How can I get my car to the track at 20?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Dreg, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Dreg

Dreg New Member

I'm 20 years old and have wanted to get into drifting for a while. In my younger years (not to say im particularly old now) I've wanted to get into drifting but it has been unrealistic due to the lack of money. Now that im 20 and have the money to start I've done a lot of research and asking around and come to the conclusion a 350z would be a good starting car for me. I've found a lot of cheap 350s around and would love to buy one but the only issue I'm facing is how im going to get the car to the track. Everything seems to be affordable apart from the insurance. It costs crazy amonts for insurancde on a 350 for me and any other good strating drift car for that matter, so I am confused as to how there are many young drifters around. I have thought of insuring a parent on my car and then driving it myself as it is not my daily so won't be driven all that often, just to and from tracks and maybe the odd car show, but is this too risky as I have heard stories of this working fine and stories of it going very badly when caught. Just wondering if anyone has a solution apart from wait anothr 5 years for my insurance quotes to plumet.

2. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

Buyer a cheaper starter car. MX5, insurance will be much less IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fraser Mac

Fraser Mac Moderator
    Staff Member

Just get a cheap BMW to start, crash it learning for a few years and work your way up to something cool when you have the skill to back it up!

Dont bankrupt yourself over your hobby or it wont ever be fun.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Oleg S

Oleg S New Member

I am 23 and have exactly the same issue. After countless hours trying to figure it out the only solution I came to is to get an 1.6/ 1.8 MX5 2004 or older, weld the diff, install proper coil overs, steering wheel amd a proper seat and learn on it until I get enough no claims bonuses and obviously tick over 25 to the be able to ensure a 350z, Silvia, E46 330ci or whatever your brave ass desires..

We are in England and things work differently here. I agree that MX5 is not cool and bla bla, but good things take time and sadly it is what it is...

Also, many experienced drifters actually advise to learn on a low hp car as you have to use right angle and inertia to get it right. Anyone can do it on a JZ or LS, or other beasts, try and do it on a car with no engine, it actually requires some skill and it becomes not just about flooring it..

5. Taigaiko

Taigaiko New Member

Just rent a tow truck to get it to and from shows and have another, more boring car as your daily, then track day insurance when you go drifting. That's what I'm going to be doing at least.

Of course, this is limited by whether or not you have space off-road to store it.

6. Oleg S

Oleg S New Member

I thought about it too, but!

How much does a tow truck cost to get a car from London to the nearest drift day event ( about 100 miles) and back? £150? Also the track day insurance? I would expect it to be around £150 - £200, which is equivalent to one months insurance, but then you can actually drive your car to maintenance garage and what not.

Are my figures right?

7. Taigaiko

Taigaiko New Member

Those figures sound about right, the other option is one day insurance on the days you want to use the car, I don't see the point in full comp insuring your drift car for the year if you have a place offroad to store it, if you're only going to be using it 3 or 4 (maybe more depending on your personal situation) times a year.

8. Michael quinn

Michael quinn New Member

Try getting some quotes from admiral, quoted me £600 for a modified 350z (lowered, wheels, exhaust, seats etc.) and im 20 with 3 years ncb, may help that im a home owner but don't think it would massively affect it. If that fails, you could look into getting a cheap older diesel suv as a daily and a trailer and get a trailer licence (roughly £600) and trailer it to the track? Could make some of the costs of the trailer stuff back by collecting scrap cars and doing transport for people. Or even just rent a trailer specifically to get to drift events while you get the experience and save up to buy your own trailer.