Drift Hardbody with bmw suspension and VR6

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ApkFabrication, Aug 20, 2018.

1. ApkFabrication

ApkFabrication New Member

Hey everyone, I just found this website and decided to post the pictures of my current project that i've been working on for the last 6 months.

It started out as a 1995 Nissan Hardbody single cab 2wd
    This is somewhere I can dump the pictures that I don't post on my social media. Somewhere to keep a more detailed log of the build

#1 ApkFabrication, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. ApkFabrication

When my Opa was younger he had wanted to be a millwright/machinist, but when his dad said he had to take over the family farm that was that. So he became a farmer, and slowly over the years he has built up a collection of metal working tools and has taught himself the basics and has in turn taught me a lot of the things he learned.

This build is a collaboration of ideas and designs from myself and my Opa

IMG_1460.JPG The day I got the truck
    IMG_1612.JPG
    my Opa went on vacation for 2 weeks and didn't know the extent of the build yet. He told me "don't take the bed off and it better not be in pieces when I get back"
    IMG_1622.JPG

whoops IMG_1638.JPG
    bed is off and I powerwashed all the mud and junk off the frame

IMG_1618.JPG
    just looking at what we need to cut out
    IMG_1655.JPG
    There is so much stuff in the rear end of these trucks
    IMG_1663.JPG
    We pulled the solid axle out to make room for the IRS
    IMG_1685.JPG
    IRS set in rough place to see what kind of mounts i'll need to make
    IMG_1755.JPG
    plated the inside of the frame rails and welded in crossmembers to hold the IRS
    IMG_1787.JPG
    looking back on this picture I remember being scared to cut the frame up haha
    IMG_1789.JPG
    had to cut it for wheel clearance
    IMG_1820.JPG
    Bolted the IRS up and in the process of making spring perches
    IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG
    I didn't really like how I built these. They didn't look strong enough and there was room to make the truck an inch lower so I redesigned them
    IMG_1879.JPG
    This is after the redesign. I felt much better about this setup

#2 ApkFabrication, Aug 20, 2018
  3. ApkFabrication

IMG_1880.JPG
    put the box back on to check ride height
    IMG_2011.JPG I attached this piece of angle to get the toe as close to zero as possible so i could make my mounts in the center of its adjustment

IMG_2015.JPG The welds on the trailing arm mount

IMG_2028.JPG rear end all done minus shocks. I really like how with the E36 IRS everything is tucked under the bed. Since it has a split shock and spring instead of a coilover
    IMG_2107.JPG I made adjustable lower control arms for the rear to fix the positive camber it it had IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2114.JPG Everything is tucked nicely under the bed. IMG_2448.JPG
    This is about the time I decided to do the front suspension too and I was set on using the m52 from the bmw donor i bought IMG_2444.JPG
    the engine bay isn't very long, but its very tall. This works to our advantage later on IMG_2485.JPG more cutting
    IMG_2523.JPG don't need these anymore IMG_2531.PNG our next problem was that the bmw subframe was 31" and the truck frame was 25" in the front. There is no way the inline 6 would fit with the stock front frame IMG_2543.JPG Now its my first frame off project IMG_3087.JPG starting to make the frame rails for the bmw suspension. this is 2x4" box that we drilled holes in and sleeved IMG_3086.JPG I cut these subframe mounting points right off my donor E36 IMG_3148.JPG This is my opa and I assembling our new bender IMG_3279.JPG First bends after calibrating. Making our shock towers IMG_3282.JPG 1/4'" plate shock tower with a cutout for the wisefab camber plates IMG_3617.JPG I decided against the Bmw M52b28 in favour of a VW VR6 mated to a 350z transmission. It is the perfect engine for this build. It's a 6 cylinder engine the size of a 4 cylinder IMG_4017.JPG Opa testing out to see where the shifter will sit in the cab IMG_4028.JPG picked up a vr6 with headstuds and a huge box of parts from a really cool local vw guy IMG_4170.JPG When I bought the transmission adapter I didn't know I had to cut my bellhousing IMG_4171.JPG here it is cut and ready to be mated to the engine IMG_4243.JPG I re used the engine mount bushings from my donor e36 to use for the truck. I bent up some perches and welded them to the frame IMG_4255.JPG passenger side engine mount IMG_4263.JPG Driver side mount. I wanted to keep my power steering so I used the accessory bracket to bolt the mount to. I'm not sure how I feel about the strength of this mount. If anyone reading this has an idea i'd be more than willing to listen IMG_4278.JPG first time its rolled out of the shop in months. Felt so good IMG_4279.JPG The wisefab isn't making it easy to fit wheels on stock body. I might have to get flares or something. These are 16x7+48 I believe and 7 degrees of camber IMG_4289.JPG I rolled it over to the hoist and made a transmission crossmember for the cd01. Now it can roll on its own without support IMG_4286.JPG Now i'm painting the rear subframe and installing the diff so I can measure for a driveshaft. That's also something. If anyone knows a shop in canada that can make a driveshaft for a 350z trans and a bmw e36 diff please let me know. Both the local shops can't hold the e36 end in their machines IMG_4310.JPG subframes painted and ready to go back in IMG_4293.JPG maxed the coils low to see what kind of fitment I can get

