The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. matthew_l

matthew_l Member

Curious, I've just picked up a 7 blade, Holset HX35W with a 12cm housing and the wastegate welded closed, so will be running external (I would have been anyway).

Engine I will be running it on is an M54B30, with standard compression (10.5-1) and hopefully 18-20psi of boost.

My question is, i've only really seen people use HY35s, what sort of gains am I expecting to see here, full boost typically by? I'll be knocking up a basic log manifold and running a 3" exhaust system.

There was a guy on one of the pages running a HY35, no idea on housing sizes but it was internally gated and was getting 23psi of boost at around 2800rpm, standard compression too...

Management wise I will be using a generic remapped 330i (for vanos maps and rev limiter) ecu, alongside a DET3 piggyback.

Matt

[​IMG]

#1381 matthew_l, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

a note on what happened with my holset before it killed itself.....

A quick recap of the setup, a fully forged 1JZ lots done to it, running 6boost manifold and a HX35 with 12cm housing unfortunately i have no dyno graph but the HX35 came on hard and at 1bar we were making roughly 500hp. The aim was to take it to 1.5bar and see what it did but when bringing the boost up to see if the current wastegate spring held but the back exhaust wheel caught the housing and that stopped the end of play. I have no doubt that on my setup the holset would have seen 600bhp but cannot prove this.

With my mappers recommendations i have jumped ship and gone down the Garrett route now running a GTX35, at 1 bar the GTX was roughly using 15% more fuel and packed alot more of a punch.

Just wanted to make people aware of what it was like using a HX35 with a 12cm housing on a forged 1JZ as ive only really seen HY35 graphs on here.

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

So you're saying your happy with the GTX over the Holset? What were the cost differences?

And is the 6boost a twin scroll manifold? / was the HX35 running a twin scroll turbine housing? / is the GTX running a twin scroll turbine housing as well?

4. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Such a shame to see the holset fail man. Was looking forward to seeing what they can do on a well sorted setup.
    I'm sure the GTX is a great job, but also god to see the holset could perform before its catastrophic failure

5. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Here's what I got up to with my mates 12cm twinscroll internally gated housing. After reading so many good results of holsets with big downpipes we decided to see what we could do about doing it on the more common internally gated housing.

Started off like this, with the raised part where the cover plate bolts onto with the usual oddball sized small v band.
    %5BURL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/bigdave91/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_0553_zpsahsjub8u.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Then chopped that all off to make it flat. Took an hour or so of cutting and grinding. Already had a 4" vband welded to a bit of cast for a previous idea but decided to go this way instead. Then tacked it on.
    %5BURL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/bigdave91/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_0467_zps0f1wkpfq.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Fired it in a kiln at 400 degrees for a couple of hours to preheat the cast before welding as it can crack during welding.
    %5BURL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/bigdave91/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_0468_zpsmehzxx1u.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Buzzed round it with the MIG welder because the gaps underneath couldn't be reached with a TIG. Tons of weld in the gap. Back in the kiln to cool for 12 hours. Then take it out and tidy it up and make it pretty.
    %5BURL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/bigdave91/media/Mobile Uploads/IMG_0538_zpsinqhtdzc.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Great final result! Can't wait to see how it performs. Going on a forged 1JZ with a fully divided sinco manifold.

• Like Like x 1
  6. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

Cant thank you enough for doing that for me dave, so pleased with how it turned out.

I've port matched the T3 inlet ports on the turbine housing to the sinco manifold so that should help response a bit
    The above holset is also getting rebuilt in the near future with an upgraded, slightly bigger compressor wheel with extended tips which should also help it flow more air and therefore hopefully more power!

I'll be posting results and a more detailed spec of the build in this thread when it's done!

7. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

The GTX3582 is a different ball game of turbo to be fair! It packs more of a punch than the holset, And it was forcing more air in at 1bar meaning 15% more fuel was added which obviously means more power.

It was roughly 3x the price of a Holset at £1700 but its a 750BHP capable turbo where as the holset was only rated to 600BHP. The version of GTX i have isnt a twin scroll although the holset was.

The only other benefit i can think of is that if i wanted to downgrade to a GTX3076 for a slightly fast spool the turbo is a direct replacement with no modifcations needed.I suppose the more common thing would be people moving up to the GTX35 for more power, they have just made it so you can literally just drop your new turbo in.

