Not so N/A S13 anymore...

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Bu11et, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Threadmark: Interior Improvements...
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Little update...

Finally got radio all wired up and working properly(unlike the first time, which popped the rear lights fuse everytime you had the lights and radio on at the same time) - Got a fresh new kenwood headunit and another pair of speakers fitted behind the drivers and passenger seats...
    Kenwood Headunit.
    Speakers.JPG

Also borrowed a 3" TRS Harness off my mate Nev for STL
    Bucket Seat.JPG

And eventually, got my Nismo pedals fitted, I know this is a bit chavvy, but I've always liked the style of them and just think they modernise the cockpit a bit more that's all, personal preference an all!
    Pedals.JPG

Ali kept this little beauty to himself until the other day when he posted it on STL's Instagram...

STL Pic 2.

#61 Bu11et, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Only just seen this

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate the nice comments mannn!!! Think I just need to space the rears out a bit and roll the arches

3. Gooly

Gooly Member

Only just noticed that, yeah that would finish it off well! also my S14 had the same stereo issue!! how did you fix it? I just took the stereo out haha but would quite like to re-fit it, S14s run the taillights / dash lights / sidelights on the same fuse and every time you had the stereo on it would pop it

4. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

there was a few wires that were left open to the elements behind the radio that I didn't notice before, so when I replaced the head unit, I tidied it all up and taped up any open ended wires etc - seems to have fixed it! Must have been shorting on something...

5. Threadmark: Pre-STL Fixes/Little niggles
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Pre-STL Update(2 days till take off)!

Pretty boring stuff on this one, but none the less an update...

Recently I've been thinking that it's been pretty shit on fuel! and I've been smelling it quite strong when driving around, and I was guessing around 40 miles to a tenner, which is pretty shit really considering its N/A?!

So I put a thread up in the Technical section here and a few people suggested coolant temp sensor, ordered one from Conceptua and it arrived in time for me to fit in on my break at work on nights - Me and Nev cracked on and got it replaced(Its a right ball ache to get to though!!). This is the old sensor that came out, sort of looks like a factory one and was absolutely caked in dirt!
    Coolant Temp Sensor.

We had to trim the cap of the new sensor as there was little tabs which meant it wouldn't fit. We also had a pre-fitting buy - Ben & Jerry's! We took it in turns swapping between fitting the sensor and eating, and eventually it was done.
    Water Temp Sensor Fixing.

Saturday, I went over to Owen's to finish off my custom intake pipe(It is looking very snazzy btw ;) as you'll see below) - I took this route, brimming the tank before I went, and brimming it again when I got back - for the whole drive there and back, the S13 used 6.08l(1.337gallons) of fuel - and the journey itself was 54 miles - which means that the 13 averaged 40.3mpg on the way there and back, which I'm super happy with! So hoping that the temp sensor has fixed the fuelling issue!
    Owens run.

Whilst I was at Owen's I got a few pics of the intake pipe in progress, I absolutely love the raw look of the stainless steel and the welds and how they've discoloured the metal! Tempted to get it powder coated clear just to preserve the look - Here are some pics in progress
    Intake pipe.JPG Owen Grinding.JPG Welded Intake 1.JPG Intake Bracket.JPG

Here is the final pic of the end product that Owen finished up after I'd left...
    Finished intake.JPG

Cant wait to pick this up tonight and get it fitted! Hoping it also makes some cool noises being single piece :D

Back at work again(night's all weekend) - it gives me time to do stuff on the car since I get a 2 hour break, so Saturday night consisted of me doing oil changes, Engine and Diff... Engine was straight forward as ever...
    Engine Oil change.JPG

Diff was a little more painful, the gap to get to the filler hole is horrendous so had to use a little adapter to get it out which worked well, and I picked up a Sealey pump off eBay a couple of weeks ago, this came in mega handy and made filling the diff up again rather easy, although being a manual pump, pumping 1.8L of thick gear oil into the diff took its toll on my arm but eventually got it done and all back together.
    Diff Oil Change.JPG

Nev is a bit of a pic whore - He loves taking pics, so couldn't help take a few of our cars in works multi story car park(Our Night's garage) - He's got a cool little Mk1 Mx5
    Multi Story Car Park.JPG
    Fresh oil on long journeys such as Drift land(270 miles each way) is always a confidence booster!

