Just your average BMW Fanboy’s Build Thread (PIC HEAVY)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by RozeTheHornet, Aug 16, 2018.

1. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

Hi anyone reading this, stop now, this will be a very slow and boring build thread, with the first post basically being a life history. DO NOT READ THIS! Seriously, it’s really long and really boring. I thought about doing separate threads for each project, but its just so much easier for me to deal with it all on one.

I will use this thread really to simply keep track of what I am doing with my various projects and try keep myself on track as I keep just abandoning my projects and leaving them to get rusty :no:. And so I can look back and see progression.

A simple start is to introduce all my cars:
    My dream car has always been a black E46 M3, with black interior, on silver OEM 18" wheels.
    So obviously, when I could afford one... I bought a seriously overpriced but super clean E46 318ci...

_20180816_082643.JPG

I then decided that I was going to learn to drift in this car… completely stock. Which did not go well, I obviously blew up the diff at Santa Pod, and snapped a rear coil spring, and got towed back home by the AA.

I then got a new diff and took it to DSI (now Carson Performance) to have it welded, installed that, replaced the rear coil and carried on trying to drift it.

(I have no footage of this, but here is a clip of the welded diff)

A year or so went past and I finally saved up enough money to buy an M3. I started searching for one and after a month or so, and many different cars, I found my ideal car for sale. An incredibly clean, 69k mile Manual coupe, non-sunroof, with not a scratch on it and full BMW Service history.

I fell in love and bought it. And suddenly had 2 very clean Black on Black, Manual E46 Coupes.

_20180816_082721.JPG
    _20180816_082804.JPG

My intention was to keep this clean, pristine and only drive it on weekends and take it to shows. That all fell apart about a month later when the 318 developed a misfire, and then died completely. I decided to try fix it, couldn’t solve the issue, so thought sod it, I will buy a cheap, ragged 330ci, learn to drift more in that, and use all the super clean 318 parts to make a raged 330ci nice.

Hopped onto eBay and found the cheapest, “Drift Ready” 330ci (also known as a stripped, plasti-dipped 330ci, with an eBay wheel, eBay coilovers, eBay hydro, the dodgiest of all dodgy MOT’s, a very sketchy history, and all of the rust in the world). As terrible as the car looked, it surprisingly ran great, was and has still never given me any reliability issues (other than me getting excited on a roundabout and bending a lower arm) and the car has grown on me massively.

I swapped all of the removable body panels from the clean 318, and put them on the 330, cleaned it all up, sorted the dodgy wiring, re plumbed the hydro, fully serviced the car and ran it as my daily / drift car for almost a year.

_20180816_082911.JPG

Lots of drift footage of both the 330 and the 540 on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeHZYzzMwQ6oLmm6kw3dI3g?

At the same time the M3 had developed / shown many, many issues. The front callipers were warped, the car kept going into Limp Mode because of a dodgy throttle position sensor, a rear coil spring snapped, then the other one snapped, cracking was discovered on the boot floor, the high-level brake light died and a speed sensor died. The garage I bought the car from however fixed everything that went wrong on the car free of charge, which I cannot recommend them enough for. Only thing I paid for was the subframe reinforcement because obviously that may have happened after they sold the car. This is something I had planned on doing to the car anyway at some point as it is a common issue.

When the 330 MOT came round it failed because of corroded brake lines so I parked the car up on my drive, and started using the M3 till I could find time to replace all the brake lines. This went on for about 3 months or so. I then had a motorcycle accident and could not move much at all for a month or so, and was on a wheelchair then crutches for another month. Whilst stuck at home doing nothing, being bored, I could see a mostly gutted 318 out my window, a 330 on axle stands with the rear subframe completely removed, and an M3 gathering dust, so I decided to buy a 540i/6 manual that popped up for sale as a replacement for the 330.

Went to go see it with a friend whilst still on crutches and bought it. I did a separate build thread on that here: https://www.driftworks.com/forum/threads/e39-540i-manual.264456/

_20180816_082849.JPG

Today my 318 is still on my drive, not even a rolling shell really. The 330 is all fixed and needing an MOT then a new home, and the 540i has just sat on my drive for about 4 months now.

