The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Andysavyd

Andysavyd Member

IMG_2409.JPG I'm just gonna hoe my sti out here if you don't mind

257 with a hy35 strapped to her. T3 adaptor with a tial ewg. Almost done!

• Like Like x 1
  2. shabby.fx

shabby.fx Member

i do want to see results for this one

3. Wrxbeano

Wrxbeano New Member

4. Arewethereyet

Arewethereyet New Member

Morning all. I’ve got a’97 940 Turbo Wagon. Currently the 2.3 4 pot engine is out for a rebuild. I’ve acquired an 11cm hx52 and 16v head, but has anyone got experience of this combo?
    It’s going forged and micro/mega squirt with 4” turbo back exhaust.
    Spool time is currently my biggest concern?

5. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Good twin scroll manifold with the flange port mayched to the turbo and your big exhaust system will help spool but it's still a big turbo to be putting on a 2.3. There's a guy on the JzMafia page that has one in his 2.5 1J which is about as close as I've seen to your setup. It's not tuned yet tho :(
    I reckon it'll be awesome tho!

6. Arewethereyet

Arewethereyet New Member

Agreed, it’s a big turbo but only has an 11cm twin scroll hotside so should spool reasonably I’m guesstimating with decent manifold and system.

7. Andysavyd

Andysavyd Member

IMG_3665.JPG Got the hy bolted down and started to button up the sti! IMG_3666.JPG

8. Andrew1985

Andrew1985 Member

Iv just brought a hx52 with 13cm exhaust housing can’t wait to get it on

9. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Awesome dude, brave turbo choice in the U.K.! Saw your posts on Instagram and sent them to my mate who runs a holset saying it will be good to see how you get on!

10. Andrew1985

Andrew1985 Member

Nice one mate I’m going to see what power I can pull out

11. jonnydiscopants

jonnydiscopants Me lovr you looong time

If anyone is in the market for a t3 14cm turbine housing for a Hx40, whih is rare, then i have one thats been shaved down, welded up for external gate witha 3inch v-band welded in ready to go. I was going to keep it incase the 19cm i have on would be too slow buy from what ive read/seen it’ll be about spot on for what i need.....

CD105D47-E248-414C-8578-F524D748D493.

D946305D-AA5A-4537-973E-995535C745CE.

12. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

I’m doing a VR6 turbo build (2.8 24v) and am having a bit of a mental battle around this kindo thing…

I’m eying up a HX50 with 17cm twin scroll hot side, and was going to invest in a decent twin scroll mani for spool, and built head to make use of the top end the HX can deliver…

I’m wondering whether it’s a false economy to skimp on the turbo and splash out elsewhere though. . . Considering the alternative would be to splash out on a proper turbo (gtx or similar), which would be three times the cost, but would probably get similar results at a lower rev range using a cheap cast mani (saving me a grand) and meaning I wouldn't have to build the head (maintaining a 7.2k rev limit and saving me another grand).

On the other hand I do like the idea of a revvy big boost engine! . . What’s peoples thoughts here?

#1532 VAG-Slag, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. thebe

thebe Member

Whats your power goal and where do you use your car? is that cheap cast mani a twin scroll or some random chinaspec open scroll?

I went with he351 (hx40) 12cm rear and have full boost at 3,5k. Over 1bar at 3k. With a boost leak :D hx50 sounds quite large for 2.8.

I think a proper twin scroll manifold + holset is better than a "better" turbo + crappy manifold. For spool, power, boost controll etc.

14. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

As above, how much power are you wanting to run? Garrett equivelent to a HX50 is a GTX42! Would you run that size of Garrett on the car and expect it to spool well?

McFarlo on here has a soarer with a 3.0 1.5JZ.
    272 cams
    Twinscroll sinco manifold
    4" full system

Has a 12cm hx35/40 with a billet wheel and is doing 630hp@1.7 bar, 530@1.2.

I know another guy with a chaser.
    2.5l 1JZ,
    6boost manifold
    GTX3576 .82 exhaust housing,
    No cams,
    3" downpipe
    This car is low to mid 400s at 1.2 bar.
    Sum of the chasers main parts is more than the soarer.

15. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Took this off a very good turbo article

"Unless you're using a horribly specced mismatch of a turbo, or some ancient piece of shit, both of which are very rare these days in all honesty, turbos of a similar size/spec all spool similarly enough or any given size to make a very good guess on how it will work."

16. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Thanks for your input gents...

I'm aiming for at least 700hp... And the car (not actually got the car yet!), what ever it may be, will probably just be used for chasing down superbikes on the weekends and the occasional track day. Realistically though it will spend most of it's time in a garage!

The cast mani's I was considering are indeed Chinese open scroll jobbies... And to be honest they look terrible, probably worth the extra grand just for the aesthetics of a decent tubular!

Additionally to the above I'll be going 4" DP which should also help spool, and probably some sort of cams... Thebe, what car/engine are you running your he351 on?

Even if I don't fully build the head and just used uprated valve springs, I should be good for an 8k rev limit. With the above set up, even if I don't see full spool until 4k, I guess that's 4k of usable rev range... Do you think that's a realistic way of looking at it?

17. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

700hp goal is gonna be a big turbo regardless of the brand. If you were seeing full boost at 4000rpm I think you'd be laughing because it would be mental!

Cast manifolds generally don't hurt spool too badly but they will restrict top end more. Super reliable tho. A log manifold would be something in between the 2 types you could look in to.

I think Thebe runs a skyline with a 3 litre rb25/30. A great setup too even with a budget manifold but it has all the other right bits. There are pics of it in this thread somewhere.

If the car is getting used very occasionally I'd look into running racefuel. Will allow you to get the power figure you want with a smaller more responsive turbo and it will be a while before it's costing more than a posh turbo

18. thebe

thebe Member

Dave is right. R33 with rb25/30, Sinco twin scroll manifold, turbosmart progate etc

19. artomitive

artomitive Member

the ideal housing for a ca18det should be something around 8cm isnt it?
    speaking about a hx32 or something.

20. artomitive

artomitive Member

the ideal housing for a ca18det should be something around 8cm isnt it?
    speaking about a hx32 or something.