My 6Boost manifold is twin scroll so if i wanted to i could swap the housing but to be honest i believe id see little to no gain with my current setup. My car would of cracked 700BHP if my second fuel pump hadnt given up so at 650BHP it still has potential for more power as is and the turbo was showing no signs of tailing off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

Yeah i agree it would of been nice to see what it did as it came on strong and i dont see why it wouldnt of made 600BHP as predicted.

It was a shame for the holset as by the looks of it the rear housing loosened and the rear impeller caught the housing meaning no more play time :(

9. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

~500hp at 1bar on the HX is impressive seeing as most people seem to think they only come into their own over 1.5 bar.
    No doubt anyone one on here given the choice would fit a GTX if money wasnt an object. At least your failure resulted in an upgrade.
    I'd defo go twinscroll for faster spool over dropping to GTX30 since the manifold is already twinscroll and are proven to make a noticeable difference. Not that you're looking to change just my opinion on the faster spool option

10. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

In all fairness the engines highly modified so probably helps. The housing on the GTX looks a lot smaller than the Holset one which is probably why it spools a lot better.

Agreed either that or my other choice was a Borg Warner EFR range turbo but the Garrett was readily available by the mappers sources and it was recommended by him so seemed silly not to listen to his experience.

I cant see me downsizing its just one of the perks in my opinion the two turbos are designed to be a swap out upgrade for ease.

If anything im thinking of advancing my timing to bring the power on sooner but I haven’t even unlocked all my rev range since sorting my fuelling so I dread to think what an extra 1800revs will do to it, as it already lights the tyres up for fun in every gear

11. BenRice

I agree with Dave about swapping out the turbine housing and making use of the twinscroll manifold.

Considering how cheap rebuilds are for the Holset, and the opportunity it affords for an upgraded compressor wheel, i know that's the way i would have gone.

But how big was the Holset turbine housing vs the Garrett one? If it's a lot smaller you could actually be hurting the engine with excessive back pressure (just something to consider)

I would really love to see and overlay of the Holsets graph with the Garrett if you can wrangle them out of your dyno guy.

FYI - I'm not biased either way, i own an HKS/Garrett myself!

12. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

I dont know if the twin scroll will make any difference but the options there at some point if i choose too.

The Holset is cheap that's why i originally went with it after seeing the benefits of people using HY35's on 1JZ and pretty much getting 450/470 HP/ft lb it felt like a no brainer.

The Holset housing was a T3 twin scroll 12cm and the Garrett is a T3 single scroll 82 (whatever the differences are)

The car was remapped with the new turbo as i left it there to be sorted so theres no issues.

Unfortunately ive no graph for the Holset :(

13. speedingmofa

speedingmofa Member

Anyone know if there are any negative side effects to bearings or gaskets after sitting dry for 2 or 3 years? It's an HX40, it's been used before so there's some slight lubrication in there. Just wanted to make sure before i take it home with me :)

14. BenRice

Shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure it's primed with oil before using and it gets a nice break-in period off boost before leaning on it, say ~30min at idle so it gets warm/thinner oil through it

15. robinpipers

robinpipers Member

Anyone running holset on 1jz/2jz, I was running AN10 last year and it was pushing oil, I know that holset wants 19mm ID but all the pre-made flanges for 2jz etc. are AN12 at the biggest size in EBAY etc. ? what are you guys running? is it Possible to connect the return line to the oilpan instead or will it be to low?

16. BenRice

17. pjay

pjay Member

i bought one of those, not used it yet, just because i have a brand new hx35 with a 14cm housing and i want to use it on a 1jz.

should i just throw it away then yeah and carry on looking for a genuine non wastegated 12cm exhaust housing?

18. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

i couldnt get anything but AN10 on my holset as the fitting was too close to the front housing the core fitting holes arnt central they are more forward on the HX35 i had so i couldnt run AN12.

personally now after seeing and using them id get a metal pipe return to keep it away from the manifold, T3 return T piece style thing.

19. e_dale2000

e_dale2000 Member

I may have an aftermarket 12cm non wastegate housing lying around still if your in need. It has a hole in for an EGT temp so you would need a bung or EGT temp to fill the hole.

Ill have a check

20. Topsi

Topsi Member

So many pages, but what 400hp turbo for sr20det? He221? Hy35? Hx32 needs too much modification.