The good news is I Bought a set of HSD MonoPro Coilovers and will hopefully be installing these to the M3 on Friday. Will update not long after that in theory…

This thread is to try make me actually start doing the things I want to my cars, and get them all running and drifting again, or sold, or burned… Really just do anything with them to be honest, I am just tired of having 3 non-road legal / not properly running BMWs on my drive, and the M3 slowly deteriorating .

Apologies if you actually read all of that…

Hopefully the next post will be me actually doing things to one or any of the cars.

#1 RozeTheHornet, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Owen Wakefield

Owen Wakefield New Member

Just bought a 318ci myself. Good little cars to be honest. Easy to do engine work with the 13 acres of room
    Enjoyed the introduction and excited for the thread to develop! Hoping to learn a thing or two as im still young and new to modifying cars lmao.
    Gorgeous 5 series and m3 btw! :D

3. RozeTheHornet

So... Took the M3 to a friend's garage to borrow the lift, to make the Coilovers slightly easier to do. Removed the rear dampers and springs no problem. Moved onto the front and removed the near side front Coilover easily. Moved to the off side front, and left a friend to undo the bolts whilst I worked on fitting the rears. I heard a snap and realised the bolt holding the hub to the bottom of the strut had snapped and was stuck in the hub. After about 2 hours of trying, I gave up on removing the bolt because the garage closes at 5.
    Gave up and tidy'd up.
    Picked up a new hub today and will find some time to finish the Coilovers and replace the hub next week.
    Nothing on BMW's is ever easy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RozeTheHornet

I enjoyed my 318, just make sure you have spare expansion tanks as mine exploded 3...
    Enjoy the car!

• Like Like x 1
  5. RozeTheHornet

Quick update, sorry for the lack of photos and poor fitment... This will all be sorted in due course.

So yesterday I started at about 9:30, managed to sort the rear coil overs and front left and get everything tight.
    Then decide to move onto the front right, with the sheared bolt in the hub.
    Got it off after applying lots of force to the lower arm ball joint and tie rod ball joint. Then dropped the old strut and hub as a single unit out the car.
    received_255449625105644.

Replacement hub went in easy, as did the last HSD Coilover. Set the height to full low on both the fronts with no preload on the springs and dampers set to full soft.
    Set the rears to full low on the damper, full soft, and the rear coilovers to about 4cm from the lowest i could and dropped the car expecting at least a little rubbing somewhere... and it looked like this:

received_2093169980943564.

The front is at exactly the height I want, may need to raise once the springs settle a bit though.
    The rear however is way too high. I can fit my foot in the arch gap.
    I will be lowering these to full low, and wait a while for it to settle fully and work from there.
    If its still too high, I might have to end up removing one or both of the locking collars to get it as low as i want...

Drove it home and got warning lights for ABS, TC and Handbrake, oh, and no speedo. Realized instantly what was wrong as i have had this on the 330 before (whilst i was trying to figure out how to fully disable TC and ABS but keep the speedo, top tip btw: remove the Nearside Front speed sensor (a little blue sensor) and you will keep the speeds, but fully disable TC and ABS. If you just pull a fuse instead of doing it this way you will have a hard rev limit at 5k rpm.). Anyway took the original speed sensor off the old hub and fit it to the new hub and cleared the codes. No more warning lights and speedo returned.

No more plans for car work currently, however the current job list is:
    Sort out M3 height and ride (possibly remove the front anti roll bar).
    MOT the 330ci and sell it (or if I cant get as much as i want for it, then just skid it till it dies... Saw Driftland were going to do another "Driftland Bash", cant really think of a better way to kill the car tbh).
    Get rid of the 318ci shell.
    Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids.
    Maybe Drift Prep the M3 (bit more lock is about all it needs tbh...)

