**Engine Management Questions** feel free to ask

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Vlad_SX, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Vlad_SX

Vlad_SX Member

Well, to be short, my name's Vlad, I'm from RO, and fort the past 10 years i've been mounting and mapping stand alone Ecu's, beside this, made mils-spec wiring looms, and built race engines (all sort). So, if anybody has a question, curiosity,or problems that need solving, feel free to ask, and i'll help gladly, if i can, i'm not a god.
    :dw:

#1 Vlad_SX, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. Markfpc

Markfpc Member

I have a dta s80 pro ecu in my 1jz vvti I have a cam angle sensor error between 2-3k rpm low load, I've re wired the sensor tested the sensor etc but no joy

Thanks Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Markfpc

Markfpc Member

I've refurbished the vvti cam new o-ring etc would that cause the issue if it's not perfectly aligned as it was, I did mark it and make sure it was exactly where it should have been but a friend questioned that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Vlad_SX

Vlad_SX Member

Sounds to me, since you rewired the sensor and checked the connections, that you may have either a noise problem (since the sensor is VR, but i would leave this to the last to check, since it worked before) either a sync problem between the sensors, crank and cam (as i don't know how the DTA reacts de desync) Do you have a custom trigger wheel on the crank? or the oem one? Has the Ecu start giving this error after you replaced the o-ring? or is it just random. Is it working fine on high load?

2nd, check the sensor's resistance when cold, and recheck it when it's hot, if it's different, then the sensor is faulty. VR sensors usually do this when they break, they don't just stop working.

#4 Vlad_SX, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  5. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

Hey, Iam sorry for asking this here, but i can't seem to find out how to pm. Would you be willing share your map? i have to make my 2jz vvti run on a s80.

And with the issue, you can open the crankshaft oscilloscope. There you also find what happens with the cam sensor signal, nice place to start looking.

6. Vlad_SX

Vlad_SX Member

If it helps, i can only help you with non vvti maps, stock engine, aspirated engine + turbo, forged engine...
    Tell me your mods, and i can send you a base map to start from

7. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

that would be a great start. I hope that markfpc will also share his map with the vvti settings in it.

what i've got:
    stock 2jz GE with GTE headgasket.
    holset hx35
    ffim
    2.5'' tb
    hoping on 700cc intjectors
    and the usual individual coils wideband map etc.

doesn't the vvti have a diffrent cam sensor than the non-vvti?

8. Vlad_SX

Vlad_SX Member

Yes, the non vvti has a dizzy single coil setup, while the vvti has wasted spark and crank + cam sensor setup.
    I will look for a a ignition timing map wich you can use on your setup, the fuel map you'll need to tune after afr reading, but that's the simple part. Fuel maps don't seem to work great from one engine to another.

9. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

DTA requires a solid cam trigger at all times in order to keep running if you are sequential. Diagnostic screen will tell you how many cam errors etc there are to give a clue as to what is wrong

10. Vlad_SX

Vlad_SX Member

That's why i was asking, if it runs on the oem sensors, indeed, it needs ref signal at all time, If it would have, let's say, 36-1+ref setup, most ecu's swich from seq to batch injection and stil run when it has ref signal errors.

11. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

that would be nice! can you send me those? mail is in my profile.

12. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Some ecus do, some dont, certainly not a case that most do anything.

DTA in this case does need the cam trigger to be working in order to keep the engine running, if you are using it.

13. Vlad_SX

Vlad_SX Member

I've sent you a email :)