Ps13 starts then cuts out!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by g7gno, Feb 26, 2017.

1. g7gno

g7gno Member

Just recently bought a ps13 and last night I did around 120 round trip this morning no life in battary, just started it and it started then died no matter what I do to prevent it from cutting out it alwas cuts out, I have looked over all the parameters on the power fc and all seam to me OK it's almost like the ignition is begin switched of 2 seconds after it starts I'm sure pump keeps going tho,
    It's sr20det on Apexi ecu, I'll try upload tge video of this morning, any input would be much appreciated
    Cheers

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

2. g7gno

g7gno Member

Link to YouTube where I have uploaded it

3. chopaholic

chopaholic Well-Known Member

Have you checked the MAF and for massive air leaks?

4. g7gno

g7gno Member

Yeah first thing j did was go over all vacuum and intercooler piping all seams sound, maf I havet tryed as I doint t have spare

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

It's starting so i wouldn't say loose earths. Seems to have fuel too

If you put your foot on the throttle while cranking does it stay running after it fires? that would indicate TPS or idle control valve

The dead battery could be a result of the alternator packing a sad at some point on the drive, and you could have driven on the battery and thus draining it. Did it run rough at all in the last bit of the journey? Any misses or farts at all?

Check voltage at the battery while someone cranks it over, check you're getting more than 12V while it runs for the second or two. If not, alternator is either dead or slipping on the belt (also, check the belt is even there!)

After that I would check the TPS isn't loose and self adjusted during the drive. Also make sure the idle control valve is plugged in & isn't clogged up

6. g7gno

g7gno Member

Thanks for inputs,
    Yeah it seams fine do be fare it's the furthest it ever been and I was expecting it to not make it haha, but no ran sound there and back and even had some abuse on way home,
    Alternator belt was slack when I bought it that I had tightened and was fine after,
    Yes the tps seams to ready withing giving parameters on the power fc and all looks well under bonnet
    I haven't checked idel control valve tho,
    It will rev when I start it but still cuts out,
    Was jumping it on a old battary form my landrover witch was overkill but gave me a solid 12.5v not sure when cranking buy I'd think it would be fine maybe! I'll check that next Aswell,
    I pull the ecu from sil80 tomorrow and see if this keeps it running if so I'm thinking a coil/ingition driver withing ecu packing up hopeing it's not ecu tho

#6 g7gno, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

If the ecu swap doesn't fix it then might be worth replacing the fuel filter just in case.

Does it have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on it with a pressure gauge? What's the pressure dropping to when it does fire? If it's sat for a while debris may have clogged the fuel filter and the reduced flow is not allowing the pressure to hold. Could also be a clogged sock on the fuel pump in the tank

Check the voltage while it's running for those few seconds, not while cranking. You want to see how much the battery is getting once the starter motor isn't loading the circuit.

Might pay to give the fuel pump a direct feed from the battery too, even just a temporary one to eliminate the factory fuel pump wiring

8. Tyler burgess

Tyler burgess New Member

I'm having a similar issue with my sr swapped Datsun 510 with a new power fc. It starts right up then dies right away after raving to 1400 rpm.

IMG_2047.JPG

9. jeffries

jeffries Member

I had this issue. I think your pfc may be blown as mine was. Mine was cutting power to the coilpacks on ignition. I had shorted the battery out by accident. Pfc are very prone to blowing.

10. Tyler burgess

Tyler burgess New Member

It's bran new I letteraly took it out of the box and fired it up. And now I have this issue. You really think it's blown?

11. jeffries

jeffries Member

Hmm maybe not then. I know a few coilpack pins swap around between the straightcam ages so might be worth confirming the loom matches up to the ecu pin outs

#11 jeffries, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Cades

Cades Member

Try the MAF. On a Pfc the car will fire,then die cause it can't run without one. If you have a stock ECU swap it over,if it's the maf it will run (if not badly)

13. jeffries

jeffries Member

Fixed now then mate?

14. Tyler burgess

Tyler burgess New Member

Iv been at work but the loom should be perfect I bought a bran new harness from wiring specialtys but I just bought a z32 maf and I'm going to install that. Is there a way to tell the pfc that I'm running a new maf with just the commander?

15. jeffries

jeffries Member

Yes, there is a selection on the pfc to change it to z32 when using the commader. But that will only cause the car to hunt rather than stall

16. Tyler burgess

Tyler burgess New Member

I think I have it figured out. I have the pfc djeto and that is designed to run on a map rather the my maf set up im trying to run. Anyone know much about maf to map conversions?