Strongest output shafts for e46

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by squid, Apr 4, 2016.

1. squid

squid Member

Hi there! Long story short, yesterdays drift day ended by broken output shaft.
    Does anybody got info about strongest available shafts for e46?
    I heard in case with e36 shaft from 325 is stronger than 328 and 323 because 325 got solid shaft but others got hallow.
    My 328 e46 got hallow shaft, so does anyone got information about possible upgrade!?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I can't help you much, but I can tell you 330i output shafts are also hollow, despite being a different drive shaft fitment to the others, as I have the remains of the one I smashed sitting next to me right now.

3. J4CK

J4CK Member

only real upgrade on 46 is the M3 rear end.

4. squid

squid Member

Thanks for replays!
    I thought it could be solution, but apparently not.

m3 rear end cost as much as my car, if not more :D
    also m3 got same 38mm shaft diameter, only thing it could be solid.

ill buy another one an will pray. Also i'm a bit disappointing about reliability of bmw.

5. J4CK

J4CK Member

If all your braking is shafts, check the rear bushes. How much camber you running?. Both kill shafts

I had a polybushed rear end and 0' of rear camber on my old e36 touring, runnnig 318 shafts never broke one after 8-10 lydden hill days.

6. squid

squid Member

Got ~0' camber. Polybushes on subframe and diff, but rest bushing is old wobbly rubber. Probabully its time to rebuild suspensions.

7. J4CK

J4CK Member

Polybush the RTA arms,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

I swapped 320D half shafts in to mine, they're solid and didn't break for as long as I owned the car

9. squid

squid Member

320D (automatic) half shaft is same (literally, same part number), as my 328 half shafts. Apparently problem is not in half shaft itself. :D
    After suspension check, i found my trailing arm bushes are totally destroyed, so that could be a problem. Thanks for replays.

10. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Sounds like you've solved the problem, but just so you know they are physically different, the 328 ones are wider but hollow, whereas the 320d shafts are narrower but solid. I took 328 shafts off my old BMW and replaced them with 320d shafts soooo...

11. squid

squid Member

320D automatic saloon got IDENTICAL shaft, 38mm diameter, same part number, i got one currently on my car now. But my shaft actually broke in the end of shaft, so if you say its solid, ill try one of them if i will broke another one. But hopefully everything will be alright! :D

12. squid

squid Member

Not really:

[​IMG]
    There is no cheap solution for this.
    This is for other side.It brakes in same place, outer joint stop ring groove.
    I talk with one bloke who said its normal for e46 to brake shafts only real solution is some carbon fiber axles which cost unreal money.

This post is for peoples like me, who will get same problems, and will use search option on this forum.
    Buy bunch of axles and store in garage, as these is one of "consumable" things for E46.

Most ridiculous thing - both axles was broken on street, in hard pulls, not on track. :D

Have nice day!

13. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Could be worse mind you, half shafts are a 30 minute job tops! Imagine owning an mx5 and dealing with all the chocolate engine nonsense.

14. Bozu

Bozu Member

Put less grippy tires on might be a cheaper option? Drifting is more fun anyway than hard pulls ;-)

15. Zby

Zby New Member

I'm driving 330i and constantly snapping shafts in same place, next to dif or wheel. Was thinking about swapping for 325 shaft, maby it will last longer, plus it's cheaper.

20170927_005754.

16. Funkyflynz

Funkyflynz New Member

How have the 325 shafts being going?

17. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

I have never snapped one of my OEM 330 shafts, and run 225's on stupid low PSI. It is probably a different issue that is causing more stress on the shaft, rather than having weak shafts...

18. Straightclown

Straightclown New Member

Did you ever find out the problem why the 330i driveshafts keep snapping as I'm having the same problem with mine