Real world reviews on BMW > JZ Gearbox Adapters?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by chopaholic, Jan 16, 2019.

1. chopaholic

chopaholic Well-Known Member

I am very soon going to be in the market for an Adapter plate to suit a GS6-53DZ HGU gearbox mated to a 1JZ.

I’m reading various mixed reviews on multiple companies, so far ive been focusing my interest in the kits offered from PMC motorsport and FTWL motorsport, this is due to price, seemingly fairly good quality stuff and so far fairly decent customer service. I have pretty much wrote the ABC and Collins kits off due to price.

But does anyone have any real world experiences with PMC or FTWL kits? There has been a few threads on here with comments based on hear say, I seen a horror image of an FTWL kit destroyed the first time he went drifting but any review I find on the internet are in praise of the quality of the FTWL stuff.

I would like to know how they stand up to drifting, how they fit and your opinions on your setup, also what setup you are running?

People have mentioned the PMC kit rattles which would not be ideal, anyone experienced that?

Many thanks,

Dylan.

2. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

I have the pmc kit, not the finest piece of engineering but it did bolt up ok. I am having real issues with the clutch not disengaging enough.

If i were to buy again it would be the Driftmoto kit. Only a little more expensive but heard better things.

3. chopaholic

Thanks for the comment man, do you have any idea why its not disengaging? Was the slave pin lengthened?

Also, been looking at this Adamat kit if anyone has seen it, looks promising.

https://adamat.com.pl/blog/1jz-2jz-dwutarczowe-sprzeglo-wyczynowe-do-skrzyn-bmw-nowa-wersja.html

4. jon07043278

Not sure. The kit came with a longer pivot made of brass to replace the nylon/plastic stock one. I tried making a longer pivot and it made it better but still not correct. Will have to do some trial and error but really it should work out of the box.

5. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

Lexibreak may be worth checking out. I'm looking at doing a manual swap on my JZX using the IS200 J160 gearbox and they are producing a full kit. Made in ireland so potentially easier to get support after you've bought it.

6. chopaholic

The issue with the J160 box is power, Its the same box used in a 6 speed S15 and I don't think they can hold that much power.

Jonny Irwin at MCL makes the conversion too and its very affordable, but not sure if it will suit this application.

7. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

what sort of price is it to have the custom prop shaft made? that bit has always held me back before, the rest of the kit is basically a clutch and adapter plate

8. jon07043278

As long as you have both ends it should cost between £40-£100 depending on how difficult. Just measure the length and send the parts, easy.

9. chopaholic

10. jon07043278

The PMC kit is a single piece flywheel using the stock flex plate (i think that's what you're saying). There is nothing wrong with that as an option.

11. chopaholic

Yea mate it put me off a little with the amount of bolts but seemingly it’s tried and tested.

Which type clutch did you go for? Also what style gearbox you running mate?

#11 chopaholic, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  12. jon07043278

There aren't any more bolts. The flexplate and flywheel are bolted through to the crank using the same bolts :)

The same box as you're looking at (GS6-53DZ). I bought the stock sachs clutch kit that came with it but use it as a spare and just bought an uprated E60 530d paddle clutch from CG clutches. That's what is fitted atm.

13. chopaholic

So, to update the thread for anyone who is interested, after lots of research I ended up going for the FTWL Motorsport twin kevlar kit, it arrived today which was super fast delivery. Looking forward to my 1JZ to arrive now to see how it fits up.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F5c6XPsy.

14. jon07043278

Great update :)

15. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Holy shitballs at the height of that flywheel !!!

16. chris1986

chris1986 Member

Is there any news about this.
    Can u tell us why u went with the ftwl kit?

i am also very curious about this.
    Want to convert my is300 2jzge to manual with a turbo kit later on.

The bmw gs6-53dz/bz seems the cheapest and most reliable option.

But i am still stuck between pmc, ftwl and adamat.

The car is a daily driver with occasional drifting/track use.

Any input is welcome.

17. chopaholic

About 5 of us have purchased the FTWL kit now and have been very happy, with the correct diff the GS6-53DZ is fantastic.

18. jake202

jake202 Member

Hey man how’s the kit going can you advise what diff ratio you have and how useable the gears are? How’s 6th at motorway speeds etc? Is it a bolt on affair or does anything need to be modified?

cheers!

19. chopaholic

I have had quite a few people message me asking about the kit, everything has been going great with it, still running the original clutch and the car has been doing about a year of mixed road driving/drifting. As I said above, about 5/6 of us bought these kits and all of them are still running and working correctly without any major rattles or unpleasant surprises.

Karol at FTWL was good to deal with and has some really good BMW knowledge when it comes to gearboxes and conversion kits.

20. juggs

juggs Member

Good to see some unbiased feedback on these, what setup are you running with the Ftwl kit , ie chassis, diff ratio , usage etc?

Was looking into this but it would be for strictly road use & occasionally skids, was wondering what the road manors are like?
    Does it rattle its bag off without the dual mass the gearbox was designed to be mated with, on idle or part load?

How’s the high rpm disengagement etc & clutch modulation/feel?