Will update again whenever i have anything interesting to add.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RozeTheHornet

Not really a proper update, just have some time free now to add to this.
    Had an easy day at work last week so went home early, jacked up the rear and lowered the rear springs to full low. Rear is still too high, ride is also quite stiff, so I will be first be removing the rear springs that came with the HSD kit, and will be fitting the 20mm lowering springs I had in the rear before, with the adjusters to see how that rides and where it sits.
    I also tried to remove the front anti roll bar, but remembered you need some thin mole grips to grab the back of the ball joint, which I need to borrow froma friend again, so this is a job for another day... again.

Going on holiday for 2 weeks on Friday so no work planned, however the current job list is:
    Sort out M3 height and ride.
    Get some M3 spacers for good fitment.
    Remove M3 front anti roll bar.
    MOT the 330ci, tidy it up a bit and sell it. (Anyone want a 330ci?). If I can't get more than about £1500 I might just keep it...
    Get rid of the 318ci shell. (Anyone want a shell?)
    Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then sell it.
    Drift Prep the M3 (lock washers and send it)

#6 RozeTheHornet, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Owen Wakefield

Where abouts are you? Not been looking for a new shell but i definately prefer black to silver lmao.

8. RozeTheHornet

I live in Epsom, and the shell has just been sitting on my drive for about 2 years now, just a bare shell though, the doors, bonnet, boot, bumpers and wings have been plasti dipped black, shell itself (rear quarters, roof etc) is stock black though .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Owen Wakefield

Ill have a good think about it. Will the plasti dip peel off to reveal the standard paint or? And how hard is swapping my current 318 parts over?

If its quite a big job i'll give it a miss

10. RozeTheHornet

The plasti dip will peel off, and reveal scratched, silver paint.

A chassis swap is not something you can do with out a lot of time, patience and help...
    You will have to remove every single component on your car, and put it on the new shell.

If you have a silver 318 and want a black one, just sell yours and buy a black one :D.

11. RozeTheHornet

As usual, another quick update, this time with some photos :D.

Still want to lower the rears by about 3cm (tuck tyre but not rim). Fronts i am now happy with after raising the fromt by 1cm both sides on sunday.

This was harder then it seems. Top tip, when you fit the coilovers, do not wind them all the way to the bottom tight. If you want full low, wind them all the way to the bottom, then raise them about 1mm. If you wind them all the way down tight, they will be really hard to raise again because they will kind of sieze and you wont be able to spin the strut to adjust the height without a lot of force to start...

Also make sure that the anti roll bar bracket is facing towards the inner wheel arch rather then the wheel, and make sure you do the locking collar very tight. I did not do this originally and the mounting point spun slightly and very lightly scratched the inside lip of my wheel. I got lucky and noticed it before any real damage was done. Everything is now done very tight to avoid future damage.

I also have a pair of 20mm spacers arriving tomorrow. I will test fit these and use that as a rough guide to work out what spacers I actually need to buy for each corner.

Anyway here is what the M3 looks like currently, with OEM 18" wheels, no spacers, full low rears, full low -1 cm fronts.

IMG-20180917-WA0004. IMG-20180917-WA0006. IMG-20180917-WA0005.

12. RozeTheHornet

So I est fit the 20mm spacers when they arrived, however they arrived with 10mm extended wheel bolts... Which were not long enough to even reach the thread at all. Guess that should be expected when buying used Tegiwa spacers for very cheap off ebay :D (still a bargain even with the wrong bolts).
    Good news is that this is a great excuse to do a stud conversion. So I ordered some probably excessively long 90mm studs (58mm thread) from Ebay. And 20 x black 19mm shallow open ended wheel nuts from Driftworks, and some HSD extended adjusters whilst I was there :) (Adjusted the front stiffness last week and it is really difficult to adjust this on the E46 MonoPro coilovers because of where the adjuster is located at the bottom of the shock, hopefully the extended adjusters will fix this).

Stud Conversion Kit and HSD Adjusters.

These all arrived on Thursday, and hopefully I can find some time this week to fit everything and work out if any more spacers are needed, and update again once this is done.
    Then I will leave the M3 for a bit and start getting the 330 ready for whatever i decide to do with it...

