Balling on a budget jag

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by woods1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Really appreciate the love man.

Yea im not easily offended but that's basically always the case isn't it, people take the scene far too seriously, what happend to keep drifting fun?

Exactly same opinion on HSD's, I'm sure they are very good and competitively priced, however they are still a fair wack of money to me, so we will see how we get on with what Im getting. I'm not entering the BDC, but 3rd gear entry's on cut springs that don't seem to react the same each run isn't good, so next week should be a big improvement all going well :)

IMG_20180420_105145_793_zps0g4jmw6c.

• Like Like x 3
  2. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Project suspension -

Well, I 100% expected a disaster and it to not work out, ride terrible etc. But no, incredibly if you use maths, autocad, your brain and research things actually work out

Bought some cheap coilovers because I don't think wank to fork out touching a grand for something that might not work

DSC_0179_zps6t4eflge.

Swapped the springs and top mounts over from the from shock to the rear because I wanted the shorter shock on the rear, made some autocad templates
    DSC_0185_zpsbg80jksh.

DSC_0188_zpswt5i4fxb.

Used these to centre pop the holes, drilled them, had to grind down the bottom bush on front coilover to fit in lower arm, had to drill rear out from 12 to 14 to accept the rear m14 bolt along with washers to make it the right width.

And boom, actually fitted perfectly
    DSC_0187_zpsu8frc8ua.

Took it for a test drive and its like a different car. The cut springs were ridiculously stiff and I now have actual suspension not just on the bump stops. Over the moon with how it drives now, and best of all I only paid 200 quid for the coilovers lol.

As said I bought these to test the theory that it would work, if these aren't good enough down the line I know that I can make a decent set of coilovers work and that the body is not drilled to suit the is200 bolt pattern
    DSC_0186_zpsfidsauhx.
    DSC_0189_zpsphx3xskb.

Very happy now, roll on nurburgring in 3 weeks :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

So good dude

Reckon you'll run into rubbing issues with it being sprung a bit softer?

• Like Like x 1
  4. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Rear is rubbing a touch when you go over a big bump or dive Into a corner hard, il just raise the back 5mm, maybe roll the arches a touch more and it will be fine :)

I'm still letting the suspension settle, il drive it as it is for a few days and then adjust when I'm happy it's not going any lower lol

5. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So not really done much to the jag as all is well so far, the mot however highlighted I needed to sort front left ball joint out, so bit of faffing later and pressed in a new one.
    IMG-20180508-WA0002_zpsnyfnfwp3.

That was the last thing I needed to sort before my road trip with mates to Germany. Was an amazing weekend, went to spa to see the spa classic which was insane and full of serious stuff

DSC_0307_zpsvfpzdktk.
    DSC_0304_zpsl9nsfzhm.
    DSC_0306_zpseyndqogp.

And on the Sunday went to watch drift cup at the nurburgring which was madness and some really good cars on track

DSC_0331_zpsakdmhfd5.
    DSC_0340_zpstenoocm9.

DSC_0338_zpszxpcotys.

And did the obligatory nurburgring shot with the lads

DSC_0352_zpscfbmgskv.

Jag did great on the track too, coilovers felt so much of an improvement, this pic on the carousel even has some tire smoke from the rear right rubbing so much haha

IMG-20180518-WA0002_zpsmtupert3.

Rasied the rear after that lap and was fine after that

received_1977483145619431_zpslimtornp.

IMG-20180518-WA0003_zpsa9jvgm8d.

Mental Long weekend and didn't have one problem with the jag after all the drift days, running a welded diff all the way to Germany and back and zero issues with the car at the nurburgring. Can't believe how well the car has done and because the ring is full the brim with M3's and porches, its mad how much attention my jag got and people stopping to ask questions and tell me how much they liked it because its just so different and a very rare sight I suppose haha. Need to get another skid day booked soon, jag needs to visit driftland soon!

• Like Like x 3
  6. revlimit

revlimit Media Click Yo!

Jag is looking good, do you get much rubbing from the wheels in the arches ?
    Think I saw a video of your car on a roundabout over in Germany ;) Car sounds nice under load.

7. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Can't believe this thread has reached 10k views haha. Never in my life did I think I'd have a jag drift car, but it's been a blast so far.

Been keeping my eyes open for a new engine, the jag needs some bhp. Top of the list is a ls1 and t56, probably use the car for this year and see how things pan out next year :)

So here is another pic trying to fend off my mate in his m3 on the ring
    20180604_183659_zps4rvwxkrt.

8. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

50hp shot of nitrous

Keep the ridiculous theme going lol

• Like Like x 2
  9. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Nitrous is cool but there are hardly any places that fill nos bottles up in the northwest of England and bottle fills aren't cheap either.

It makes me so sad that jaguar sell an s type r with a 4.2 supercharged v8 with easy 400 bhp that you can buy for about 4k but there are zero manual gearbox options or any information online about any kits :(

10. revlimit

revlimit Media Click Yo!

If your interested in a Manual swap for the V8 try getting in contact with Swallows jaguar, I believe they are working on a kit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. woods1

woods1 Active Member

ahh ive never heard of these guys and just had a look on their website now and quite a few good bits for sale.

where or who did you hear this abou the manual conversion? might pop them an email over qand ask

12. revlimit

revlimit Media Click Yo!

Asked about it myself as I was looking to get a V8 on the cheap, I just sent them a message asking if it was possible through messenger.
    well worth giving them a shout if your serious about it.

13. lowanslow

lowanslow Member

this thing is cool af man. very different

14. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So weirdly the jag is being very normal and everything at the moment is fine. No bangs knocks or issues, so I've just been enjoying having a summer hoon in it (and maybe a few sandy beach drifts).

IMG_20180702_120836_786_zpsw898iuiu.

15. antz

antz Active Member

If anything happens to my E36 I swear I'm going to get one of these and do roughly the same to it. It just looks awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  16. woods1

woods1 Active Member

If these start popping up at drift days more often I'm selling mine and getting something else hahaha.

17. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So just been doing the odd bit to the jag and enjoying it in the summer.

Went to a VW meet in it to annoy people and get some love

DSC_0446_zps18nydcyv.

FB_IMG_1532043580477_zpsn5hk0bkk.

Also wanted since I got the car to get rid of the horrendous steering wheel, it was discusting and very worn. As you can imagine they don't sell boss kits for jaguar s types because nobody in the world has probably ever wanted a omp steering wheel on theirs, but because I'm a top engineer I made one fit!

Made autocad drilling template

IMG-20180802-WA0002_zpshuwc10td.

Cut out the original steering wheel till just the splines were left with my temeple for the holes

DSC_0452_zpsgcodlilq.

Got some nice bolts and a spacer for a ebay omp steering wheel

IMG-20180804-WA0001_zpss1gmrgrs.

And boom!

DSC_0453_zpsmh6ijclq.

Sweet steering wheel, fits perfectly, very safe and retained the factory indicator shut off ring :)

The jag still needs big stupid power. More on that hopefully in the near future.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Dave comber

Dave comber New Member

Did you manage to get the steering angle increased as I’m looking to do my s type

19. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Not really possible unless you do something drastic.

Hubs are cast ali and weird design so you cant run cut knuckles, and tie rod as ive already posted up here is already on the minimum thread engagement, so you can just add a spacer.

20. Dave comber

Dave comber New Member

I think I understand,any pictures to help me
    Cheers

• Funny Funny x 1