Since I got the car up and running and on the road etc, the only part of my cluster that has worked is my Fuel gauge, which I was getting a bit fed up of...so I called out to Norfy(Wiring Guru, if you don't know him, then you must revise ASAP) - He told me which wires need to connect to each other from the S14 loom to the S13 dash loom to get the rev counter and temp gauge to work, got them connected up, he also advised that I needed a 10k resistor fitted to make the rev counter work - Fitted this by literally unscrewing 2 screws on the back of the cluster and wrapping it round each one of them as pictured below...
    Resistor.

Did this and I now have a working rev counter! Woohoo!
    Rev counter working.JPG

The temp gauge doesn't work unfortunately but I'm going to replace the single pin temp sensor in the coolant housing and see if that fixes the issue which it will hopefully! Then I'll have a working cluster :D

My speedo will never work since I'm running the S15 6 Speed Box(the sensor is in the diff on an S15) - but my trusty old sat nav works for that!

All in all a good few days on the car, big shout out to Nev for the help throughout, and Norfy for the wiring info about cluster!

#65 Bu11et, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  6. Threadmark: STL 2017 @ Driftland
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

STL - Over and out!

Absolutely loved it! Even the drive up there and back was rather enjoyable to say it was in a rusty old 90's Datsun!!

A few small tasks followed on from my night shift antics... I managed to order a coolant temp sensor for my dash gauge, got it fitted and also re-wired the plug so its nice and fresh, as you can tell from the picture, it looked a bit grotty! Temp gauge didn't really move after swapping the sensor so I instantly thought thermostat, luckily I ordered one last week with my coolant temp sensor but didn't have time to fit it.
    Coolant Temp Gauge Sensor.JPG

Also finally got my new custom intake pipe fitted(courtesy of DirtyDog Fabrications)! I love it, and gives a bit louder induction noise, aswell as stable idle etc which I haven't had before due to my previously dodgy pipe haha
    Fresh Intake.JPG

We also fitted the STL Windscreen banner that I picked up a while ago, and had sitting in my glovebox for when I got a new windscreen(which never happened)
    FB_IMG_1501319949311.

After this it was just a case of preparing for STL, loading the car and being on the way! Luckily I didn't have to load much due to my mum coming up in her camper the following day, so all my tyres I put in her camper to bring up so they didn't take up all the space in the 13 - was also time to fill up ;)
    _20170801_054003.JPG

We headed up to the north Wednesday lunch time, and got up to our hotel(Posh ey? Nope, was only a Travelodge) for around 4:30ish... I was absolutely shattered, foolishly I had taken a hayfever tablet that morning, that is also a sleeping tablet, so that made the drive up less enjoyable!

Thursday morning arrived, and me being the eager beaver I am, I wanted to get to the track ASAP! So we were there for 9am(Travelodge was only 10 minutes down the road, and bearing in mind that drifting didn't start until 11am either...). Got there and found my mum and found a decent pit space down near the track itself, and then Mr Brace turned up in his ridiculously low S14, absolutely love this car, simple and styled, very well pulled off! FB_IMG_1501562479994.

Then we went out on track and had a ball! Seat time was immense, constant and never really any big queues! And the first layout of the day was extremely fun, especially entering with no handbrake and lots of snap angle, felt really good and because my car is low powered it means I can keep the power down 95% of the way round and super fast transitions...
    STL V9. FB_IMG_1501412509024.
    Heres some onboard from this layout - not great but im getting there :)

Then in the afternoon it was the full outer layout which was top of 3rd gear clutch kick entries and pinned throttle right round to the pit exit and then drop to 2nd for a tight right hander and then back upto 3rd to link into the back S's - really fun and fast layout!!
    FB_IMG_1501565592831. FB_IMG_1501565585875.
    Again - heres some onboard from this layout - Shame my gopro was full as later in the day I had some real fun and lots of front lockups....

That's all for now...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Threadmark: STL 2017 Pics
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Few more pics that I've come across on the tinternet...
    FB_IMG_1501412521250. FB_IMG_1501415637426. FB_IMG_1501562516186. FB_IMG_1501562525632.

This picture, I didn't even know my bumper flexed this much!! I had no idea this even happened until the photographer came and told me in the pits after! Even then I just expected it to be a bit dragging on the ground or somet...
    FB_IMG_1501562522637.

8. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

This must have been around quarter past 4: that's me in the box behind you, on the phone :p
    Not the best place to take a phone call!

I shall share my pics once I'm done editing :)

9. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Haha brilliant! Ye we had no idea the bumper was like that!! Apparently all photographers were pulling an ouch face haha

Ye man, add me on Facebook if you want, Charlie Hulme

10. Threadmark: STL 2017 - Daze's Pics
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Daze @ DZEPhotography is an absolute legend!!

This is just 2 of the 20+ he got of me from STL - Sorry im posting so many photos, but these are the best!

Appears the little SR20DE does make some smoke...
    Daze.

Getting lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Daze 2.

11. Jeffy sr20

Jeffy sr20 New Member

How do you find the 6spd box man? I've a 350z box I was going to fit to my 15 simply cause I feel that paired with a 4.3 would be ideal for a DE, but obviously an s15 box is a much cheaper setup, be handy to go with one of those if I thought it could take the abuse ?

12. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Love it, 2nd and 3rd are closer, if you watch my onboards of the full outer track @ Driftland further up the page, you can see that upshift from 2nd to 3rd and it doesn't really bog that much, and im running a 3:9 diff at the mo so 4:3 would be no problem!

treat em with love and they'll be right!

13. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

S15 6 speed will take the abuse from a DE

They're a lot stronger than people think, just not happy when people decide to do 3rd gear limiter dumps at 10mph in a straight line

14. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Definitely! Mines got another year or so atleast, then I may put a stockish DET in this and maybe compete

15. Threadmark: Racing Sim Build
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Update - but not about the S13...

I've had a G29 for a while, but since we moved into the new house over 2 months ago, it has just been boxed up in the spare room upstairs, then last Thursday night whilst me and the missus were watching Game of Thrones, I randomly thought about borrowing one of the small Ikea side tables we have in our living room, I put it on the floor and sat against the sofa with the table over my legs and thought "Ye, this could work..."

A normal Friday morning was changed when on the way back from Maccies for breakfast, I stopped by B&Q - picked up 2 sheets of MDF and headed home, stole an Ikea side-table from the living room and removed one of the top support bars, and then got to measuring the MDF, first off created a base plate to mount the table to and also mount the pedals to:
    FB_IMG_1502398692091.

Got that made and then mounted the pedals after removing them from their original plastic casing, I then mounted the steering wheel and then had to make a bracket for the gear stick that was remotely similar to the S13, so I went outside and measured the distance from the steering wheel to the gearstick, then came back and replicated it - I dont have any pics of this in process as I just wanted to get it made and try it!

Since making it, i've also inverted the pedals so they are similar to how a real car is, rather than mounted to the floor. I still need to pickup a joystick or something to setup as a handbrake(suggestions welcome if anybody can think of something?), but I am currently enjoying no handbrake as it makes me focus more on getting my line correct than extending with the handbrake :smokin:. Its nothing fancy and I'd love to get some real wood and make it properly but this was just thrown together so I can get some use out of the wheel!
    _20170810_214533.JPG _20170810_214549.JPG _20170810_214621.JPG _20170810_214606.JPG

Although I've only got a crappy laptop, it feels good to be back using it, atleast it sort of relieves the drift hangover until I can next get back out!(Not sure when that will be this year)

P.S Yes the pink doll's house is another of my favourite pass times... :euge:

16. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

The steering wheel setup looks awesome for your laptop! I have a G27, had one for years and I'm not sure how it's still going tbh haha. What games do you play with it? Do you have Assetto Corsa? :)

17. Rs Adz

Rs Adz New Member

loving this build and the dirt stimulator looks well keep up.the good work

18. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Ive had a G25/27 and now the 29, I think the G25 is the best, but just so noisy!!

I've made some little improvements and it works a treat so hopefully I've got it sort of finalised now!

Games wise: Live for Speed at the mo, I do want to try Assetto Corsa! Just think it'll be a right pain to setup, bit like r factor

Dirt stimulator? Guess you mean simulator haha - cheers dude!

19. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Looks like you have enough of a lip on the back, add in a Logitech (or similar) set of PC speakers with a subwoofer and turn it up to compensate ;)

20. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Lol my G29 is sorted and works fine haha

• Like Like x 1