Dudley Fabs - W202 Mercedes 230 Kompressor Practice car and grocerie getter.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Adam-MGTF, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Just a taster pic of what it looks like now....

[​IMG]

NOW - The project.

I did have this car up for sale a month ago... but as nobody wanted it even for £800. After chatting to my best mate Evan (Aka Dudley Fab) we decided to do the sensible thing and use it for some pimp skids!

First off some photos of it standard, I've been using it like this as a daily since the start of October.

[​IMG]

Feck ugly.

Cool old man interior though!

[​IMG]

Now the list of problems:

1. It looks like a tractor and handles like a boat
    2. Open diff means many gayness
    3. When 1 and 2 are fixed I'll probably fall out the seat if I do a skid.
    4. It's silent... not quiet... it sounds turned off
    5. The handbrake is a footbrake... that's.... less than helpful
    6. The tyres and wheels are offensive

list of actual problems:

1. It missfires when hot
    2. The gear stick can't always decide what gear it wants to go for... I've fixed this once already grrr!
    3. It needs a catch can if I want the engine bay to stop being full of oil

In addition the thing is built like a tank... seriously just getting the front bumper off was such a ball ache. Some Fritz out there loves his fittings and fixings... So we needed to make things simpler for trackside repairs and shizzle.

Remove some crap.

[​IMG]

Then spend some time being all confused by the boost but no Turbo...

[​IMG]

Front bumper off to make access easier. And to make it easier to put back on if I fall off the track.

[​IMG]

At this point I decided to notch the crash bar by around 150mm to get some more air to that tiny intercooler

[​IMG]

I also decided to take the springs off... Safety Third ^^^

While taking stuff off we got the exhaust off for what Evan calls "Custom Fabrication" and I call "A good bodge"

Fun time is welding time!

[​IMG]

£2 worth of welding wire and...

[​IMG]

£5 worth of gas and...

[​IMG]

All baffles removed from the stock exhaust. Yes back pressure blah, yeh lost power blah blah but fuck it. I have no budget and I want noise.

Speaking of no budget... notice the springs in the above picture??? :smash:

Oh yes... ghetto cut springs yO!

[​IMG]

The way the springs sit in the cups, we took 2 coils off the fronts and 1 off the rear and there is no way at all they can fall out. The car handles loads better and I can't see £100 lowering springs being 100 times better than my £0 cut springs. So it'll do for now!

#1 Adam-MGTF, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

Been looking for one of these for ages [emoji23] looks mate be intresting to see what ya do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. qwasder

qwasder New Member

Look forward to that understeer.

4. Komical

Komical Member

This is seriously what I need to do with mine. Do like having standard height though and just being able to dumb shit in it haha!

5. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

I have one of these and a 190e and they are awesome mate! Dont know why more people use them for drifting. They are faster than a 328, forced induction (also sound epic), parts are cheap as fook and there's uber lock on them. I also cut the springs. Everybody who knows mercs do, as the strength etc on them are exactly the same as aftermarket ones. The m111 engine (c230k) is forged and good for 450hp + which is always nice to know, even though thats not really needed.

Glad there's someone else currently taking advantage of these cars :thumbs: Keep up the good work

6. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

It's built now. few more tweeks to do and i need to paint it. But it's a simple build! Awesome car to skid. it's laughable how much better they are than e36s, infact it's quicker than my s14 was on the stock turbo! It also hooks and goes even on these crappy wheels. Lots and lots of lock too

I've looked forward and backward and I can't find any on my car... have you seen it?

Tbh the hight isn't bad as it is now. any lower and it'd be a ball ache. my 14 is wayyyyy lower. I've had it full of wheels and tools and still sits ok. It's lost some comfort but not much

Fantastic car I have to admit. I'm not a fan of german stuff. Especially after so many e36s that put me through major misery lol. But this thing is very very well built (if a little "over engineered" i'd say. certainly it's OTT compared to a nissan.