Current job list is:
    1. Fit Stud Conversion, Spacers and HSD Adjusters to the M3.
    2. MOT the 330ci, tidy it up a bit and sell it. (Anyone want a 330ci?). If I can't get more than about £1500 I might just keep it...
    3. Get rid of the 318ci shell. (Anyone want a shell?)
    4. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it.
    5. Drift Prep the M3 (lock washers and send it... maybe... only if I sell all the others, probably. Who knows really, i will defo change my mind whatever i decide anyway :cool:)

13. RozeTheHornet

Fit the stud conversion and spacers last night. All went smoothly, was way easier than I expected. But had to pop to Halfords and buy myself a Deep 19mm socket as i have only ever had to use 17mm for BMW Bolts before.

Anyway, test fit the rear with one of the 20mm spacers,which was defo too much...
    received_325543544861463.
    So will be buying some 12mm spacers for the rear (apparently that is what a lot of M3 people run)...

Fit the 20mm spacers to the front, and I am super happy with the fitment now. Car looks super aggressive, especially with the longer studs.
    I will be getting a proper alignment and adding a bit more camber up front, and a bit less rear, but for now here is how she sits. Couldn't be much happier :cool:!

DSC_0424 (5mb) 3.
    received_2124432837874725.

Current job list is:
    1. Fit HSD Adjusters to the M3.
    2. MOT the 330ci, tidy it up a bit and sell it. (Anyone want a 330ci?). If I can't get more than about £1500 I might just keep it...
    3. Get rid of the 318ci shell. (Anyone want a shell?)
    4. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it.
    5. Drift Prep the M3 (lock washers and send it... maybe... only if I sell all the others, probably. Who knows really, i will defo change my mind whatever i decide anyway :cool:)

14. RozeTheHornet

Ok, so the 330 is MOT's surprisingly passed with only a few advisory's!
    All of which are in the process of being fixed at the moment / this weekend!
    Annoyingly now it is drive-able again, I actually like, and think it looks pretty good :rolleyes:. But once I have sorted the issues, I will be throwing it up on eBay because I need some MONEYS!

DSC_0492 (1).JPG

I have also slowly been piecing together a Hydraulic Handbrake set up for the M3, I like trying to avoid using a handbrake when drifting, but always good to have one in case of emergency! So here are the IRP Dual Caliper Brackets!

DSC_0535 (1).JPG

I will also sort myself out a Z3 (non M) rack to put in the M3 (quicker ratio, linear and heavier apparently), and some lock washers, and add some caster, to try make the car steer a bit better.

Current job list is:
    1. Fit HSD Adjusters to the M3 (still not done this yet :/ !).
    2. SELL THE 330ci! (Anyone want a 330ci?). If I can't get more than about £1500 I still might just keep it...
    3. Get rid of the 318ci shell. (Anyone want a shell?) please someone take it...
    5. Drift Prep the M3 (finish piecing together the hydro set up, sort some lock washers, source a Z3 rack and swap the rack out, then send it... maybe... only if I sell all the others, probably. Who knows really, i will defo change my mind whatever i decide anyway :cool:)

15. RozeTheHornet

Not really a build update, but the 330 has been sold and collected, got some funds now to put into the other projects now!
    And found a local scrap car collector who will collect the 318 once the engine and box are out :D. So need to get on that.
    M3 drivers side headlight has decided to shit itself again, not the bulb, think it may be wiring related, but need to investigate.
    M3 has another front puncture, but never seems to drop below 15 PSI. Will get the front tyres changed and keep the punctured one and the other side as spare skid tyres (got about 6mm tread all round).

Current job list is:
    1. Change M3 front tyres.
    2. Sort out M3 headlight.
    3. Fit HSD Adjusters to the M3 (done the rears but not the fronts...).
    4. Get the engine and gearbox out the 318, then get rid of the 318ci shell. Anyone want a shell before I give it free to the local guys?
    5. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it (probably keep it, throw some rear seats in it, rip out the cage, and daily it).
    6. "Drift Prep" the M3 (finished piecing together the hydro set up, now need to fit it all. Sort some lock washers. Source a Z3 rack and swap the rack out, then send it... hopefully at Pod in February, probably some more days too...)

