Drift E36 M62B44 Swap/Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Joe Ross, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Joe Ross

Joe Ross Member

Right so,

I've been into drifting now for around 2 years. I started at Buxton and try to go somewhere once a month. I currently have a caged m50b25 swapped e36. I've had the enigne for 2 years now and am looking at upping the power. After research into turbo or supercharging my m50 I decided the most reliable way to add power would be a V8 swap.

?temp_hash=7df942cef14af147094fb11f25b86e09.

When browsing facebook I noticed a cheap e39 540i come up for sale. Managed to barter the price slightly and got myself a bargain!

20180930_143220. 20181002_173838.

I've started breaking the car now ready for engine removal and selling a few bits to try and make my money back hopefully getting a free engine. Engine is now ready to pull, going to clean the engine and replace all worn gaskets as they are a bit leaky.

IMG-20181020-WA0003.

Just need to decide on what sump kit I'm going to use. I've been looking at the P.O performance kit as it is straight bolt on, only modification is the steering column so I'm told.

http://www.poperformance.co.uk/?product=bmw-m60-m62-v8-swap-kit-e36-e46-z3-z4-bolt-on

Need to decide on what manual gearbox I'm going to run also, as far as I am aware if I use an M62 or S62 manual gearbox I can keep the crank sensor on the flywheel, & if I use an adapter plate or an M60 manual gearbox then I need to change the crank pulley to the earlier M60 and relocate the crank sensor? If anyone can shed any light on this would be appreciated!

I'm looking forward to building this over winter, not sure if my bank balance is though!

Attached Files:

2. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

Following this! Been considering tearing apart my 540/6 drifter and dropping it in a spare E46 shell I have lying around :D, super excited to watch this progress!
    Mine is running the stock M62 Manual box (S6S420G). You can get these in E39 535/540/M5 and E46 M3's (need a V8 bell housing though).
    My thoughts if I were to start again though, would be to get a kit from PMC or another company that make adaptors, to run a 530d box with the engine (the one lots of people bolt to JZs). These gearboxes are stronger, cheaper and probrably the same price, or cheaper, overall as a S6S420G. Both S6S420G's I have (M3 and 540) both crunch 3rd (common wear issue), and getting them rebuilt is a wallet damaging experience.
    Not sure where, but I have seen a thread on here of someone modifying their bell housing to fit the M62 crank sensor.

3. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Looks sweet! I've just started my e36 thread as I've just started drifting it, was looking into the v8's and the sump and crank issues you mentioned were the only two I seemed to find. Will be interesting to see how you get on

4. Joe Ross

Joe Ross Member

Right so I have managed to find an E39 M5 6 speed gearbox and flywheel. Can I use the S62 flywheel on my M62 and a S62 clutch kit? I've read something online saying that the crank sensor pickup on the M62 flywheel is different to the S62.

5. Benzo

Benzo Member

Late Reply to this but...

All S62 and M62 parts are interchangeable on the transmission side, box, flywheel etc all bolts up 100%

S62 & M62 share the same location for the crank sensor in the Bellhousing, its the M60 Engine that using a different front pulley & front cover to locate the Crank sensor.

Good luck with the swap, I'm almost ready to fire mine up once its wired.

6. Joe Ross

Joe Ross Member

The gearbox I found magically disappeared once I said I was going to pay through paypal and not bank transfer, funny that... anyway after a bit more researching I've heard if you use a 6 speed V8 box then you need to have a custom propshaft made but if you use a 5 speed then a propshaft from a ZF gearbox fits perfectly.

What gearbox have you got on yours?

7. Joe Ross

Joe Ross Member

Engine is out! Was tight getting it out by myself especially over the steering box. I have since taken the gearbox off and moved it into the workshop. Going to put it onto my stand and start stripping it down to make sure everything is A-OK. Sump kit should be on with me next month so looking forward to getting that on. Looks like it's going to be a tight squeeze into my 36!

20181118_142806.

8. Benzo

Benzo Member

Boxes are hard to find, i've seen them forsale for over £1k, but it took me over a year to shift mine at £650 so its a buyers market.

I have a 6 Speed Tractive Sequential with flatshift etc, Using Elite Transmissions E36 M3 Bellhousing and PMC Adaptor Plate & Alloy flywheel.

There is a Good group on Facebook (if you use it) covering E36 V8 conversions

9. GlenF95

GlenF95 Active Member

Whats this group called please mate?

10. Benzo

Benzo Member

"BMW e36 v8's"

11. Donny

Donny New Member

Is this swap running already?

Im also doing this swap but i only need to know how you did the m62b44 non vanos engine harness

I mean connecting this harness to the e36 X20 connector properly

Any info in this?

Thanks!

12. mimi

mimi New Member

Donny did u find the solution for engine wirring ?? i mean to conect your m62 to e36 x20 conector??

13. Donny

Donny New Member

Yes i did , i bought a adapter harness from m62 to e36 x20 connector.

Wiring was done in about an hour with all the grounds and + wires ect.

Driving the car for about 3 months now and no problems so far

D3D1F721-7284-4FA7-ADCB-0EB617B3EEB5.

14. mimi

mimi New Member

nice job ... did u modifikate the oil pan ?? and also do u have a photo of mounts ??

15. Donny

Donny New Member

No i mounted this set from ADAMAT PERFORMANCE on ebay.

Costs about 500 dollars with modified oil pump

DAF57758-A0F3-4EE1-90EC-6B2B03BFCFD7.

16. mimi

mimi New Member

awesome!!! i need to do by my self ewerythink i try to order from ebay but no shipment for my country ... it will take lot of time to me

17. Donny

Donny New Member

Yea i did everything myself too.

Done it in about 60 hours total , but most parts i could order online.

Only the exhaust i had to make,

And the driveshaft had to be welded , a company did this for me, shortened , welded and balanced

18. Alex hopkins

Alex hopkins New Member

Did you have to mod the steering column at all matey and could u send me the link to the harness adaptor

19. Donny

Donny New Member

Hi , i used a i believe e90 or e46 steering linkage , and the harness adapter is from ebay , search for LetTheBasskick , he makes all kinds of harnesses

20. Alex hopkins

Alex hopkins New Member

any one got a link to and bosh ecu pin out diagram