First cool drift car but long term project

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Michael quinn, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

Right people of the DW forum, i need your vast knowledge to find what possible cars i can have as contendors for my first proper drift car. I have previously drifted and had my own drift car that i built but sadly had to sell. it was a 323i saloon and i have drifted in MX5's with ProDrift Academy. I am looking for ideas for a first proper drift car to take to events but i want it to be something that there is a strong aftermarket as i know things will break. The style ill aim to make the car is the typical JDM style like DMax and BN kits with over fenders and wide wheels. (Images of examples attached) Ideally ill want a car that i can buy for cheap and not have to spend tonnes on tackling rust, but i do want to have some jobs to do so i can get proper stuck in from the set off. I have thought of an LS400 and manual swapping it (but dont know what this entails exactly) and the same idea with an LS430. BMW's still in it i just dont know where i can get the appropriate style body kit. Any suggestions at all comment, ideally, the car initally i dont want to spend over £1500. Thank you

RX7 FC.

S13 DMax.

S15 BN.

JZX100.

2. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

I think for the cars you have imaged, you'll struggle with that budget lol

If you could kick it up a few quid, I would be looking into the 350z market. Manual, good power in stock form and room to improve, big Brembos from factory if you have one with the GT Pack.

Prices seem to be good on them at the moment too and an abudance of parts out there already.

3. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

Yeh I know I won’t be able to get any of those it was more so the style with the body kits. I’ve considered the 350z, I’d prefer something bigger like a saloon but I do like 350’s. Cheers for the input mate!

4. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

search for @section59_bluebell on instagram.

youre welcome.

5. richie_k83

If you are strict on that budget, you could pick up a GS300? Nice 2JZ Powered saloon, Toyota build quality, could turbo later down the line too with an XS Power Turbo Kit. Maybe Manual convert it too when ready if you dont want to do some Auto drifting.

d300.

I'm looking to convert my Chaser to a BMW manual box next year, once I have gathered all the bits and pieces for it.

6. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

Wow kinda want a bmw now

7. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

Yeh that might be an option, I really like the look of that one and could claim to the Mrs it’s a sensible family sort of car lol is the 2jz in these the same as the high power 2jz just without turbos?

8. richie_k83

Best way around it with the wife lol.

2JZ-GE non Turbo on these, so around 230ish HP? There is a few differences between the Engine itself and the 2JZ-GTE Turbo'd version. But they are still very strong and in stock form can be good for up to 500hp ish I believe with Turbo's and other supporting modifications

9. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

As above if you wanted an E36 There is the HM-Sports kit which Ollie Jordan (sct59 bluebell) and many others run which can be purchased from Ali at StreetTrackLife which gives the car a very JDM vibe.
    otherwise you're options are really the same as everyone else.
    MX5 look for minty fresh's kit looks good on these cars.
    GS300 save some money to manual swap
    LS400/430 as above
    Or save some more money and buy a cheap S14 (will need the work) or as above find a 350.

10. vinp182

vinp182 New Member

IS200 and V8 swap it at a later date