NA S14 Street Car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Gooly, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Gooly

Gooly Member

Hey, here's my 1994 Silvia Qs.

[​IMG]

Before I get onto the S14, I'll run thru the cut down story that led me to this point since I'm bored and avoiding doing any of my coursework at the moment. I'm currently a uni student and have been around drifting for the last 3 years now. First RWD was at 18 in the form of a Volvo 360;

[​IMG]

it was a completely standard 2l carbed GLE with a locked rear diff, which I started to learn the basics of streeto in. Few crashes and fixes later I had learnt to hold a decent skid but not much more; I then sold it and bought this:

[​IMG]

Which I kept completely standard and just drove around in. Blew the HG on the CA, put another one in and then sold it after having completely obliterated my wallet on running it. I realised it was probably best I got something easier to run and skid ready, so I picked up this 328.

[​IMG]

Pretty looking but broken in so many ways, I learnt how to do shift lock entries and transitions but again never got round to doing a drift day. After getting points for speeding I sold it due to not being able to afford the insurance; strangely enough, getting an S13 was actually cheaper so I picked up this:

[​IMG]

which was probably the worst decision I have ever made in my entire life. Massively overpriced and broken in pretty much every way (pic taken after cleaning up and lowering somewhat, believe it or not), I drove this probably 6 times in the 4 months I owned it and then sold after the bottom end went.

A few cars later I picked up this 325 coupe at the end of 2014:

[​IMG]

Which became this:

[​IMG]

Which I took to Lydden and did this:

[​IMG]

And then this.

[​IMG]

60mph through a water filled barrier and into a tire wall resulted in majorly distorted turrets so this was stripped down and sold. Lydden was my first ever drift day after two years of street practise and it showed; I had alot to learn and the only way I was going to do so was through solid seat time in a solid car. Few cars later and I picked up this 325 non-vanos saloon, which had been barry'd up but otherwise sound.

[​IMG]

Turned it into this:

[​IMG]

Did this lots of times:

[​IMG]

It was a 325 non vanos with a locked 3.15 ratio diff, coilovers and rack spacers. So simple yet so fun, this taught me loads, got me through 5 lydden days and a pod day and took me to and from work every day. However I saw the opportunity to buy another 13 and sold it. Instantly regretted doing so and still miss it but hey ho. S13 turned out to have no chassis legs or inner sills so that got broken for parts; I then built this POS with an M52B28 and a locked 3.45 diff, slammed it on its arse and used it as a winter skidder for a while.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, come 2016 I had landed myself a 6 month driving ban due to racking up 12 points. While I was somewhat gutted, I was also relieved as it was a fresh start to A) un-explode my bank account and B) sell up out of crappy BMWs and build something decent. Soooo I bought a written off S14a 200SX and a rolling shell and with alot of help from friends we managed to chuck this together:

[​IMG]

However this was far less complete than it looked and when my ban ended I realised that I had neither the money nor the time to run an SR20DET as a daily and a drift day car. I put it up for it's breaking value and sold it within a day; on the very same day, I saw an advert for a dubious looking S14 import...

[​IMG]

It's an SR20DE powered JDM S14 which was bought into the country in 2006 and daily'd by someone as a standard runaround for the best part of 10 years, by which point it has clocked up 330,000kms. It was then bought by someone who basically ripped it apart, screwed around with it and then sold it onto me. I purchased it with a snapped toe arm, a completely stripped interior bar doorcards and dash, a bootlid that was gaffa taped down due to the seller messing around with the boot lock (which left lovely glue marks all over the back), mis-matched coilovers on the front, seized rear brakes with pads down to metal, a standard exhaust with the backbox literally ripped off so the midpipe ended near the rear wheel, a stereo that kept causing the sidelight / taillight fuse to pop, about 30 foot worth of wiring to some crap rear speakers and a plethora of other issues. However it made cool NA noises and I managed to get it for cheap so I decided it was worth putting some time into. After sorting the boring stuff I focused on looks:

Turbo lip, Navan grill, orange indicators and 20mm spacers up front fitted:

[​IMG]

Grids sold, 15x9 BM8s fitted, matching coilovers fitted and lowered:

[​IMG]

Carpet, chequered floormats, Bride Brix, pignose passenger seat, back seats and Nardi Torino fitted:

[​IMG]

Current spec is:

1994 S14 Silvia Qs SR20DE
    Japspeed Diayama coilovers
    Rear toe arms
    Stupid long 3.7 VLSD which sucks
    Unbranded NA specific 2.5" exhaust with decat and japcan

Rota BM8s, Toyo T1Rs
    Navan grill
    Turbo splitter
    De-spoilered

Bride Brix + Bride rail
    Nardi Torino

I have S13 hubs and an R180 2-way diff to fit however both need supporting mods before they can be installed. Once those are on, plus a light fly and a decent clutch it'll see Rockingham & Pod and maybe Lydden if they change the current proposed format / price. At the moment I'm just enjoying dailying it, despite the insanely long 3.7 diff. It skids well as it is, sounds good and is pretty easy to run day-to-day so it's perfect for what I want. On the hunt for a Vertex roof wing and kouki boot spoiler and then exterior will be pretty much sorted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Gooly, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Great looking car and looks clean...... N/A SR friend ......

3. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

oh HAI there.

subbed. top guy, awesome car and things done right.

4. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Love this dude.
    Super clean and simple, spot on.

If you get hold of a kouki wing, could I possibly try it on the IS before you fit it? I'm trying to picture how it would look...

5. Gooly

Gooly Member

Thanks man, yours looks awesome I cant wait to see it running! I think end goal for my SR20DE will be nistune on turbo ecu and mapped with 264 cams or similar

Get a build thread up we can be 14 bros

Sure man I'll hit you up, I reckon it would look really decent. Bybs is making reps soon he's gonna have them up for £170 but I want a cheap used one ideally

6. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

I've got Tomei cams in mine... work really well you won't be disappointed. mines just in getting a link ecu with throttlebodies Will be keeping an eye on your progress see how it's goes

7. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Quite a history there bud lol. Love the s14 it sits so well on 15s !

8. HaydenK

HaydenK Member

Best style!

9. m11ler

m11ler Member

this looks cool man :thumbs:

10. Gooly

Gooly Member

Thanks for the love everyone!

been a busy week or two. Did a mot:

[​IMG]

Bought a dmax roof wang and tried it on:

[​IMG]

Went to pod as a passenger with a friend, which mainly involved fixing this all day (I'm so glad I have an NA...) but was fun nonetheless

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a go in a friend's AW11, which has bought back massive 4AGE cravings...

[​IMG]

threw some soapy water on the 14

[​IMG]

I think once extended LCAs are on I'll lose the spacers as the poke looks a bit roller-skatey up front#

[​IMG]

Then went out for activities with some friends which were then cut short by a snapped alternator belt on one of the R32s

[​IMG]

Have purchased a Kouki spoiler and a 6-speed gearbox package with an autech flywheel so hopefully by a few weeks this should have two wings fitted, hubs, 4.1 diff + poly subframe and a 6 speed box.

#10 Gooly, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. m11ler

m11ler Member

Raaaaaaaaad. You'll definitely want to lose the spacers once the extended lca's are on. I remember they did wild things to my old 14.
    Will look sick though.

12. Gooly

Gooly Member

Thanks man, yeah will be good to lose the spacers up front when i get arms on and will make the front end look alot better with some more camber as well. Also i loved your old 14 haha, small wheels on zenkis are best

13. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

I'm a huge fan of the roof spoiler bud. Looks great

14. Gooly

Gooly Member

Thanks man, still need to get round to fitting it haha.

Not much to add to this except for the fact that autumn is great. Still need to fit roof wing, 6 speed is getting picked up next week and may have found a solution for diff. Still after a new dizzy if anyone knows of a RWD SR20DE one. In the meanwhile just been continuing to daily it and getting the occasional practise every now and then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

16. Gooly

Gooly Member

not much to report on this except for the fact that its seen plenty of action and not much love lately, a winter refresh is most definitely due. Clutch is slipping, rear dampers are fully blown, it 100% needs a wash, have a fuel surge issue, brakes need doing all round, and I'm currently getting one of my rear wheels welded up after a mishap. Rolling on some 7j watanabes on the back now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Club 15"
    [​IMG]

Before I smashed a wheel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been some donated two pairs of rear S13 coilovers; one pair of teins and another pair of apexs; between them and my fucked pair of rear S14 daiyamas I'm going to see if I can make a good pair to last till my student loan drops in Jan. Hopefully come jan this will have my 2-way, 6spd and hubs fitted. Even as it sits atm it drifts well so once its done it should be a good laugh to drive hopefully.

#16 Gooly, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  17. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Seriously cool car dude. Are you going to be using the S15 box?

18. Gooly

Gooly Member

6spd is from Spec R S15, however will likely be selling it now as my SR20DE decided to do its bottom end tonight. After any drop-in engine now, be it another SR20DE, an SR20DET, a CA, RB, dont really mind as long as the price is right and its relatively local.

19. Leno

Leno Member

Really like this thing.. would be awesome to build a reliable ca for it!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

20. Gooly

Gooly Member

Looking like it's going to be CA if I can find one, or an RB20DE+T setup as two of my mates have RB20DEs sitting around not doing much. Its a real shame as I genuinely loved the SR20DE but the cost / availability of them doesnt justify the power, so it's time to move on. I've never drifted anything with a turbo and I'm looking forward to driving super aggressive with some boost behind me.

Also need to figure out handling; Ideally want S14 4-pots up front with decent pads and move up a tyre profile or two, maybe to a 205/50 or even 205/55 so that I can retain a more useable ride height.

If anyone knows of a decent engine package in the southeast currently for sale then please give me a shout!