Quiet skid practice locations

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by KillboSlaggins, Nov 6, 2017.

1. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

Did you ever get any further regarding Goodwood killbo? We’ve been trying to hire the skid pad and they’ve asked us to provide insurance and we cannot find a company to cover us for it.

2. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

Me and a mate are going up in a couple of weeks to try out the skid pan for free, sort of a trial to see if it's going to be any good for what we want. After that we'll decide what we want to do I guess, but to be honest I hadn't really looked into the group liability insurance as I didn't imagine it being difficult.

Knowing this I'll start looking into sorting the insurance, cheers

3. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

We’ve got a small group of mates not all of whom drift but want to have a play in their rwd cars without having too many people watching, so I contacted Goodwood and they’ve asked us to provide PLI and a risk assessment to use the skid pad, originally I was told that if we hire an instructor for the day £190+vat that we would have been covered however after confirmation this is not the case and would have to hire their vehicles too which was £1600+vat for half a day so definite no to that. Finding a company to even consider covering it has been a massive pain all the companies who do car club cover haven’t been very helpful either

4. KillboSlaggins

- - - Update - - -

Goodwood skid pan test was supposed to be today. This was a free trial with me and a mate to see if it's going to be worth going forward with trying an event. I provided a risk assessment but we were not expecting having to organize public liability insurance for a quick test. Unfortunately I had to find a policy.

The good news is I found a great company specializing in unique scenarios such as this (a unofficial event). I spoke to a really helpful lady who provided a quote to cover me and a friend up to £5,000,000 for public liability. The cost was £182 for the day which we thought was superb considering the short notice and unusual circumstance.

Now although the insurance is cheap, £300 an hour on a small patch of wet tarmac consisting of one corner is just too much. Especially when official drifting events are around £150 for the day with everything included besides fuel and tyres. I think we're going to give Goodwood a miss on the skid pan. I will continue to push for use of the actual track there but I feel this will not be allowed.

So, I have a risk assessment prepared and public liability insurance policy up to £5m ready for use which is affordable so if anyone at all has a location to suggest please advise.

I know this has not gone to plan but I'm just trying to be realistic!

Cheers

#64 KillboSlaggins, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. driftinacossie

As per our conversation have you tried Thorney Island?

Also maybe consider Ford airfield (near littlehampton about 20 mins from Goodwood) as IIRC they used to do "track events" there...

6. KillboSlaggins

Thorney Island airstrip is still owned by the MOD which I had called, they struggled to find me the correct respondent for that area but I'll try again. I do remember the first chap I spoke to saying the event previously held there was not going to happen again due to safety breach?! But from what i've seen and heard it was a huge success so this would be ideal.

Ford airfield is close by as you said but I can't find who owns the right to the majority of the airfield. As far as I can see it's shared between businesses which I have approached before but I had no replies. If I can find out who actually owns the rights to the airfield I shall contact them. Cheers though

7. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

I'm pretty sure information of land ownership is available to the general public... Have you tried HMLR?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

There's also a few third party companies that can provide that kindo info, I'd imagine they'll charge you a few quid though...

https://www.landregistrysearches.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuKXsfmY2QIVT7vtCh0iigqzEAAYASAAEgJmbPD_BwE

8. KillboSlaggins

That's super handy, thankyou.

- - - Another update - - -

Went to goodwood with my friend and we were allowed to test the skid pan for free anyway without any insurance ect to keep us interested? We both went out in my friends' s13 and I have to say it was really fun. It's super slippery so you can't get much speed up but this kind of thing is great for car control and confindence building. The chap we met again was super nice and very keen to bring some drifting to goodwood permanently although the skid pan I think will soon get boring.

Anyway he halved his prices which was very interesting. £300 for 2 hours. This is still expensive I know, but this is private hire for the skid pan and split between 5 people this isn't insane amounts of money. I understand a drift event isn't much more and you get more track space, however 2 hours at goodwood shared between 5 guys is great seat time. Plus the pan being wet saves tyres. So I think we're going to go ahead in a month or so with 5 of us and see how it goes. I'll put some gopro footage up for those that are interested to give you an idea of what we have.

ALSO, i tried getting into contact with Thorney Island again and a chap from a charity organisation who host events on airfields in the UK gave me a call. Bascially he has access to thousands of locations and asked me which ones I was interested in. He said he's going to contact the local airfields and put forward my proposal and hopefully find a suitable airfield for us. No idea how this will go but he seemed really keen and interested with access to loads of places so this might turn into something.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  9. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

We were quoted £1100+vat to rent the skid pan for the day

10. KillboSlaggins

Okay?

11. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

thought maybe if you went back to them with that info and had a rough number you had in mind you could work out cost per person to be much cheaper

12. KillboSlaggins

Oh I see, we’re only after a couple hours practise now again there I think bud. £60 each between 5 people for 2 hours practise is affordable bearing in mind it’s only over the road so much less fuel. It’s not a drift event or anything but it’s better than nothing!

Thanks man

• Like Like x 1
  13. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

No worries just trying to help

• Like Like x 1
  14. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

I think you have mentioned somewhere... But what sorta size is the skid pan there?

Big enough to get some figure 8's going?

15. KillboSlaggins

dscf4389-300x225.

Only decent image I can find (not mine). Area is pretty small as you can see but you could probably squeeze a tight figure 8 in there

What do you think?

#75 KillboSlaggins, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  16. lewby

lewby Member

would be so good to have somewhere to practice in the south. there are a few go kart tracks in Hampshire that would be great but I'm not sure they'd be up for letting people in cars slide around.

17. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

they do drifting at ringwood if you didn't know

18. KillboSlaggins

Forgot about this thread!

Gave up with goodwood in the end, not enough space and too expensive for what it is. Will continue to look for potential areas but i'm getting used to the 3 hour journeys to Rockingham, not too bad

Hopefully one day something down south will happen (besides matchams, I'm not negotiating their potholes)

#78 KillboSlaggins, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  19. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

Did you ever hear back from the guy who was looking into the airfields?

20. KillboSlaggins

No he was sort of helpful but not willing to get in contact with the owners. Basically said here are some airfields good luck, not knowing who to call