Some hanging AE86...

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by mj86, Oct 27, 2016.

1. The_smithy

The_smithy New Member

Saw your car in person round Christmas time it looked good was in my black compact and with my mate in his blue 36 coupe the one smoking it’s head off

2. mj86

mj86 Member

Was this at a track? Or just out and about man?

3. mj86

mj86 Member

So no real progress as of yet. Box is out and with Fourways Engineering. Started the strip down and rebuild and got a phone call saying that the bearing on the input had melted itself to the shaft and i needed to source a new shaft.

2 hours later after messaging what felt like the whole of ireland id sourced a new shaft. Got it sent to me and dropped it to Fourways.

I then got a message from a guy there explaining that a gear on the layshaft had basically crumbled. I managed to source a new complete layshaft with gears from my good pals in ireland and that should be here any day now.

So maybe, by next weekend ill be able to refit a box, i very much hope so anyway!

4. The_smithy

The_smithy New Member

It was down near sheerness just before you go over the bridge if you get what I mean

5. mj86

mj86 Member

Ahhhhh streeto?

6. mj86

mj86 Member

So as im still awaiting parts to get my box rebuilt i thought id utilise the down time and get some jobs done that ive been putting off.

First up i got 4 new injector plugs a couple months back as the old ones had cracked and id lost the metal clips. So cut the old ones off and soldered the new ones on, so hopefully that'll solve a slight misfire i had.

I also managed to get hold of a new old stock clutch slave cylinder. Mine was ancient and had a slight leak, so switched them over ready for the new box.

20180609_155834.

I also did something ive wanted to do for a while. When i was building the car i got hold of another pair of cam covers to do the twin oil filler mod. So today i painted it and whacked it on.

20180609_164654.

So there she is again. Sitting waiting for its box, but its fully ready now. Im excited.

7. mj86

mj86 Member

Its here, hopefully the last part i need for the box! Im working away this week but luckily my partner has picked it up and will drop it off to Fourways for me so hopefully ill go home to a fresh box waiting for me!

8. lowanslow

lowanslow Member

awesome thread man. love the effort put into the car:thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  9. The_smithy

The_smithy New Member

Yer

10. mj86

mj86 Member

Nothing like having videos of yourself being put up by people you dont know.

11. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Yay. Incriminating evidence ^_^

• Like Like x 1
  12. mj86

mj86 Member

Literally my favourite thing in the world!

If you're gonna video, keep it to yourself ffs

13. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

This 86 is so sick. Personally think they look best when they're a little rough around the edges, shows someones getting the use out of them!

• Like Like x 1
  14. mj86

mj86 Member

So...7 weeks later its back. Fourways Engineering mega sorted me out and we got it done. One freshly built T50 box.

Not wanting to wait about, i picked it up, went home, got under the car and chucked it in, couple hours later it was on the floor and driving again. Chuffed.

20180621_192438.

The car has never felt so good. Box is super tight, and the other bits ive done have made it in general better.

I got a box full of parts back as well. Always good for spares. And this was the issue with the old one...

20180621_193514.

Fairly done for that lol

So then a couple hours later, obviously it died. Lost the aux belt somewhere so lost all electricity. Tried shoelaces and tights and nothing worked. So wd towed it home. Will be chucking a new belt on this afternoon and be back to business.

20180621_222528.

Also, neons. Yep. Just a bit of a laugh, but im fairly in to them. Just have fun and bring neons back!

• Like Like x 1
  15. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

+1 on the bring neons back!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. mj86

mj86 Member

So currently just got the 86 parked up sorting a couple little bits out.

One of the issues i was having, was because my front bumper is so broken it was drooping on the corners, even with fibreglass and filler it would sag. So i already had the centre bumper support we made, so thought to just add some tabs on to that to support the corners.

Went rooting through the scrap metal box and found 2 lengths of small box, one small enough to slide inside the other. I would use the bigger section to mount to the centre part then slide the smaller inside to extend and bend to where i needed.

So heres what i came up with...

20180711_170418.

20180711_170423.

20180711_170434.

So i concentrated on one side first and then just replicated what i did there on the other side. Here i got the general shape of the bar by cutting notches and bending in to shape.

20180711_175100.

Still haven't learnt the welding, so got my partners dad to stick it together then i just tart it up.

20180711_182017.

Then we stuck it all to the car. As with everything on this car, its not the prettiest, but it works. We had to weld this side at an angle, as at some point ive bent the centre section so its no longer straight!

20180711_182935.

And there it is holding my very poorly bumper up. The job is a success. I will be setting to repair the bumper on the weekend when i have more time.

• Like Like x 1