Balling on a budget jag

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by woods1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Pics of the hubs? just look on Google images. Was advised by wizards of lock that its not a great idea to be cutting them up. The design of the hubs is very different to the generic style bmw or jap hubs that can be modded easily.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave comber

Dave comber New Member

I meant the spacers.sorry for the confusion.i was wondering where you got them from so I could order myself some
    Cheers

3. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Think your making more confusion here lol.

Spacers?

Are you on about spacers for the steering tie rod? (which I don't have rack spacers on, see page two of the thread) or spacers for the wheels?

4. Dave comber

Dave comber New Member

Lol.should have read it properly.i was thinking of putting rack spacers on it but not sure ho to go about taking measurements etc.fo you find the standard lock is good enough

5. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So as I've not done a drift day for a while and my next planned day is going back to teesside in October, me and my mate in his e36 decided to book on to three sisters drift day.

I'm not a big fan of these, as there can be up to 70 cars booked on, and they run in 3 groups with 20 min sessions, which ends up in basically getting 2-4 runs every hour. However I was hoping that because this drift day I booked onto was on a bank holiday weekend Friday, it might be quite and I'd be able to get some runs in..

So the car could do with some new pads, so put some new brembo pads in the rear

DSC_0459_zpsyjjw8glv.

DSC_0460_zps2uq7ijot.

So we got to three sisters and to my disbelief there was 8 cars booked onto my class, and this ment it actually turned out to be an epic day getting a huge amount of seat time in. It was a Bdc practice day, so in total there was about 20 cars there split over 3 groups.
    My driving came on loads over the day and had a brilliant day shredding tires.

DSC_0462_zpsgryytdyk.

FB_IMG_1535301539600_zpsjkk09ah5.

FB_IMG_1535301428100_zpsqfxtnlbc.

FB_IMG_1535305824554_zpsva0zu1fe.

Learned to not take tires to the absolute limit because you have to remove the tire with a grinder

DSCPDC_0001_BURST20180824123924886_COVER_zpsac30emxx.

And the best pic from the day :)

IMG_20180826_194640_200_zpstf16jbvi.

I'm still looking Into getting the jag more power...doesn't really need it but I can't leave things alone haha

• Like Like x 2
  6. thyfartismurder

thyfartismurder Active Member

I went to the three sisters on friday to spectate for a few hours and instantly spotted the Jag in the car park, you didnt go out the next run and then my ride home had to go so I never got to see it in action, hope I get to see you there again

• Like Like x 1
  7. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Ahh cheers, I missed one session after dinner due to that bloody tire. Because the middle completely blew out the tire man could not get it off. I was going to nip home to get a spare pair of rims as I brought only one set of rims and just tires, but due to issues and tire man going home early, I just had to miss one session and then went back out on my 17s instead if the 15s I usually run for drifting.

Id love to do every three sisters day if they were all that quite, il more than likely head up there again soon for another skid :)

FB_IMG_1535225778859_zpsauvlzwcj.

• Like Like x 1
  8. revlimit

revlimit Media Click Yo!

Have you installed a handbrake or are you using the stock one ?

9. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So very very chuffed this month to walk into tesco and see my jag has a small appearance on the front cover of practical performance car magazines and a decent size feature.

Huge thanks to will at ppc mag for doing this :)

DSC_0476_zpsmh2v4uy0.

DSC_0473_zpsllvhkien.

DSC_0474_zpsnhugzfwv_edit_1535704326864_zpss3qswjgp.

If jags get popular at drift days then you saw it here first haha

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

This is sick. Fuckin love it. Fair play to ya. You said that the suspension set up is very similar to is200s is that just the shock or everything could you not try get is200 front knuckles to fit or are they miles different

• Like Like x 1
  11. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Really appreciate the love :)

Yea the shock layout was similar but that was about it mate, it would also be difficult for the pcd of the wheels to be different too.

Definitely worth a look Into tho!

12. orange_beastie

orange_beastie Pickup driftin

Looks good dude well done, how did you go about getting a magazine feature? Been trying to find someone to see if my truck would be of interest to anyone?

13. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

Pitty but stock lock doesn’t look too bad after all. Maybe you could get a bolt on job like some people do with is200s and beamers

14. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Over 13k views! Unbelievable.

Next drift day coming up is teesside in October, and I wanted to drift on matching sized rims, as drifting on 15s looks gay as they are so small, but I wanted a smaller tire than the front if I ran 17"skid wheels and not as wide. This was just to help it drift nicer without too much grip as I've not got a ton of bhp.

So sticking with the random theme, I bought a set of 4 peugeot 607 17s!
    DSC_0481_zps8uwlyccc.

I doubt you have ever seen a jag on 607 wheels, in fact not many have seen a 607 to begin with as they were a rare executive car that never sold well haha.

I got a full set of 4 that had been fully refurbed and had never seen a tire for 50 quid as the guy on ebay spelt peugeot wrong, so don't think they were coming up on many searches.

Decided to run a 205 40 17 tire as that was the smallest I could make the wheel without it looking too strange. Got two part worn tires on and I'm well happy.

Can't wait for teeside

DSC_0487_zps5ykdcfkx.
    DSC_0488_zpsysiqjzcg.

• Like Like x 5
  15. keef247

keef247 Member

without a doubt one of the most unique coolest builds on here mate

• Like Like x 2
  16. woods1

woods1 Active Member

These comments mean a lot to me mate, thanks for the love :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. martymarty

martymarty New Member

I'm a new member and utter jag lover ...looking to get rid of my xj40 and get an s type also after reading this thread. Want something different to a e36 as my mates have them. So I'm now spurred on to get another gentleman drifter! Great thread this by the way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. keef247

keef247 Member

your welcome mate, it's well refreshing to see stuff like this! such a sleeper too!

19. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So on Wednesday I was very very happy to get a ticket to drive matsuri on the Saturday!
    This will be the biggest drift/event day I've ever done and I honestly can't wait to go and have a laugh in the jag :)

I've wanted to sort a new seat for ages as the cobras I have in were made in 1999 and were just cheap ones I paid 50 quid for ages ago.

So, I wanted something proper, and after having a look on GSM performance, and wanting something a bit different , I got a Mirco rts seat custom stitched in green with custom logo. Proper FIA approved shell back seat and looks amazing.

IMG_20181012_102304_280_zpsuxkfcala.

Fitted it today ready for matsuri, had to make all custom sub frames. Looks great with green stitching

DSC_0537_zpsopc36xgs.

Just need to fit a 1kg fire extinguisher and il be ready!

20. woods1

woods1 Active Member

So I went to matsuri last weekend for the Saturday and had a great time. Drove all the way there and back which is a miracle.

FB_IMG_1541237844226_zpsz92exfby.

IMG-20181102-WA0000_zpsfkqozlmx.

Overall I'd say that although I had fun going to an event like this, which is basically full of pros or semi pros in very serious cars did make me feel extremely outgunned haha.

The actual corners the jag felt great, but it simply will not hold a drift in third gear because the gear ratios are stupid long, so it was basically a second gear limiter bash the whole time, and the long straights on the costal layout is just too long.

I was blasting down the straight in third, kick the clutch, start the drift and literally the moment you come off the throttle it just bogs down and will not skid.

Its a great second gear car but that's it, it was only ever ment as a starter car so csnt expect the moon from a 200 quid car.

Doing another drift day at three sisters in a few weeks which is much more suited to the car, and then it's time to go shopping for big power.

2019 I will have a big power car, and the plans are already in place :)