Suitable car for a daily and towing?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Conorkydd, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

Hopefully this is in the right section.

Im looking to see what people are using as a daily driver and for towing their drift cars the odd weekend.

Im currently building an is200 which is turbo and will be stripped down to the bones to keep it light as possible, how light that will be i dont know as these are heavy cars to start with, hopefully it will be down to the 1000-1100kg mark. I also need to allow some weight for fuel/tyres/tools ect. Up until now the car was my daily but fuel costs are just too high due to the amount of milage im doing.

I need something that would suit as a daily and for towing. Im looking towards cars at the moment as i couldn't afford run to a daily, drift car and a van/4x4. What are you lot using? The car will be getting towed on a light weight aluminium trailer.

I have been looking down the lines of audi/bmw cars as the cost of tax and insurance on a second vehicle in ireland is astronomical. Thanks.

#1 Conorkydd, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. Krister86

Krister86 New Member

I had an mitsubishi pajero 95, 2.5 tdi ... should be looking really hard to find a more reliable car

3. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

Yeah, thats what im thinking, i might just have to daily a jeep but the tax/insurance will be a killer because i dont have a commerical policy at the moment

4. Krister86

Krister86 New Member

It isnt the fastest car to take you from A to B, but it takes you safe to the track. If im not remebering totally wrong, it could go with 3.5 tons on trailer! And it was a cheap car to own...did not use much diesel

5. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

I will have to look into it, i would have to take out a second policy because i need a car as a daily, the only disadvantage is my no claims cant be used on a second policy and i would have to take out a commercial policy for the pajero, that would probably cost around 2500 for the year, commerical road tax is 333 but to tax it privately would cost up on 1000 for the year too. Its a very expensive country when it comes to motoring unfortunately

6. milsom93

milsom93 Member

I went through the same process a few years ago, its such a mine field.

Car wise BMW 5 Series estate is the most popular. It gives you 2.1 tonne tow capacity and air bags on the back to level it up or the newer shape Audi A6 all road give you 2.5 tonne I believe to give you some breathing space if the budget stretches. Seen plenty of people use these no bother and are awesome for every day life.

I ended up going for a 4x4 though as I couldn't be bothered with hassle from the police from being borderline/over weight. Got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2006 for £2K, 3.5 tonne limit, 3Ltr merc lump that pulls well, comfy ride with loads of gadgets, Fit loads of tires and tools in the boot, has never let me down but does cost a bit to run.

7. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

Do estate cars generally have a higher towing capacity? I was looking into the 2008+ 520d and a4 2.0d estate just for the reason that in ireland the tax is over 1000e+ a year for any bigger engine size and cars before 2008 are taxed on engine size rather than carbon emissions. Luckily where i work has a weigh bridge so i can make sure im fully legal before loading up and hitting the road.

8. JordanCoupe

JordanCoupe New Member

I'm using a 2.2 Santa fe 2wd.

Cheap as anything on fuel, havnt opened the bonnet in the year I've had it and cheap to buy. Tad bit underpowered but a 50e remap sorts that out.

Only downside is tax is 950 but having done the maths it's the cheapest way out if you want to keep a daily car as well like i do.

9. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

I think this is definitely the cheapest way around it. I have third party extension on other cars with insurance. So i could have a grand vitara or sante fe and take a new policy out in my fathers name for it. Would only cost max 2500e for the year, which to be honest i would be very happy with. I would daily a jeep but it just wouldnt suit me right now so a diesel daily and jeep will do the trick. Do you happen to know the towing capacity of the santa fe? I think 2.0 diesel grand virtara is 1800kg or 2000kg but i cant rightly remember.

10. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

i'm using a Toyota hi-ace regius, 1kz 3.0td it will pull a fair bit being the 1kz and super reliable too mines done 350000km so far , its insured as a people carrier with the back bench stripped out for tools wheels tyres , will still seat 4 using the middle seats , you could probably strip it right out if you need, weighs about 1750kg i believe

11. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

Unfortunately in ireland it would cost roughly 1500e a year to tax one, if it was commerical, tax would only be 333 euros for the year, but in order for me to be insured in a commercial i would have to take out a second policy, last time i got a qoute it was 3500e for the year i think the only way around it for me is to take out a second policy on a 2.0 jeep or get a daily such as a 520d, which i think is plated to tow up to 1800kgs. Hopefully i can strip enough weight out of the is200 to make it possible. Thanks for the reply

12. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

that sounds mad, they try hard to get rid of the older cars these days. hopefully i can get something pre 73 one day . good luck with the search

13. Conorkydd

Conorkydd New Member

Yeah its pretty expensive here thanks, you too

14. s14_drift

s14_drift New Member

Can i revive this thread, I am looking at vehicles that can pull 2500kg as im unsure about trailer weights, my car is around 1200kg, so I was thinking car-1200 trailer 700?- wheels tools fuel, 200 ish, any advice is welcome