Faster than a 328i? easy... stav used to say his was on par with a 330... i know mine has full interior and the only "power mods" are a 99p pod filter, binned induction pipe stuff and a de-baffled exhaust. It pulls away from my mates stripped out e36 328 (with lower case diff) without trying. looking forward to twinning with it!

Lowered springs im guessing may have a stiffer ratio or something? but it handles great on the cut springs and they really can't fall out. so sod it!

The lock shocked me, it's more stock than my 14 has with rack spacers! and it looks like it'd be easy to get more if i was greedy.

450 bhp you say... I do have a holset sat on a shelf............ :smash:

7. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Weldy diff time...

Getting it off the car was a twat. Rounded a bolt because I'm a tool. So I had to weld a nut on the bolt.

[​IMG]

By the way... carpet makes welding on the floor comfy... it also sets on fire :smash: - dumbass

I do like playing with my torch

[​IMG]

more fire works

[​IMG]

Other than me rounding a bolt (because I'm a tool) getting the diff out was a doddle. Even easier than a Nissan

[​IMG]

I'm sure most people on here have seen diffs welded. But as I'm a shocking attention whore... more photos!!!

[​IMG]

woooooo - get you some-ah-that!

[​IMG]

note to self... clean dry the brake cleaner up next time....

[​IMG]

warm goo... giggedy

[​IMG]

sealed up and chucked back on car.... fitting is the reverse of removal.

While we were at it, the front bumper got some more top level bodgery

[​IMG]

get rid of the rough bits... #showcar

[​IMG]

Popped it on along with a matt black grill for added black...

[​IMG]

along with whats left of my front splitter off my s14... going to add sides to this if i can find something in the shed that will work.

[​IMG]

I also de-spoilered it... the spoiler sadly was held on with a ton of glue

[​IMG]

So we just started rubbing it down for paint! lol (That escalated quickly) :smokin:

Total project cost so far - £0 (other than weldy/cutty supplies)... going well!

8. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

looking good man you gonna change the wheels? also you still got the 300

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I've got another one of these now, though my old one was proof enough that they're awesome.

And these days shit's moved on, and know of at least 2x Good/big spec C230K drift cars in the UK.

10. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

you gonna start a thread on you'res?

11. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

I have one too that I have been keeping quiet. Owes me fuck all, more comfortable and prob far better to drive/hoon than a BMW or Nissan [emoji41][emoji108]

Mind I have a gs430 and 190e as a daily too. So I'm partial to a merc [emoji106]

#11 Al_E11evens, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  12. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Yeh man, putting some conversion spacers to go to 5x114.3. May as well, I can't be arsed having merc wheels as well as nissan wheels kicking around lol.

Yeh dude. the 300 has a cage and all sorts now so It's gone a bit next level. Just taking agess!!

Sweet man, I bet they do well with a good set up. I can't believe how fast mine is. It squats a lot and then just goes for it!

Your old thread was what got my arse in gear to build this!

he better!!!!

13. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

I'm still a nissan man at heart. but this thing just ticks all the boxes for a good practice car you can still street.... I can't work out why e36s are changing hands for mid £1000s when you can get these things for under £500!!!

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yeah, they're surprisingly fast. I'm not sure if anyone's put a standard one on the rollers, but not sure I believe the 189bhp they're meant to be, and my old one made 230bhp or whatever it was with very few mods, enough to keep up or beat stuff that on paper should be way faster.

Nah, can't be arsed tbf.

My Instagram is probably best bet for keeping up with that and the other car shit I do- www.instagram.com/stavfc

15. Repetitio

Repetitio Member

Great to see another w202 drift car. I will follow this!

16. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Yeah there will be drift tax on these soon with performance for $$. I'm bursting to get mine out to give it a blast!

17. driftyste

driftyste Member

It's finding manual ones that's the problem but apparently any of the 4 banger boxes fit will soon see I just ordered a 220 mm pulley front mount bosch pump 300zx fuel filter and a 4.5 bar reg and boost / oil temp gauges (thanks stav for the info) off to collect service stuff and colder plugs tomorrow hopefully all goes well. Just need to get rid of the shitty slush box

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

18. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Crap wheels or not... it now does a skid... But That seat was like sitting on a water bed.

