bmw 330d six speed (gs6-53dz) for 1jz conversion

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by 240jz, Apr 24, 2016.

1. BrianConor

BrianConor New Member

Guys be careful with FTWL Motorsport clutches, they are very poor quality. Flywhels are made from cheaper steel and mostly from used clutch discs. This is 2JZ clutch worked in 650HP engine. Clutch after 150 miles exploded in drift training after clutch kicking.

received_298788387372362 — kopia.

received_298788387372362.

2. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

Ouch, that does not look good. Have you contacted them about the failure? And did they do anything for you if you did?

Interesting you should post that as I've seen lots of stuff go through that guy "KMS Engine" that seems to be seriously high spec and drifty and never see any complaints there but I suppose he isn't the end user.

Definitely food for thought, thanks for adding that!

3. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

I was curious about that failure so I contacted FTWL to enquire about it.
    They have told me that there was only a couple of cases of a failure like this due to the materials used initially to make the flywheels. Nowadays they use a better quality steel instead of the cast iron they first used, and they have had no issues since that material change. They admitted responsibility for that design error by using materials and have asked me to post that response to clear up the situation. Again, the guy was very helpful and informative while messaging, really pleasant to deal with overall for me so far.

4. Karolo

Karolo New Member

Hello everyone I am Karol the owner of FTWL company. I would like to leave an answer related to picture posted by Brian.
    We manufacture clutch sets since 2008 and during that time we had only one problem which was caused by our mistake - that one seen in that picture.

That clutch set was used by my friend from Warsaw (capital of Poland) and it worked much longer than 150 miles but that is not the point. We had made only two sets like that. One which is seen in the picture and 2nd one which was working perfect all the time.

We had made both flywheels using cast iron material and as usual before that it was tested using FEM analyse. As it turned out (picture) it didn't hold and broke as seen in the picture. By the way Filips car has got almost 900 hp (it is not 650 hp car... it uses Borg Warner S400SX turbocharger...).

In general we use C45 steel to make our flyweels but only in that two cases we used something different for tests. High grade lighter cast iron (as we were told). I think that the problem was caused by the structural problems of that material which was unseen for us during machining or quality control process.

We took full responsibility for that failure, we had sent to my friend new C45 flywheel, new clutch discs, new Sachs performance pressure plate and throwout bearting. He also received new bellhousing from us.

Nobody was hurt because of that failure and nothing else hadnt been destroyed. To prevent potential problem with 2nd set made of that "great" cast iron we decided to send the owner new clutch set for free too (all parts were brand new including arp bolts for the flywheel). We also paid for the work (changing of the clutch set).

Each replaced clutch set made of new material work till today. Nowadays we use only C45 steel which cannot break like that - it is not possible.

Despite of our effort and knowledge we are only people, we make mistakes sometime but now our clutch sets are completely problems free. I am not kind of person that bury head in the sand if there is a problem. I am always honest and truthful that is why I signed up to explain why all of that took a place.

If you want to test our products please contact us direct. Multiple cars in Poland are using our clutch sets from many years without any problems.

#24 Karolo, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Karolo

Karolo New Member

I would also like to show that we make our products using 2019 Solidworks and Solidcam software and brand new or very fresh 3-4-5 axis CNC machines. Example below.

foto.JPG

6. Karolo

Karolo New Member

Filip's statement - owner of that clutch set seen in the picture

Filip.

7. Karolo

Karolo New Member

And material certificate of current production batch (22 tons of round steel bars)

atest.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member

Decent thread with a good bit of knowledge being thrown about. :thumbs:

9. counteract

counteract -o=me

I'm currently working on an adapter plate design to bolt a GS6-53DZ to a K20. I managed to source bellhousing/engine information from both engines so can draw up something that should be accurate upon test fitting.

My idea means that no special flywheel would be required, all flywheel and clutch components would be off the shelf items. It's pretty early yet but I want to try and create a JZ one too if it works. An RB one may be in the works for a mate too.

10. smokebillowing

smokebillowing Active Member

Has anyone actually pushed one of these gearboxes yet? The GS6-53DZ? Does anyone have any videos or anything of one strapped to a 2JZ making good power? I've very close to pulling the trigger on this kit, just need a bit of convincing.

11. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

I believe there's a few guys in the european drift scene / championships pushing them pretty hard making decent torque.

The box itself is rated pretty highly from ZF - higher torque rating than an r154 AFAIK. If the E39 5 speed box is anything to go by, then the 6 speed box should be pretty hard to bust while being cheap to replace.

I'm currently waiting on a conversion kit from FTWL and after that arrives, I'm ready to start into the conversion.

12. smokebillowing

Cheers for your input man. I've spoken to a fair few people now including Karol, and he's sent me a lot of links with big power 2J powered vehicles running the 530d box. I'm going to go for it seeing as the alternative will be like £6k

13. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

Karol is great to deal with. Really pleasant and informative. That guy KMS engine over in Poland seems to use a lot of FTWL stuff including the GS6-53DZ box and kit on his own GS300 drift car making more power and torque than I ever will lol.

14. smokebillowing

Yeah for sure man! Even just looking up this thread^, not many people would be honest, and address a mistake in that fashion, and provide a good technical route cause for failure, as well as refunding everything and correcting the issue. He's a good guy.

I'm dubious about the gearbox because i'll be aiming at around 800lb/ft of torque, but my chasis is lighter than most, so i think it'll hold up okay. Hope so anyway! Also, have you seen the remote shifter Karol offers? It's gangsta and i want one.

15. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

800 ftlb! That's quite a bit. Is there a build thread for it I can stalk? Haha.

I have, it looks awesome. I've got a samsonas shifter for when mine goes on to trick people into thinking it's a sequential :wack:

16. smokebillowing

Ah nice! There is: https://www.driftworks.com/forum/threads/2jz-180sx.268931/

I've not updated it in a long time, but i plan on getting the laptop out tonight and posting progress pics up :)

17. Hupert

Hupert New Member

Hi all, i want to mount a GS6-53DZ gearbox to a AJ16 Jaguar supercharged engine. there`s no adapterkit available so i want to create one myself. Does anyone has the bolt hole pattern of this gearbox with the right holedims. Ifso, would you be kind enough to share it with me?