Mx5 jag v6 and a bmw box?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Jaegerbomb, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Jaegerbomb

Jaegerbomb New Member

Evening all, being young stupid and broke, I have decided to start a bit of an mx5 drift build. I don’t fancy going down the turbo root. I’m convinced that the best budget engine for small cars at the moment is the jag aj30 (needs to be budget as I will probably send the rods through the bonnet) am I right in considering this as a valid option? The standard early mx5 5 speed starts to shit itself at about 240hp I think and my right foot isn’t very clutch/ gearbox friendly, what gearboxes would slide in relatively hassle free? Would a zf do? Alternatively is it out of the question strengthening the standard box as it hooks up to the jag engine with no adapter plate? Look forward to hearing your responses and suggestions.

Ta

Will

2. oilyT

oilyT New Member

I have a jag s type 5 speed manual box if your interested ?

3. Jaegerbomb

Jaegerbomb New Member

What kind of price?

4. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of staying N/A but not sure about that particular v6. I'd be more interested in a Nissan or Toyota V6.

5. Jaegerbomb

Jaegerbomb New Member

Aj30 by most accounts is more reliable than a vq(not to say a vq isn’t reliable) haven’t done my research on Toyota v6 engines tbh. I will look into them as well.

6. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

They are fine, the odd issue but mostly there isn't much to them. They just aren't impressive, they don't have the grunt.

7. Jaegerbomb

Jaegerbomb New Member

People can rev them to over 8k on stock internals, the same engine used in the noble m12 - no grunt? Ik it comes in a jag but it was designed primarily by Porsche!

8. oilyT

oilyT New Member

Will pm you.:)

9. oilyT

oilyT New Member

The con rods are the weak link in the aj30 . the powdered metal rods have a habit of going out of round and spinning shells.

10. 200bhp

200bhp New Member

I like the Jag V6 - but they can knacker the crank without warning - I have one outside with 60k on it with a knocking crank.

I'm sure you're aware of the (very expensive) Rocketeer kits, I'm sure they are using the MX5 box