2JZGTE VVTi boost issues

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Kearney, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Kearney

Kearney Member

Lads I'm looking for some advice.

I did a 2jzgte vvti aristo swap into my 94 mk4 supra.

Its running,
    W58 manual gearbox
    Fmic
    Hks catback
    2nd cat
    Restrictor ring
    Generic induction kit.
    Walbro fuel pump
    Aristo auto ecu

Anyway, its a standard engine. Before i fitted it i gave it a full service with oem t/b kit and water pump.

The car runs spot on, nice and smooth, no hesitations or misfires.

My issue is with the boost, i can never get it to maintain boost. If i go through 1st and 2nd it will reach around 0.6 bar. Then if i put it into the higher gears it will go up to 0.8 bar but drop it around 0.5 bar before redline.

Ive ran the turbos in both TTC and sequential. Same result but the boost comes on in a different way.

Ive checked all the vsvs too and their resistance and all were fine. I spent a lot of time on the wiring and have all the extras running.

Im completely stumped. Has anyone any other suggestions? It just seems to drop off boost the higher the rpm goes. Is it an issue with the auto ecu holding back the boost maybe??

Heres a pic of the engine bay.

RpuX85N.

2. joelhachiroku

joelhachiroku Member

Time for a stand alone ecu maybe

3. Spawn_CA18

Spawn_CA18 Member

I'm pretty sure you did but have you confirmed the timing marks on the cam gears and the bottom gear after you change the timing belt?

I've came across this before, it was a jumped timing belt...

4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Does a stock 2j hold boost to limiter? The turbos are tiny

5. Kearney

Kearney Member

I know would probaly be the best bet but I'm just after buying a set of 18x9 and 18x10 Genuine BBS LMs for it so unfortunetly ill have to wait :-(

I checked them about 10 times after i did the belt and put a bit of mileage on it. All seems fine.

Well I'd imagine they should be atleast able to hold 1 bar up to redline considering the jdm twins can be run at 1.2 bar and I'm only managing 0.6 bar. I'm going to try the wastegate spring mod tomorrow and see are the wastegates a bit tired.

6. Kearney

Kearney Member

I did the wastegate spring mod and its running much better. Think my actuators might be goosed.