16. RozeTheHornet

Mini Pointless Update, but bored at work so might as well anyway...:

Finally got round to removing Sam's engine and gearbox out of the 318 shell. Way easier then expected... Crane.

Had some spare time to change over the shitty old badges from the M3 for the nice shiny new ones...
    Really don't like the look of the blue ones though, so have ordered a full set of black badges to see if that suits the car better.

Tried to fix the dead M3 headlight. Removed both units, swapped over the igniter and the fault followed the igniter. So ordered a new (used... £50 off ebay) igniter and hopefully that will solve the problem when it arrives and I fit it.

Will be calling the Scrap Man at lunch today, so last chance if anyone wants a free black 318ci shell.

Also on a side note, Booked on the Feb 27th Pod Day (with a few mates) so will be there in the M3 (unless I really start working on the 540 soon). If you see me there, please don't chase too close, M3 has very little lock from factory, way more grip then I am used to, and is really snappy compared to anything else I have drifted, so I will be spinning lots... :D

Current job list is:
    1. Change M3 front tyres.
    2. Sort out M3 headlight (parts ordered).
    3. Fit HSD Adjusters to the M3 (done the rears but not the fronts...).
    4. Call Scrap Man and finally get rid of the 318ci shell!!! Anyone want a shell before I give it free to the local guys?
    5. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it (probably keep it, throw some rear seats in it, rip out the cage, and daily it).
    6. "Drift Prep" the M3 (finished piecing together the hydro set up, now need to fit it all (still not done), then send it... hopefully at Pod 27th February (booked on), probably some more days too...)

17. RozeTheHornet

Standard quick, not done much but happy with what I have done post...

318 shell is gone! My drive now looks sad and empty :(...

Fitted the new (used) igniter to the M3 headlight and I once again can see at night :D.
    (One side is a different colour because i'm too cheap to buy a £120 "BMW" bulb, when I can get one for £20 from Halfords...)
    Headlights.
    Not sure why the number plate looks so dirty... Might get a new one anyway :D.

Current Job List is now 2 items shorter!!!

Current Job List is:
    1. Change M3 front tyres, seriously, pumping up a tyre every two weeks is getting boring now.
    2. Fit HSD Adjusters to the M3 (done the rears but not the fronts... Still :/).
    3. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it (probably keep it, throw some rear seats in it, rip out the cage, and daily it). Who knows when I will actually start this...
    4. "Drift Prep" the M3 (finished piecing together the hydro set up, now need to fit it all (still not done), then send it... hopefully at Pod 27th February (booked on), probably will end up some more days too...)

18. RozeTheHornet

So, still not changed the front tyres, but still slowly plugging away at stuff.
    Steering wheel was starting to shake under heavy braking, assumed front discs were warped, so bought and fit new discs and pads.
    Also fit a new brake wear sensor because the old one was just disconnected, cable tied to the undertray, and looked in a real bad way. No idea how i have not noticed that before...

DSC_0991 (1).JPG
    DSC_0993 (1).JPG

Got some HEL braded lines whilst I was at it, but of course, being me, I have not had enough time to swap these out yet...

Bought myself two sets of brand new 235/17 Kenda KR20's for Pod on the 27th (friends who use them in Japan/Ebisu rave about them so decided to give them a go), and a basically brand new generic budget brand pair of 265/18's for grippier skids later in the day. So got those fitted.

DSC_0953 (1).JPG

Did a basic check of all fluids etc, and i think the car is almost ready to go. Got an alignment booked in on Saturday and that should be it... Praying for this to be my first ever drift day without breaking something :D...

Oh, I also got a C Bradley Motorsport ratchet operated hydraulic handbrake, so the set up will look as OEM as possible!!! Well, once again, whenever i actually manage to get round to doing this :/.

20190128_132330.

