Help Car is "undriveable"

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by p555ben, Oct 28, 2016.

1. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Hi all,

my s13 is currently up getting mapped and had alignment done at the same time, he is live mapping so car needed to be aligned first as it has all new DW arms front and back, new coilovers, new steering arms, new rod ends, Huxley Knuckles, rack moved forward 20mm, extended lower arms, new discs, new pads,

now hes aligned the car and is currently trying to map it , but the car is not driving well, he said its all over the place and pulling here and there,

I no this is very vague but cant think why there would be any issue as EVERYTHING is new and hes just aligned it to drift/road alignment from MITTO thread, its fairly low but not silly low, fit a fist between chassis rail and floor.

what could the issue be?

any help or direction would be great

2. jbsauce

jbsauce Member

If its aligned, and you have all the correct arms to achieve what mitto has put, then theres something else wrong, bushing gone somewhere, or something with the diff.

3. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

the diff and box have all fresh oil was all working well, all bushes are new diff bushes , subframe bushes, arms are all new.....
    its hard too specify.... the power steering was leaking so he took the belt off, guess the lack of power steering wouldn't help??

its frustrating as its running but he needs too final map it, but if its not driving well he cant map it properly....

4. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

one thing I have missed..... I asked for camber 2'50" but only 3.40 could be achieved.... would that mess the front up a lot?

5. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

I think you might have answered it yourself. The rack could be fucked that's why it might be leaking.

6. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

the rack had all new lines too it, was leaking from a fitting, and hadn't been run till he has started tuning it....

7. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Either the alignment has been done wrong, the suspension install is wrong or something is broken.

Hard to say much more than that on the available information.

8. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

I know man its frustrating as its like 3.5 hours away and cant pop down too have a look......nothing makes sense as like I said most of it is new.... ill have to bring it back and try remedy it myself .... just a shame it wont get final mapping ....

9. clonehunter

clonehunter Member

you could "only" go to 3"40 instead of less camber with driftworks stuff?
    There is something really wrong mate, care to post some pictures maybe?
    Its hard to tell from text only...

10. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

He can't take pictures, it's 3.5hrs away, hence why he's trying to describe it as best as possible

Somethings i've found over the years:

The seals in the rack could have dried out from not being used in a while and it could be leaking, especially if they were on the way out before it was parked. However shouldn't have a huge effect, especially if power steering has been disconnected.

Cracked knuckle in the rear - really hard to pick up when stationary, but when loaded up it flexes. We've had one happen on track while chasing a weird steering feel and when it went it wasn't pretty. Could also be cracked near a pickup point for an arm. Best bet is to jack the car up on each corner, get someone to get underneath to shine a torch under and check while another person grabs a pipe and levers the wheel up from underneath

LCA mount on the subframes could be cracked - again hard to pick up, see above

Inner tie rods could have started winding themselves out of the rack since the alignment

One of the spherical bolts could be just loose enough to spin when under tension

Wheel bearings are loose / worn out or wheel nuts are loose

11. docwra

docwra Active Member

If its been aligned then the measurements would show if something was well wrong, no? If its literally "all over the place and pulling here and there" then youre talking massive differences in tyre inflation, running different sized wheels/tyres on one side to the other, totally bananaed chassis, subframe not actually bolted to car ........... these are not minor issues

12. Gooly

Gooly Member

Can't add much to the above except that 3deg of camber would 100% not result in the car being undriveable. Defo something wrong and likely to be an issue of something moving when it shouldnt as opposed to something being out of line. Was the car trailered up? Is there any chance that when it was ratcheted onto a trailer / flatbed they ratcheted it up too tight and bent / cracked / snapped something? We once had it where we ratcheted up an E36 and completely skewed out the toe up front; over-zealous ratcheting could have been the final call for an old skinny oem nissan arm / a rusty subframe mount / etc etc

13. Kingk

Kingk Member

I've basically just done same setup on my s14a and I struggled to pull the camber in after doing lock mods. Luckily my hsds have a second set of mounting points on the top plate, but I still struggled after swapping over to the second set of holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Gooly

Gooly Member

Extended LCAs on a macphearson strut car is always going to give you loads of camber, you're pushing the hub out and not moving the top mount location.

15. Lukey13

Lukey13 Active Member

3 words.. Steering, rack, bushes...
    OR steering column bush

From what it sounds like, typical symptoms of the first one.. Let us know your findings :thumbs:

16. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Incase this isn't resolved yet...

On my old S13, I had a really weird thing, of when I floored it, the back end sort of crabbed, I checked everything, and it turned out to be because I was running different tyres on the rear(ie different left to right)

Make sure both rear tyres are the same

17. eight_six

eight_six Member

with that much camber on the rear it will 'squirm' badly when driving.. and will feel really unstable to drive