Budget coilovers

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by mickyboi93, Jan 16, 2019.

1. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

Hey has anyone had any experience with max peeding rod coilovers? ive found a fairly priced fully adjustable second hand set

I'm looking for a budget set up for now while I'm learning (cheap to replace incase of a mistake :p bound to happen) or does anyone know of any other "budget" Coilovers? or know of anyone selling a budget set up?

thanks for advise in advance :thumbs:

2. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

My s13 came with them fitted and while I had never drifted with them on (swapped out for HSD's before my first drift day) I can confirm they ride like absolute bollocks on the road. The fronts were virtually new when I got the car and within a few months the driver's side was knocking.

You get what you pay for but if it's a budget build I guess they'll do the job.

3. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

Thanks for the info .. problem being it is also my daily haha

the ones ive found are apparently "fully adjustable" so I assume I can set them up on the softer side?

either way they are likely to be a stepping stone either for this chassis or until I can afford BC's or HSD's

Also must say love the choice of car mate :thumbs: cant wait to get one myself!

4. KillboSlaggins

Dampening will help with the ride but spring rates play a big part too. If it's your daily I'd spend a bit more and get a used quality set tbh.

And thanks mate, it's currently broken lol

5. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

true true .. ill have to have a proper re think!

dam SR20 or CA18?

6. KillboSlaggins

CA at the moment

Thread is here

7. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

Whats the CA Like? ive heard mixed reviews

8. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

If it's a choice between Maxspeedingrods vs used "Quality" ones - All down to the condition and price of the used ones.
    You might need to replace top mount bearings, seals etc if they are done but then you have a nearly new set of quality coilovers.

I wouldn't buy used Maxspeedingrods/TA Technix or whatever other Sub £300 (when new) ebay brand coilovers, just from the points already mentioned.
    Fine from new, not spectacular. Just depends how long you intend on beating it around, you'd probably buy 3 sets of MSRs to one set of HSDs.

I'd personally put the money down on HSDs/BCs and see what finance/funding options are available to spread the cost if you can't afford the single hit :)

9. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

that's a fair comment actually .. the main problem is I'm not sure if I'm staying with this chassis long enough to justify "expensive" coilovers, also the main reason I'm going the "cheap route" is if I manage to catch a curb or drop a wheel down a pot hole (far to many around my way) id rather have a cheap replacement until I know what I'm doing :confused: .. I'm contemplating just going for it with the stock suspension and seeing how it goes haha

ive also read up that without reinforcing the strut towers on my car (BMW E46 325ti) they mushroom out and crack with coilovers/lowering springs :( so back to the drawing board for me.

10. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

I hate to say it but HSD, Meister, BC, Tein SS etc. ARE budget coilovers; but are well made enough to give you long-term use and a wide range of adjustment.

Having said that, when you're into the -300 range JOM and TA Technix aren't acctually all that bad, certainly in my experience - YES they are cheaply made you can tell, but they ride nice and I've had a few sets last me long enough. But at this range don't expect a quality adjustable damper - just ride height.

But these new-fangled ones for Nissans etc. are utter shite. You'll do about 1000 miles before seals are blown.

Your comfort is predominantly down to spring rate - just choose suitable springs and any set of coilies can be comfy providing they are at their working height range.

Best quality coilovers I've ever used were cusco stainless; god were they comfortable and I had no worries about them rusting away. They were fully rebuilt and I paid 200 smackers.

11. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Had a set on a e36 compact , the top mount broke on one , but they rode ok once set up properly , if a little harsh.

12. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

thanks for the input guys .. really appreciated!

one more question if I just kept the stock suspension would it make more of a hand full or would it be more of a gripped up set up being a soft suspension?

13. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

You what?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

just realized what i said before made no sense lol .. what about lowering springs? do they make much of a difference?

15. JordanCoupe

JordanCoupe New Member

Threw a set of those maxspeeding cheapo coilovers into a missile e36 drift car. Perfect for the job, there actually a lot more adjustable than I was expecting to be fair to them. 3 full drift days in including a lot of using the absolute width of the track and there still perfect.

I've no idea what they would be like on a road car but then again I've had everything from HSDs, TEINs, DCs, HKS, even Ohlins on road sliders before and Ive never found a set of coilovers that didn't make the ride noticeably more uncomfortable.

RE your comment about the front shock towers, don't worry about them, if you've anything to worry about its the rear subframe.
    mounting points, if you plan on doing a lot of proper drifting with any beemer you need to reinforce the back end of them.

16. r3k1355

Yea they do, but the stock dampers are pretty soft. A lot of the issues people have with the stock suspension is it's too high, too soft and usually worn right out.

Lowering springs, stiffer shocks and new top mounts aren't actually all that cheap anymore, so it's not a setup many people are going for.

17. mickyboi93

mickyboi93 New Member

If I'm honest its my daily so I would like abit of a softer ride haha, I'm just finding the amount of body roll difficult to manage on initiation and transitions etc.

ive considered polybushing the anti roll bars and using lowering springs to possibly reduce it?

18. r3k1355

Yea worth a shot, what state are the rest of the bushes in??

If they're also shot it's going to feel floppy and horrible even when lowered.

19. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member

I had them on an old E36 on the road. They do the job but don't expect them to last any real length of time.

20. LUX1

LUX1 Member

got maxspeedingrods coilies on a e36 atm, arent too bad but a bit harsh. Only had them on for a month though so cant say too much. Can say that a friend told me to make sure the top mounts are tight. I would suggest checking if you go ahead as they werent tight haha