The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Wrxbeano

Wrxbeano New Member

I wish i never got rid of my holset off my subaru
    It was a hy35 with 9cm h351 houseing and spooled quicker and made same sort of power on less boost then my new borgwarnor s257sxe

Also sold off my hx32

Big misstake but licky my pal got one in shed so thinging of puting that on but thinking of getting rid of the 12cm twin scroll houseing and going for something around 8 or 9 single is there somewhere i can get one from??

2. thebe

thebe Member

Compressor racing on eBay sometimes have them. Currently they seem to have a 11cm twin scroll one.

3. Wrxbeano

Wrxbeano New Member

Tjats a hx35 houseing looking for one to go on hx32

4. thebe

thebe Member

Oh yea, read your post wrong, sorry. Replying right after a nap is baaaaad :D

Sorry cant help you better. You could message compressor racing If they have something coming

5. JZHILUX-THAILAND

JZHILUX-THAILAND New Member

Holset or garret for my jz hilux can anyone help with advice

HX35 Cartridge with standard turbine wheel diameter 60/70 mm but compressor wheel will be changed to HX40 diameter 60/83 mm for higher power in low boost.
    Water cooled Bearing housing.
    Compressor housing with 4" inlet and MWE ( Map width enhancement)
    Turbine housing T3 twin scroll 12 cm2 area. However, I am afraid that the header will be more difficult to make with T3 twin scroll. You should ask BangMod to confirm that he can make T3 twin scroll for your 6 cylinder engine. (T3 twin scroll will work well with 4 cylinder engine) Normally, T4 twin scroll will be better for 6 cyliner. The cost of this hybrid HX35/40 turbo will be Baht 28,000.

Alternatively, I can propose Garrett T04R with water cooled bearing housing and 360 degree upgrade thrust bearing kit for high boost application. Turbine wheel 64/74 mm, turbine housing A/R 0.84 twin scroll, Compressor wheel T04R 66/84 mm and compressor housing 4" inlet. I will quote you same price at Baht 28,000. I will provide another V-band clamp and one pair of 4" adaptor to weld on the down pipe. This T04R spec will be more efficient than Holset.

6. HuD_91gt

HuD_91gt New Member

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum as this seems to be the most comprehensive threads on holsets available.

I purchased a HX35w a couple of years ago online. At the time it seemed to be a great option for my 2.8L Datsun motor. My plan has always been a 350-400whp.

I finally took a close look at this and it is complete trash. Excessive shaft play cause the compressor to run into the housing and bent all the blades. Housing looks like it could be useable (small marks which could be sanded out)

When I looked at advice on other forums everyone says junk it and go for a modern turbo. It seems for the cost of a rebuild kit and a billet compressor I can make this useable for less then half of a new turbo.

I currently have a 12cm and 18cm housing, twin scroll. I have a single scroll manifold but do plan am attempting to build my own twin scroll. Does anyone have any advice? Is an extended tip compressor worth it? Or should I go with a Cheaper OEM style for my purposes?

These engines are not the best flowing, but there has been fairly extensive porting done. A fairly aggressive cam (290 duration, which is why I’m thinking twin scroll), full ARP hardware although still running cast pistons (good for about 350-400hp). ~8.6:1 compression.

#1646 HuD_91gt, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  7. hkp

hkp New Member

If you're on a budget, rebuild it, if you got money to buy a better turbo snatch up a Borg Warner. I wouldn't waste money on an extended tip and definitely run the 18cm backside

8. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Second all of the above except the housing size. I'd run the 12cm if it was me but if you have both then swapping between the two will be easy

9. hkp

hkp New Member

I'm an rx7 guy, need them big backsides

10. HuD_91gt

HuD_91gt New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will do a rebuild for the time being. Many expenses in the conversion (two wastegates, bov, you know how it goes). Once setup I can look at an upgrade.

I am curious what has changed in the last couple years though. You read this thread thethe holset turbos really sound amazing. Even some comparisons with Borg Sx series turbos.

I think the 12cm is the best start, especially with my power goals.

