Next bunch of cheap drifters ?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Marcus_E36, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Marcus_E36

Marcus_E36 Member

So as we all know the E36 has become a Budget drifters favourite chassis, cheap, mostly reliable and skid with a few mods but what's next ?

There are probably still millions of them out there but they don't make them any more. I already see E46's becoming more popular so will it continue to "generation jump" BMW's ?

A lot of jap stuff is out of realms of affordability for many people, just interested where people think the low budget drifters will go or we will we end up with filtering out "budget" builds due to lack of available cheap RWD chassis?

I see 350Z are coming down in price, will GT86's/BRZ's and the like ever be "throw away" money ?

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Merc's seem to be growing in popularity, so do IS200's, and due to the popularity of the MX5 they will always be readily available at cheap enough prices.

But my bet is on Subaru's being the next "cheap drifter". Rally background & aftermarket popularity gives them a reasonable supply of parts. Heaps of 5x100 wheels available for spares in most areas of the world.

Only real issue with them are the lack of lock (solutions already being developed) and the rear ends being a little weak, and potentially gearboxes, but if treated with a little bit of care they will be fine

• Like Like x 1
  3. GT-ARR

GT-ARR Member

Depends of the countries you live. On UK you guys have the chance to get cars like JZX100/S15 easier than the rest of europe so this is a good point for you guys. Thats why most of Europe run e30 or e36. So the future of European drifting on my point of view from 5/8 years now... GT86. They cost know around 16000€ still a little expensive but like nowdays you cant afford a Schassis here the drift tax is a monstrosity like all of the other cars now.
    But the scene of drift on europe "dont exist" you guys on UK are the god's of europe drift. Street Legal drift cars,planty of drift days , great cars, great prices on cars... the rest of europe dont exist, sad but true.

• Like Like x 1
  4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

They're still making 3 series Beemers, MX5's and C-class Merc's.
    There's no reason they can't continue to be used.

5. Starkey

Starkey Administrator
    Staff Member

E92 335 are getting silly cheap now, bolt on lock mods are readily available and 300bhp from factory.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marcus_E36

Marcus_E36 Member

All very fair points. Interesting to see UK is considered a "top dog" in the drift world ! :) You know I completely forgot the MX5 existed despite owning one. I have noticed some very top notch stuff for various chassis becoming more and more available. Long may it continue !

7. JoelBrownie

JoelBrownie New Member

Gt86's are becoming cheaper, but the parts arent. Wisefab lock kit for one is £500+ more than one for an e46

8. Marcar

Marcar Well Spoken Man
    Staff Member

Yeah, I keep checking the prices of GT86s. I can definitely see myself getting one in a year or two as a toy! So much potential :)

9. JoelBrownie

JoelBrownie New Member

I can see myself owning one when im older. I also wonder whether the new supra could one day end up a bargain driftcar once its released and a few years old?

10. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Really?

I didn't think we were a patch on the Japanese or even the American scene.

11. Starkey

Starkey Administrator
    Staff Member

I am considering selling the S15 and getting one soon!

12. Saddened

Saddened Member

We have an Audi A4 B5 drifting here. Many of quattro Audis and 4motion VWs can be bought for cheap and transformed to RWD only. A lot of them have longitudinally mounted engines.

13. GT-ARR

GT-ARR Member

No one in europe can compete with you guys thats the fact. If you guys are "top dog" or not i dont care. For me you guys are a inspiration. Uk combines a little of Japan style with something else, i dont know what it is but everytime i see a video/blog from DriftLand Matsuri 3Sisters Dywb i feel the atmosphere of friendship/family i cant explain American Scene for me is a joke formulaD sucks so hard. The only thing i can enjoy from there is StageD everything else feel's so fake.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Marcus_E36

Marcus_E36 Member

I would love a GT86 - Still relatively new though. I assume parts will come down in price when the actual cars do too.

I forgot to add "of Europe" into my post. I do love American stuff. Team animal Style etc have some epic cars. Japan will always be top, it is where it all originated from.

I have not seen that in the UK. I wonder if it will take off ? Trouble is as previously mentioned E36/MX5/ IS200 are still filthy cheap over here.

Think it depends on the level. I have noted at events in UK everyone is ridiculously friendly and willing to help out on anything. Even if it is out of their own pocket. Some good builds in recent years too. Formula D did a lot to bring drifting to the masses but personally I like the low key events we have. Funy enough I see some polish stuff and they have some cool things going down.

15. boostitall

boostitall New Member

I know in FD trucks are not legal but here in the states a manule truck like a 92 f150 with a good v6 can be had for under 1K and lets face it, if you lower it a bit to get reed of some body roll they can slide very well

16. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

i think rx8s if ya not scared... is200 is300 gs300(very surprised no one snaps up gs300s) all very cheap at the moment but i can see them creeping up im surprised i have not seen many mk 3 supra drifting but think they are going up just because of the supra badge and engines

17. Mr Greggles

Mr Greggles Member

GS300s are all auto. They're not really viable with so many cheaper alternatives. Mk3 supras are also expensive compared with the super cheap E46s, IS200s, MX5s. Mk3 mx5s will be cheap enough soon, along with whatever the next generation of bmws were after the E46. They're both very common and won't hold their value.

18. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Jesus! Just checked the price. Thats a hell of alot of car for the money. Theres a tourer on ebay for 4800. You could probably make over 1k selling interior parts. Thats cheap. And to think i was looking at a 350z. Whats the score with parts and maintenance for those though, do you not leave 'scene tax' (i hate using those words but you know what i mean) and join the world of BMW tax anyway?

19. docwra

docwra Active Member

When a 350Z can be picked up for near as dammit £3K, why are people waiting for a car with 100hp less and half the torque to come down in price?

Parts on a 350Z are no worse than anything else in my experience and they are bloody good cars straight out of the box, add diff, dampers and lock and youve got a car with serious potential.

20. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member