifter New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments :) am i right that, if looked after, without too many mods they appretiate?