Current Job List is unchanged...

Current Job List is:
    1. Change M3 front tyres, seriously, pumping up a tyre every two weeks is getting boring now, still really boring but I really am just that lazy apparently..
    3. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it (probably fix it, drift it a bit then sell it). Who knows when I will actually start this...
    4. "Drift Prep" the M3 (finished piecing together the hydro set up, now need to fit it all (still not done), then send it... hopefully at Pod 27th February (booked on), probably will end up some more days too...)

19. RozeTheHornet

Another quick update:
    Got the car aligned on Saturday, fitted brand new inner and outer tie rods and rack spacers (thanks Driftworks) to help give just that little bit more lock.
    DSC_1023 (1).JPG

Car drives completely differently now, so much rear grip and the front actually steers rather than just washing out. Only downside is i ned new front Tyres because Dan pointed out how perished the fronts were... So getting myself some Uniroyal Rainsports as new steers.

Drove home no issues, then got a really bad nocking from the rear of the car (see below). This had been going on for a while, I even ended up asking Phil and the Driftworks Shop guys if it was normal for the shocks to nock... Spoiler Alert... Turns out the shocks were just bottoming out, because I am an idiot and installed the shocks set to fully low, thinking that would help me get the car lower, without realizing that obviously that would mean the shock would bottom out.

Anyway, had a little breakdown, declared my hatred for modifying cars, decided I was going to sell everything and find a new hobby. Sam told me to stop being an idiot, drove round his and within about 5 mins he had worked out what was wrong, we took the dampers off the car, set them up correctly and surprise surprise, the car drives even better now, has no nocking whatsoever and is no higher either. Result.

If Phil or any of the Dirftworks guys read this... I'm sorry for being an idiot :D.

Current Job List is:
    1. Wait for Uniroyal Rainsports to arrive and fit them!
    3. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it (probably fix it, drift it a bit then sell it). Who knows when I will actually start this...
    4. "Drift Prep" the M3, fitted everything except hydro stuff now. Its basically ready for the 27th!!!

20. RozeTheHornet

Standard boring update:
    After aligning the car went home and realized the front left was rubbing on full lock over large bumps... So decided to raise the fronts
    Jacked the car up to raise the coilovers, removed the wheel and noticed that the sway bar was not attached at the top of the coilover. Looked like it had just popped off... weird. So popped the droplinks off on both sides and removed the anti roll bar .

received_1212938698855498.

Oh well. At least it was a good excuse to remove the anti roll bar. So I then raised the front by 15mm each side, and adjusted the alignment to correct the toe. Tbh I wasn't happy with how it looked with 10mm rake anyway, so much happier now sits flat (still need to remove the rear adjustors to get the rear lower though...), will add pictures of the car and how it sits after I clean it.

Went to fit the front HSD Adjusters when I was raising the coilovers, but realised I would have nowhere to tie the end to, so it would just flap around and nock against the hub, and the lower arm, and make an annoying noise. Decided not to fit the adjusters after realizing that its actually really easy to adjust them if you just push the extended adjuster on to the dampening adjuster (stiffened the dampers by 8 clicks to adjust for the removal of the anti rollbar). So at least that's something to cross off the job list.

On Wednesday Camskill delivered the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's I bought on Monday. Cannot reccomend camskill enough. Will report on the Uniroyals after i get them scrubbed in and actually drive hard on them, but have heard nothing but good reviews about them. (apologies for Potato quality picture)

received_349860135738907.

Last night went round to see Dan, who fitted the Rainsports on to my front wheels, he then checked my alignment for me, checked and topped up my oil and power steering fluid. Legend.

Current Job List is:
    1. Don't crash or break the car at pod on the 27th Feb... (Expect Onboard footage to be put online that night :D)
    2. Tidy up the 540i and get back into doing some skids. Then maybe sell it, maybe keep it and daily it (probably fix it, drift it a bit then sell it). Who knows when I will actually start this... (Hopefully May!!!)
    3. Fit the dual caliper brackets, calipers, lines, hydro etc to the M3.