Sr20det got oil in all 4 cylinders help.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by s14_drift, Apr 12, 2020.

1. s14_drift

s14_drift New Member

I rebuilt my sr20det with new pistons rings etc I'm 99% sure I offset the rings but it was a while ago that I put the engine back together, I didnt replace the valve stem seals as it didnt cross my mind at the time and the car has been without oil for around 6-7months, after my first few starts I noticed it wasnt running 100% and I looked into the cylinders and all had blackened apart from C1 turned out the coil wasnt firing, sorted that out and now C1 also has oil in the cylinder, I get a light amount of blue smoke and the car has only been sat at idle, tried to drive and it misfires, I'm hoping its stem seals and will be doing a compression test tommorow, any other advice? Also I would like to remove the stem seals without taking the head back off if possible.

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Can the stem seals be done without removing the head? I didn't think so?

Really you wanna be doing a leakdown test to try and figure out where the issue is.

3. s14_drift

s14_drift New Member

I think it's possible, spoke to a few people that say out either compressed air or rope in the cylinder to stop the valve dropping when the springs off, gonna try get my hands on a leak down tester

4. Spawn_CA18

Spawn_CA18 Member

compressed air is a known way for keeping the valve in place while the retainers are off.

However having oil in all 4 cylinders might be caused by something different then the seals.

After checking the leaks with leak down tester, you might want to check the turbo compressor outlet/ intercooler / throttle body for any oil residue. Additionally make sure the breather PCV on the cam cover is working and plumbed correctly. Positive pressure on cam cover might cause oil leaks to the cylinders .

I'm not saying it's not the seals, but those 2 worth checking before you start to spening money on parts.

5. s14_drift

s14_drift New Member

I'm taking the head off, I'm not convinced the honing was done correctly, I got someone to do it for me who has previous experience with honing, but i could barely see any honing Mark's when I got it back and after researching this morning it seems a cross hatch pattern should be visible, I'll be checking the other things and replacing the stem guides and seals while heads off again,

Thanks for the reply

6. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Dude. Check the PCV. It takes 5min and doesn't require taking the head off

7. s14_drift

s14_drift New Member

I will be checking that but I'm not comfortable with leaving the cylinders in the current state, pretty sure they've had bore wash as well