Cheapest Way To Own A Racecar? (Need Advice)

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by ghost9157, Oct 12, 2016.

1. docwra

docwra Active Member

Maybe Im getting old ......... OK, Im old, no doubt, but since when has your daily driver been a "racecar"?

Surely a racecar is something that "races" and generally not street legal? If that was the actual question then banger racing is where you want to be looking.

Oh, and getting insurance as a non EU 18 year old is going to be bordering on impossible, youd almost certainly have to take a UK test to stand any chance and even than a 1.0 Fiesta is going to be £2K+

2. ghost9157

ghost9157 Member

I don't mind not dailying at all but where could i actually find a place close enough to a racetrack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

You can't.

If you're studying in London then the nearest track is probably Essex arena.

4. ghost9157

ghost9157 Member

Can i rent like a parking place near the track and use public transportation or anythn to go there ?

5. r3k1355

You could ask the track, but then Essex is a toilet anyway so you would probably want to go to Santa Pod, which is even further away.

6. ghost9157

ghost9157 Member

LOL
    I googled some parking places near Essex found ones for 2.5£ a day which is fine i guess

7. ghost9157

ghost9157 Member

Any other track suggestions??

8. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

So you are gonna rent a parking space to park a car that you are going to race? Unless the car park is fully private I'm pretty sure you still have to have the car MOT'd, TAX'd and insured. And it'd probably get stripped lol.

And then you will still need to trailer it to and from the race track.

Just give it up dude. Unless you are fucking loaded then it isn't going to happen. Besides, at 18 as a student in London your prime reason to exist should be to get wasted and fuck bitches. You can race when you graduate.

9. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

Unfortunately, you sound like every other 18 year old who's into cars. Full of ideas and dreams but no way of actually doing it.

You're not going to get insurance, you're not going to be able to store a car anywhere and even if you do, your car won't be any where near competitive in competitions if that's what you're thinking of doing?

Give up dude, wait a few years.

10. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Its shit over here anyway

11. r3k1355

This, if you leave it anywhere public it's going to get either nicked or stripped while you're not looking.

12. Gooly

Gooly Member

I'm gonna take a guess and say you're probably gonna be studying in the south east (theres good unis everywhere in the UK but that tends to be where most international students come) in which case you're fucked anyway as there arent any tracks worth a shot here. Lydden is only just coming back around but its future is unclear. Pretty much anything on the good side of 150BHP will be 100% out of reach for you. Your best bet is either a 318TI or an MX5, frankly if you found a 328i underpowered you could probably do with re-learning to drive in a 130BHP shitter anyway lol. Get one of the above, do a pod day every now and then and focus on uni.

13. ghost9157

ghost9157 Member

I kind of wanted to come for university and drifting... Coz i thought drifting events are much more professional than in my country so idk
    I guess life without cars would be too boring to bear so i gotta weigh the pros and cons...

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

I think you just need a reality pill - theres a reason that 18 year olds who were born in the UK with rich parents cant afford to drift or even just drive a nice car. I would say is that we are very good for grip trackdays but Ive not seen any 18 year olds on them either.

ETA: Hang on, youre intending to go through university at the same time? Most students can barely afford to eat, youre dreaming if you think youll be able to afford ANY car, never mind a "racecar"

15. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

"coz"

ahh they have chavs in Egypt to?

I'm a student and I drift... here is what I have to do to manage it

1: I'm a student nurse so I get paid. £400 a month. Yay! - problem.... that doesn't cover my rent

2: I get student lone of £700 every 4 months... yay! I can pay my rent and eat (just and I mean JUST... if i was at a bigger uni my rent would be more and i'd starve)

So...

3: I work 3 part time jobs at least 20 hours a week. This means that when im on placement as a SN I work close to 60 hours some weeks

4: I buy cars, fix them up and sell them - i can't do this now some arse nicked all my tools. Irrelevant as you wont have this option.

5: My Daily I got for cheap as hell but i could still only afford it because i bought it when i was working full time before uni. It will not tow a skid car (even if i had a licence to do so. neither of us do).... oh I just had to put it up for sale...

6: my skid car and my daily are on a traders insurance policy that i share with my brother... he pays it... so thats £2000-£3000 I don't have to find that you do... I have traders insurance

because

7: im 29 and a mature student.

which means that

8: I earn £8 an hour at my part time jobs. not £5.50 like you will.

9: my skid car is kept in the uni car park because im very very lucky at my university (Which is not in a big city, you'd have no hope in london)

10: when the car brakes I know enough people round here after living here for years that I know people who can help.... you'll meet people like this. the scene here is epic. but it'll take you years

so

if your coming to the uk to study..... study... and build a race car on xbox

end of rant

now the real reason I'm posting.

studying here is awesome. it really is... but you might need to look into it a bit more because i don't think you realise how hard it is dude

16. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

as a side note.... £2.50 a day parking?

thats nearly £1000 a year for parking!>!>!>!>!>

17. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

#37 MaccyD, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  18. ghost9157

ghost9157 Member

Well a 1000£ a year we better than shit loads of insurance anyway.
    That's what i am currently doing? Lol looking into it maybe?

19. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

As I said above, you won't be able to do the parking thing. Stop being an idiot.