So

I had an old Sparco Sprint bucket seat in my loft. I had it in my 300zx (http://www.driftworks.com/forum/dri...-300zx-daily-running-build-log-pic-heavy.html) for 2 years. Lots of good times and probably saturated with sweaty adrenaline rushes and tears from wall slams... yummy

I took the OEM seat apart and me and Evan mocked up the seat and the sparco fit pretty easy

[​IMG]

Sorry for a lack of photos

It fit well... the forward and backwards thingy still works and the up/down thing did too... I kept all the standard mech so other people could drive the car, mainly my brother.... sadly my brother doesn't fit behind the steering wheel. Say hi graham

[​IMG]

As you can see he's a big guy and he's my man. Best mate and little brother. Also the reason I'm building this thing is that he lent me his e36 and I hit a wall with it hard enough to crack the engine block :cry: so I needed to make sure the big guy fit.... for that reason I'm going to get an aftermarket steering wheel and boss asap

anyway

Seat looks dam good in the car. I was worried it'd look daft in a pretentious merc

[​IMG]

God it needs a clean.

as you can see I kept the standard seat belt... a harness would keep me held in better but this is the skid car of a Gentleman...

Speaking of gentleman. my knob sucked

Evan... make me a knob

[​IMG]

I had an idea using some tube we had in the scrap bin.

Finished it off with a BMX grip because we iz scene as fook innit

[​IMG]

Honestly a top mod. cost nothing and gear changes are much better

Now boring stuff

Changed the fuel filter... cost a couple of quid and fuck me did the car run better... that said it wasn't a fun job compared to a Nissan. ugh

[​IMG]

Also have some photos of the cut springs... as you can see.. it's not unsafe. the spring simply can't jump out the cup.

[​IMG]

Theat's the rear with the wheel slack. Dropped 1 coil off that

the front:

[​IMG]

lost 2 coils on that

OK

Now it skids and I don't fall out of it... I suppose I better make it looks a lot less shit

Problem is I have a budget of £0.00

errrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BTW we are still like 2 weeks out of date. Cheers Harvey D for kicking me up the arse so I'd do an update.

19. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Def over 200... tbh it was quicker than my 14 when it was standard and at least as quick as my stage 1 R33

I get the lazy... but come on... share the love man

The amount of messages i've had about these cars.... Merc manual boxes will be more expensive than R154 at this rate!

Oh... more power you say? always nice lol

20. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Who want's an ugly drift car? I don't... Offensive, yes. Ugly, No.

So

I weighed up some options and it seemed that given I have 3 nissans all with 5x114.3 PCD and a load of skid wheels in 5x114.3 AND my s14 is benched while I use this on the road... I may as well use Nissan fitment wheels on my merc. But they wont fit.

Cheers Superforma :D it blew my budget of £0 to shit, I spent a little over £250. But my spacers were ordered! Down side. They would take up to 3 weeks and I had to drive back to uni in a week or so! :cry:

Luckily I sold this to one of my best mates last year:

[​IMG]

Dave isn't using his 202 at the moment so he said he would lend me his spacers and wheels! :worthy:

Total legend

As you can see these are some BIG ass spacers on the car. Plus 0 offset 8j wheels (same size and offset I run on my 14)

[​IMG]

I knew my arches were probably going to suffer today....

[​IMG]

ah

[​IMG]

worth a go.... but it doesn't really do the "fit" bit of FITment

[​IMG]

looks insane though!... but we want to do skids, not hard park. Choppy choppy

[​IMG]

Forgive me

[​IMG]

Much better!

[​IMG]

But not good enough... check out all the shiny new rubber :/

[​IMG]

OK... so it was like 9 o clock at night in January. We'd put the car in the garage and discovered it was eating all the tyres.

There was only one thing to do... I bought beer and we set to work....

#20 Adam-MGTF, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017