#3 ApkFabrication, Aug 20, 2018
  4. orange_beastie

orange_beastie Pickup driftin

Looking good love pickups you could have modified the bulkhead to make space for the bmw lump.
    Ive built an rb25det mazda b1800 and put the r33 bulkhead into the the truck so fitted it where i wanted.

5. counteract

counteract -o=me

I like this a lot.

Can you not just use a 350z propshaft cut to length with an adapter plate at the diff end? The props are carbon fibre as standard so knocking the back flange out to shorten it to length shouldn’t be a problem!

6. ApkFabrication

i just went through your entire build thread. That thing is nuts man. You did all the work im trying to avoid doing haha

7. ApkFabrication

I never thought of that. I'm going to look into it. I'm sure we can make the adapter. Thanks man

8. Cruuz

Cruuz New Member

Super rad build man, I'll def be watching this. Very interested to see and hear that vr6 rip once it's going. Are you planning to run it stock + bolt ons for a while or ?

9. ApkFabrication

Thanks man. The VR I bought has arp head studs and a new headgasket and rebuilt top end so it should hold a decent amount of boost from what i'm reading online

i'm planning on running it N/A for now while I work the anticipated problems out of the truck. Then once it's dialed I plan on turboing it and shooting for around 350 whp

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Loving the fabrication work on this mate - good stuff!

11. ApkFabrication

thanks man, i'm trying to re use as many stock parts as possible

12. ApkFabrication

IMG_4332.JPG
    Pulling the fuel tank out of a junky Honda with a walboro 255 in it IMG_4335.JPG
    Looks like it'll fit okay IMG_4362.JPG
    Next onto hooking up the steering because I was tired of pushing it in and out without steering. Stock column on left, Honda column middle, and BMW column right IMG_4365.JPG
    Cutting the stock Nissan column shorter to make the shaft angle less steep IMG_4371.JPG
    When I cut the column I found out that the only bushing is at the very end. So I had to make a new one to keep the shaft centred IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4401.JPG This is the end I made to fit into the BMW steering rack. Rod turned down. Then I knurled it but it wouldn't grab the BMW end. So I put a keyway on it and now it's solid. I also kept the BMW collapsible section so the column doesn't try to kill me if I crash IMG_4384.JPG IMG_4425.JPG Got my chasebays booster delete. It fits great. This saves me from having to get a custom pedal setup. The stock booster wouldn't fit with the coilover mounts we made. My Opa doesn't think this will actually stop the truck. Anyone used it before? IMG_4446.JPG Got the first apk stickers made and slapped on the back widow IMG_4468.JPG custom driveshaft to connect the 350z trans to the e36 diff. It looks like The shop used an adapter to get it to go from one to the other. And then used a standard flange and IMG_4481.JPG
    Bent up some 1x1 square tubing to hold the fuel tank. I put some self tappers through the holes on the edge of the tank but I am going to make straps for underneath as well IMG_4525.JPG battery tray. 1x1 tubing and expanded metal with 1/8" gussets IMG_4526.JPG unpainted battery tray IMG_4538.JPG IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

#12 ApkFabrication, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. ApkFabrication