wider wheel track?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Pacco, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Pacco

Pacco New Member

Hello everyone,

New guy here.
    I'm in the middle of a drift car project and i have a few questions about drift setup.
    The car is a '92 S13 with sr20det ~ 320 hp.
    I am going to use mitto jap alignment for quick and snappy transition. I don't like slow transition. I want a quick selfsteer.
    I already have pbm pro coilovers 8kg with 6kg.
    I will purchase knuckles and all adjustable arms.

The exterior body it is still stock.
    I will use 225/45/17 or 215/40/17 on 8.25 +25 offset front (R888 or AD08 or RSR), and 235/40/18 on 18x8.75 +20 offset for the rear (R1R, or SS595 or other cheap tires).
    In the first place i wanted to keep it stock on the exterior...but now, before i will paint the car, i was looking for body kit and overfenders and i might want to fit something.

My question:
    if i fit 20mm front fender, 50 mm rear fenders....i will need to increase wheel track, but i will increase equaly front and rear. Does it affect my handling and rear wheel traction? It will gain rear grip for wider wheel track, or it will lose more easily? for the front, will my car still be snappy on transition?

Thank you.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Increasing track in the rear makes the car snappier. Not ideal when learning

Increasing front track does help with stability, but only really noticable at higher speeds (ie 3rd gear and up)

Is it your first drift car? If so I'd recommend to not go overfenders and wider track. Steel fenders hold up much better to the rigours of learning much better than fibreglass

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

And there is a massive difference in rolling diameter between a 225/45 and a 215/40. If its a non-budget tyre and/or you've got lock modifications then the 215/40 is the better choice. A 215/45 is a good middle ground between the two

4. Pacco

Pacco New Member

No. I drifted before. I drifted with the same car in 3 different stages, but stock car (stock seat, stock harness, no roll cage,etc)
    1) Stage 1 ca18det, jic magic coilovers, Cusco 1.5 way diff, stock angle kit, with old and free used tires on 16" ( i thing they were 16x6.7 or 7)
    2) Stock sr20det with vvt, jic magic coilovers, Cusco 1.5 way diff, new tires front and rear but cheap brand (Tigar) 17x9 et20 front, 18x10.5 et30 rear, add few extra degrees on angle for fitting rack spacers (had some pretty nice runs, but with 34 psi for the rear, and a lot of clutch kicks)
    3) 250HP sr20det vvt, tein coilovers, same diff, weight reduction, retread tires front and rear ( terrible control, weird grip, heavy tires); changed at the event front tires with the previous new Tigar tire and handling changed dramatically. The reason i didn't drifted with previous wheels was i keep hitting wheel on full lock (17x9.75j et 20).

New car:
    - SR20DET forged, compression raised to 9:1
    - uprated cams, valves, etc
    - top mount gt2871r with external wastegate
    - megasquirt standalone (i aim for 320-330 hp, hope the engine won't be stressed at this power)
    - kaaz 2 way diff
    - pbm coilovers pro 8kg with 6kg
    - bucketseat
    - harness
    - 6 points roll cage
    - driftworks arms and knuckles
    - dual caliper handbrake setup
    - xxr 527 wheels with good front and rear tires (front Toyo R888 or Yokohama AD08), rear Toyo R1R, or Federal SS595
    - i will keep the front interior
    - rear i will strip
    - uprated intercooler and cooling system
    - other minor mods..

I will stay with same wheel specs for front and rear (i don't want to have 2 wheels 17x8, and 2 wheels 17x9 for the front, for example) and also i would like to stay as well with same tire sizes so i can progress.
    I know i need seat time, but i want to start good with the car also

Why it is such a difference between 225/45 and 215/40. Why you recommend 215/40? What are the benefits? Thank you

#4 Pacco, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019