Yes another SR20DE+T question

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by matt_23, Jun 23, 2018.

1. matt_23

matt_23 Member

I know it's a topic that has been talked about alot, I've done my research and googled and looked in endless forums, either people say yes it fine to do and easily done but other people say dont it.

I know its the typical dont bother its easier and cheaper to buy a sr20det but at £1200-2000 is it really? Plus if im going down this route im not bothered about it being too much work or so on, it'll be a nice project for myself.

But anyway all i want to know is what is, what's the main reason for failure on a sr20de when running a turbo?

If i had forged internals and ran all the correct oil feeds and so on, what's the thing that fails on it?

Is it the compression?

Thanks

#1 matt_23, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. Cades

Cades Member

I'd say a combination of compression, and the DE block not having oil squirters fitted.
    But if you took the time to make a DE with forged internals, why wouldn't you get low comp pistons/spend the money on a det engine?

• Like Like x 1
  3. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Because having a project to work on over the summer is somthing I've always wanted to do, so spending money every month and time building an engine slowly is somthing id enjoy is somthing I'd like.

But forking out £1200+ for an engine that alot of the time doesn't come with any ancillarys/turbo that i have no idea how good it is?

I've read people making 400hp on a de+t without installing the oil squiters but instead using an oil cooler not sure how true that is? Is there anyway to lower the compression?

If i went for stronger internals and not go crazy psi on the turbo and had a good tune surely that would work fine?

4. Cades

Cades Member

Not sure how beneficial it would be to use an oil cooler, since you actually want the oil underneath the pistons still. If the block is apart though it would be silly not to put squirters in, since the hole position is already marked out.
    You can lower compression using different pistons, or the easy cheap way is to fit a thicker headgasket.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matt_23

matt_23 Member

That's what i thought as surely oil squiters are there to get the oil to a certain place to lubricate it not cool the oil?

If i was going to source a sr20det id strip it down and install forged internals anyway so in away it wouldn't be much cheaper, with the de+t im guessing it's just a case of drilling an tapping for oil lines and oil squiters then deciding on thicker head gasket or lower comp pistons.

6. matt_23

matt_23 Member

What compression ratio pistons would i need to use to bring the compression down?

7. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

What are you going to use it for? What kind of power delivery are you wanting and what's the biggest thing for you: reliability, power, response or future potential?

8. BenRice

And do you have access to ethanol blended fuel?

9. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Im aiming to be around 320-380 well that's what id like anyway, i use a work van all week so it won't be a daily car in the slightest.

Maybe evenings and weekends, so it'll be for as power/response.

Not sure on the ethenol, why do you ask?

10. BenRice

Less need for oil squirters as it burns cooler / less chance of detonation. But if you're going to build it for power response and not afraid to open up an engine then may as well fit the squirters.

A DE will do 320hp on stock internals, but wouldn't push it much past that. If you're going to open it up and upgrade the pistons and rods then 8.5:1 is the compression ratio you want to shoot for. If you have access to ethanol fuel then you could look at going for 9:1 and that will improve response. But you could also achieve the response with a well matched turbo & manifold.

To answer your initial question on what fails it tends to be bearings or headgasket. Oil cooler is key to ensure the oil doesn't overheat and thin out, but not considered a replacement for oil squirters

11. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Ethanol, or E85 isn't so easy to get over here. 10 years ago there were more places selling it, but it never took off - the government never pushed it, they pushed Diesel instead.

A few places still have it, but it's very few and far between.

12. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Thaks all for answering my questions and for all the info aprichiate it.

Well had a little search and forged 8.5:1 pistons are available for around £480ish so not too bad, its just oil squiters as only really found them on ebay for about £50 each so little pricey.

13. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Add in the cost of buying all the parts and having the engine built, what sort of cost are you on?? Gotta be near a grand?
    Not sure the costs will be much less than buying a DET, but if you want a project then fair enough.

14. matt_23

matt_23 Member

It'll just be parts as my dad is a gearbox/engine builder so just the parts cost, but I'll enjoy the build.

If a sr20det comes up at a decent price ill go for it but they are just a little too pricey in my opinion.

15. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Keep telling you man, hit me up for prices lol.

Its going to cost you to build it bud, buy the right parts and do it once. avoid cheap eBay shite.... lol

16. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Haha you know ill be coming to you, never had a bad deal.

But if im going forged anyway itll be cheaper to use the de engine as i dont have to initially fork out £1200+ for an engine.

Obviously wont be ordering anything yet as car isn't even here but I'll drop you a message soon rich for some prices.

17. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Exactly that, just do your homework and see whats needed on the DE, plenty of info on here i'm sure. The Oil Squirters are there to cool the pistons IIRC

• Like Like x 1
  18. BenRice

If you can get your hands on a good crank, might pay to keep an eye out for a DET block that's run bearings and give it a good flush. That way you've got the oil squirters already and no need to drill & tap the oil feed / use a sandwich plate

Good to know re: E85. Pity tho, it's a godsend for +T applications

19. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Initially that's what i was going to do but they are impossible to find, i can only find the gti-r det block which i know you can't use so i agree with you but i just can not find a bare block anywhere.

20. BenRice

Maybe a long block with rod knock might make more sense? Then you've got a head sussed as well. Or failing that a short block?