11. Roolis

Roolis New Member

Ok guys,need some help,i have stock internals RB25 with supporting mods around at 410hp and 430Nm and can get HX52 with 11cm2 housing from my friend,wont it be lagy?now i have GT45 on twinscroll exhaust manifold and full spool is around 3700 rpm and HP with NM are at very end,6000-6500rpm,my goal is to have full spool at least at 3200rpm and all power a bit earlier,will HX52 make it happen or should i skip it?i am not lloking for other turbos right now,just wonder if this one would fit,thanks in advance

12. BenRice

HX52 on an 11cm housing? Sounds a bit choked to me

The tried and true HX35 with a 10-12cm housing on a twin scroll would be well into it's work at 3200 and push over 400hp without breaking a sweat. If you wanted head room maybe consider an HX40 but remember bigger compressor wheels also add to lag.

13. Roolis

Roolis New Member

HX52 was used on Volvo,so they had 11 housing,but thats what i thought about lag,maby anybody used it even with a bit bigger housing and can share experience

14. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

I've got a few questions for Stav or any of you with experience please guys...

I've got an RB25DET with standard internals & recently bought an HX35 (7 blade, 12 cm) & a Chinese 44mm Tial external wastegate. I'm not in a financial position to buy a top mount twin scroll manifold & forged internals yet, so will probably only run 1.2 bar.

My questions are:

1) As the standard manifold appears to be a T3 twin scroll, can I safely run this turbo by modifying the manifold- ie cutting it & welding a flange for ext w/g?

2) Will it be a major restriction using the standard manifold until I can afford a "proper one"?

3) Will there be a big difference to the spool if I don't run a divider through that pipe to separate the flow? If I do need 1, how easy is it to make & how's it done?

Thanks, Si.

15. BenRice

First off, the stock RB manifold looks twin scroll but isn't. There's A LOT of debate about this, but ultimately the qualities that a TS manifold delivers is not found in the stock RB manifold.

That being said, there's no problem putting an HX35 on it and running it. 12cm might be a touch big for the stock manifold as it does choke the engine more than the octopus legs style.

You will probably run into clearance issues between the compressor housing and the manifold though, so grab some new longer manifold-turbine housing studs for the manifold and a 10mm T3 spacer. Not ideal, but it will work as long as you ensure all surfaces are flat and not warped.

Expect 1 bar by 4k and building boost from 3k. Set the rev limit less than 7500 to give the stock internals a chance, they're not as bullet proof as the RB20's.

Your biggest issue is the wastegate placement. Yes you can cut and weld the factory manifold, but it's old cast metal and needs to be preheated to avoid cracking. Then when removing the manifold you've got the issue of almost certainly breaking the manifold studs in the head.

If it was me, and considering where the turbo will sit, i would get a wastegate v-band fitted to the turbine housing. The wastegate can sit on top of the housing and run down the back of the dump. It's more common than you think, and increases the value in the housing should you go twin scroll top mount in the future and swap the housing for a normal one again. I don't think you can retain the turbine housing wastegate in top mount as it would clash with the cam cover

Two examples:

IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG

16. anzhar

anzhar Member

Hi.

I'm building my altezza beams 2litre engine with forged poisons and rods

I want a Holset turbo that will be good for 500whp on shell v power

Around 20 to 30 psi

I've seen brand new hx52 on eBay for £120 and the description say good for 700bhp, but not sure if it's took big, but I've also read they ok for high revving engines

Any help much appreciated

17. DarkDrifter

DarkDrifter Member

@BenRice How much you take for weld a Vband on Turbo housing ?
    I cannot find anybody here ( Ntherlands) can do it !!!

I plan to put an Holset H1E on my stock RB20 with some mods I will do a topic tonight.

18. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Go to any fabricator, they'll be able to cut a hole and weld on a pipe.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DarkDrifter

DarkDrifter Member

I will check I already check with two but there are afraid of weld it !!!! :)

20. BenRice

Then keep going until you find one

Pre-heating the housing before welding is not unheard of, especially if it's an older, secondhand housing that's done it's fair share of heat cycles