Drifting on alloys

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Jaiimez, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

so I brought an RX8 to use for drifting and I had planned to buy some steel rims to use for drifting to avoid damaging the alloys when a tyre blows, but now I'm reading and it seems steels are bad for drifting, so my question, am I gonna take damage on my rims if I blow a tyre or am I worrying about nothing?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

100% worrying about nothing

You don’t drift until tyres explode. They will become useless and undriveable on way before they are anywhere near popping

3. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

1526736_10203558344014097_1317048264487989032_n.

4. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

fair enough, I'd been to a few spectator events and seen people pop tyres locally I was concerned that would be a normal thing.

5. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

What do you mean by spectator events?

I can’t recall anyone I know popping a tyre drifting.

I’ve seen boy racers pop tyres doing ten minute long burnouts/donuts.

But that isn’t drifting

6. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

A group at our local speedway runs regular drift days, I've been to watch a few times before covid stopped allowing spectators.

Maybe I'm wrong and have misunderstood what I've heard, but seems like you'd hear a loud bang, then one of the cars would head back to the pit, I've assumed it's a tyre blowing.

7. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

I wouldn’t worry about it

I mean yeah you can blow a tyre out if you really try. I.e doing a burnout for ten minutes but that really isn’t drifting that’s just dicking around

Normal drifting once you run out of tread you are going to know about it long before it’s anywhere near going pop, you’ll have absolutely no grip what so ever. Thats when you go and put another set on.

So in short, nothing to worry about

Wont pop tyres unless you really go out of your way to

8. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

Fair enough hopefully it'll be apparent to me as much as you said.

Further to that, in average how often do you find yourself changing tyres, are one set lasting multiple days, or do you use multiple sets a day?

I've got 4 part worns aside for my first session, are they likely to last the day, or do I want to consider getting some more, they've how reasonable tread on they're about half way through their standard road life.

9. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Depends on the weather

if it’s a wet day, one set will last all day.

In the dry, depends on power level of your car, the surface of the track, what psi you’re running, how long the track is

Take as many as you have space for.

Personally I run brand new budgets, all the same brand so there is consistency. More expensive than part worns but you don’t have to pay to change the tyres over twice.

Depends a lot on seat time, if you’re having to queue up for 45 mins of every hour then you won’t get through as many vs an open fast track all day

Take as many as you can for the first day and see how it goes.

10. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

I'm not running much power, it's a 4-port RX8 (192hp), it'll be at Norfolk Arena if your aware of it, I did plan to do similar with new tyres, I just obtained 4 part worns from a friend for free, but once those are done, I'll probably go onto using new budget tyres.

as far as PSI ext that's all stuff I guess I need to learn. I've got 0 real world experience.

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

You should be fine

Start at 40psi in the rears, 30 in the front.

Get out there and enjoy yourself

12. Josh25252

Josh25252 New Member

did you compression check yours wondering whats the compression ? or you just bought a beater that ull run till engine blows ?

13. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

I brought it blind, but was only rebuilt 18k ago, so should be pretty good, I also am keen to learn to rebuild it eventually, so my attitude was it'll blow up eventually and it's a learning experience when they happens.

14. Jaiimez

Jaiimez New Member

I'm assuming my fronts should last all day?